What are your favorite nighttime Cloth Diapers

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by maybell, Feb 19, 2009.

1. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I currently cloth diaper, and just use BumGenius 3.0 (I think). Our twins are 9 months old and are nursing and eating well, and their night diapers are getting full. I currently use (1) full size and (2) newborn inserts in their BG pocket diapers for night. But they are soaked in the morning... they don't leak, but I'm thinking that we need more absorbancy.

Also, a comment from another thread made the comment that once they got their diaper situation figured out their child slept through the night again... hmm... so I was wanting to get a few more CDs anyway, and now I think I'll just get additional night time ones - but I need some help in figuring out what's out there and what works.

So... please let me know what works for you, especially if your babies are 8months+ so that it can be comparable.

What brand, are they AIO, Pocket, do you use add'l doublers/inserts, microfiber, hemp, bamboo...

thanks in advance!!

2. mikeyswife1999

mikeyswife1999 Well-Known Member

I haven't CD'd twins yet but I have CD'd my other kids and for night times I use Fuzzi Bunz (use those during the day, too) and I use a pre-fold wrapped around a regular insert for our night time dipe. I would assume you could try the same setup with a BG, too.

3. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I think I was the other post, right? DS stopped STTN and we tried EVERYTHING...and then I realized that when I would change him during any of the wakes (at first I was trying to get him back to sleep without changing him each time), he was soaked. I bought some Hemp Baby Big Weeds prefolds and some loopy-do doublers. I have to say that I'm not impressed with the loopy-do's (glad I only bought 2 at $12 each), but the hemp babies are fantastic! DS had been waking every two hours and DD started waking at 4 am (after both had slept from 7-7 only a month earlier!)...and then the first night I used the big weeds prefolds as inserts, they BOTH STTN and have every night since!

I fold the hemp prefold around the big BG3.0 microfiber insert and I open the outside snaps all the way. It's a bit puffy, but they are bone dry in the morning...they will actually go downstairs and one will wait patiently playing on the floor while I change the other - no complaints! Before I had to change them both immediately when they woke (before even thinking about carrying them downstairs!) because they acted so uncomfortable! The microfiber in the middle ends up soaked, but the hemp stays dry to the touch. I've heard great things about bamboo, too, but I only have experience with hemp so far. HTH!

4. maybell

that's GREAT! Thanks so much for the info! Wow, started sttn right away!

thanks for outlining exactly what you did... I had been adding in 2 newborn inserts, but then that took away from my stash of being able to use them as the 1 extra during the day. Then I cut a prefold that I'd been using as a burp cloth... probably cotton and added it to the inside, but folded it on top, and it was definitely soaked in the morning, though still nothing leaked out.

someone mentioned bamboo fabric, from a local playgroup, but I forgot if she used it all the time or at night... I think I remember her saying that it was nice and trim... but I hadn't found exactly what I wanted for that either. I might have to try to purchase some of those hemp prefolds and maybe some bamboo somethings to test out.

thanks again ladies!

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

YEs, I was going to suggest hemp. GOod luck. I do one microfiber & one hemp (both newborn size) in my diapers at night. I do change when he gets up to nurse in the middle of the night.

6. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(maybell @ Feb 19 2009, 03:02 PM) [snapback]1196703[/snapback]
    I might have to try to purchase some of those hemp prefolds and maybe some bamboo somethings to test out.

Let me know about the bamboo!

7. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I used bamboo prefolds for quite awhile and loved them! I used them during the day and at night. When nothing else would work, bamboo always did. Its absorbency is amazing!

8. maybell

I'm so excited to hear about the bamboo and hemp. I'm going to just order some of each. I'm especially interested in the bamboo for night & daytime... for my girl... she's already got a bigger booty than my boy... and the CD make it bigger! so hopefully the bamboo will help her to fit into her pants!!

thanks again ladies!!! shelley

9. maybell

I'm sure you all just wanted to know... Davis woke up again at 4a... and I went ahead and changed his diaper, it was soaked, but not leaking... I fed him a minute or two b/c he was so fussy and then he slept again until 7:30a. I'm really thinking that it is the diapers...

I stayed up last night searching the internet... because I sew, and can't see myself paying for squares of fabric... I did finally find a place the sold the bamboo terry cloth... I ordered some of it, and some of some other "fabric" that says it absorbs 10x its weight. I'm excited to see what its like.

After looking and seeing the options, I see that folding "prefolds" in thirds that are 2 layers will give me a 6 layer insert... and it will wash and dry quicker b/c its only 2 layers... I like the idea of folding it around the microfiber one, and that's what I'm planning on doing. I can't wait to get my fabrics and see how they work. I'll report back to let you know how I like the bamboo and that other fabric.

If any one is interested here's the fabric mill I ordered from: www.wazoodle.com
    I wish I'd found it a while ago... anyway, again, its just fabric, not completed diapers.