What are your 5yr olds into?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Specky, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

My boys will be turning 5 in Nov, and I'm just curious what your kids are/were into at this age.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The best toy I've ever bought for my kids is easy - magnatiles. I bought them when the girls had just turned 4, and now they are almost 6 and those blocks still get played with every day by all 3 kids. They are expensive but totally worth it.

Also my girls are really in to Barbies (which doesn't help you) and pretend play - dress up.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can't go wrong with magna tiles for sure. Invest in them-well worth it. In fact, Christmas morning after all the gifts were opened, one of my boys went off to play-with magna tiles.

Aside from them, Legos. We actually had a Lego birthday party at 5 yrs old. We could open up our own store to be honest...

4. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!
    We have some magnets I bought them years ago, I forgot about and they love them! Magnatiles sound like a great idea!!

They have just discovered Legos and LOVE them!!
    A Lego birthday party?? Can you tell me more??

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm....I made decorations of Lego blocks and put them on the walls(we do it in our basement). I hung Lego decorations(I made) from the ceiling. Dh's cousin works for Lego(one of their main offices is five minutes from us), so we went to the employee store and got Lego cars as the goodie bag lol. It was sick! Lets see what else...

We had a Lego table set up kids could freely put Legos together. We also had Lego car races-where kids put together their cars and we raced them. Dh even dressed up a table to look like a race track. We had Lego coloring sheets as well.

For food, I did Lego sugar cookies, Lego cupcakes, and I made three Lego cakes(a cousin was here from Michigan who has a birthday two days later and had just lost his father, so we included him in on the festivities). I made cheese and crackers to look like Legos. And I think we did pizza for the food. I have the photos on fb. You can friend request me if you want(Meaghan Cianflone) and its under boys fifth birthday. :) It was fun and kids had a blast!

6. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Wow! Sooo, you're like a superhero??? Lol! That sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Lego's is a big hit here too! My twins are 4.5, will be 5 in feb, so we still have the mega block lego's for them, but they build with them daily.

My older kids (both girl and boy) love lego's too. My daughter's birthday is this week, she's turning 7, and she wants a Lego Star Wars party! ;)

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ugh legos. I don't bother yet... tiny pieces all over the floor. They got a lego firetruck for their birthday that I assembled (took me a while too) and they tore it apart like 5 minutes later. I'm holding off on getting them more, lol (I got a couple tubs of plain bricks at Walmart last Black Friday though that were a great deal, they might get that for their next birthday).

Magnatiles were the biggest hit. I think they've played with them every single day since Christmas. I got more for Easter too. My son still loves cars and Imaginext stuff as well.

9. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

My girls went to a lego birthday party in 1st grade. The birthday boy's Mom made a beautiful (and huge) piñata in the shape of a lego person's head. After each of the kids had a couple of turns, it still didn't have a scratch or dent on it. So they took off the blind folds and went through the line a few more time. Then they lowered it to prime whacking level. Then the adults each had a few turns. Then anyone who wanted had unlimited whacks. It was still pristine until about 45 minutes later someone held it down and poked the stick up through the bottom and shook the stuffing out of it. Yay, candy! A month later the birthday boy wore it as his Halloween costume. I don't think any of us will ever forget the Indestructible Lego Piñata.

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Legos are our big hit. My son can follow directions to complete portions of the ones intended for teenagers and adults. Plus, he's learning counting skills. The other day DH told him we needed 24 of something, and he said, "I'm going to make 4 piles of 6." You can't beat fun and educational.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

For our girls' 5th bday we got them bigger 2 wheeler bikes. They were also into blocks of all kinds (Lincoln logs, regular wood blocks, Legos- still the big ones at that age, but getting into the real "small" ones), dress up stuff, and all things arts and crafts (some day my house won't be covered in pieces of paper that have been cut into snowflakes, and crayons, pencils, and stickers everywhere- and I will probably miss the mess).

12. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

Trio blocks