What Beauty Products are Ok? Everywhere I read has a different answer!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kitkat72783, Dec 11, 2008.

1. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

I'm still only 10 weeks along so not looking all that preggo yet but I have gone into maternity clothes due to the 7 pounds I've gained.

I feel so frumpy....Ugh!

My skin is breaking out like crazy, my leg hair is growing a mile a minute, My hair color is soooo faded and gross looking, I'm pale as frosty, oh and lets not even get started on the bikini area that I usually nair...LOL.....sorry TMI

Granted some of this is due to my complete exhaustion I've dealt with this trimester, but the rest falls under I'm to scared to use any products! (Thank god my hubby is in Brazil for a few weeks selling one od our houses there)

So what is really ok/bad
    Acne: I used to use proactiv, is that good/bad, any alternatives? Pregancy does not agree with my skin at all!
    Hair Dye: I usually do a box job?
    Self Tanner?
    Nair or any other hair removal cream?
    manicure/pedicure...is it ok to sit in those smelly salons for an hour...LOL

Any ideas? How did you stay out of the frumppies?

2. lromansky

lromansky Well-Known Member

From what I've read:

1. You should only do highlights your first trimester b/c they don't touch the scalp like dye...

2. Self Tanner is OK as long as it's not "professional" kind... You can do an internet search on that.

3. Acne products - I have no idea...sorry. I'd check with your doctor.

4. I am pretty sure Hair Removal cream is bad... I would shave if I were you.

5. I think Mani/Pedis are okay...

3. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My peri with the twins gave me the go ahead for Proactiv. That was 5 years ago though and, at that time, I also did an internet search looking at the safety of the ingredients during pregnancy and all was fine. Now, I do a search on Benzoyl peroxide and salycylic acid and it seems to have become a no-no so I'm not sure what to tell you. The sulfur mask is definitely okay though. Pregnancy totally doesn't agree with my skin either. The only things that tend to work okay for me are mineral-based make-ups and scrubbing well with an exfoliator every few days. The Zeno works occasionally. I do try to stay away from the chemical stuff now that there is some talk of it not being totally safe.

4. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I would check with your doc on those, esp the Proactiv. (I do remember that salicylic acid is a no-no. That was in the Neutrogena Rapid Clear I used to use when I started to break out ... so during pregnancy I've been breaking out all the time and can't use anything good on it. :( )

5. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

Alright, from a non practicing esthitician.....Salyicylic and Benzoyl peroxide are no no's for pregnancy. Drink LOTS of water to flush out your system and to keep your skin looking hydrated. If you are breaking out....find a oil free moisturizer and make sure you wash your skin with a very gentle cleanser. If money is tight, I love the aveeno calming cleanser. Unfortunately due to all the hormones your skin is probably going to have a lots of ups and downs, but whatever you do do not pick at your face. It will only make it worse and allow bacteria in. As far as the haircolor...nothing has been proven yet. I've worked with many hairdressers who are around all the chemicals their whole pregnancies and never had one problem with their children. Me personally, i had my hair done both pregnancies and although yes i did lose my daughter....it definitely wasn't from that. If you feel uncomfortable with dying your hair, wait until you hit the second trimester. Self tanners...not 100 % sure, but honestly i wouldn't due to chemicals inside the tanners itself. I think i actually did ask my ob at the time if it was okay and i'm pretty much sure they told me no. I also wouldn't do the nair or any chemical creams....just shave. As far as the mani and pedi....as long as the salon is well ventilated...you should be fine. The only thing that i went without during pregnancy was the massage on the feet...i know it's the best part though. But they say that their are pressure points on the bottom of your feet that can make labor come or contract i believe. So just to make sure i always did everything but the massage on the feet.

6. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Also, just be very careful to over protect the first tri. If you can get through at least the first 3 months with out using "stuff", try to. Like I really needed a hair cut but I whated tell after 12 wks just to make sure. You never know what they may be using at the salon the day you go in there. Just a little of what I would do.

7. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing what these little bundles of hormones can do to our skin? I've never had any issues before, so the mountain range that has appeared on my chin is totally foreign to me. I haven't done anything differently, just use my Neutragena cleansing cloths and moisturize. I figure I can live with it for a few months.

As for the shaving, DH now has to do it for me...everywhere. It's quite comical actually.

Oh, and on the pedicures, just make sure your pedicurist knows your pregnant and is experienced with pregnant women. As pp mentioned, there are pressure points that can bring on PTL. I know that one of them is the achilles tendon area. My OB's rule of thumb was "nothing below the knee" when it comes to massages. Appearantly, your uterine line runs down the back of your leg.

8. JessyN

JessyN Well-Known Member

Hey. Good answers. Personally I prefer to use only premium beauty products and cosmetics. In such case you won't have problems with skin and health in general. By the way if you interested in some such products, I can share good blog about this, here is a link - GoodBeautyProducts.com. I always follow their news and reviews!