what can most seven month olds do

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Erica92, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Erica92

Erica92 Well-Known Member

this is a stupid question but SIL is convinced that her baby (due in May) will be able to open presents unassisted by xmas ( baby will be 7 months old) I think she's crazy as I thought most babies are just learning how to sit up...

Am I crazy or could that be possible (of course knowing that all babies reach milestons at different times)

Anyone with a seven month old who could open presents etc.... I guess maybe they coud claw at them??

mine are almost 5 months and I cna't imagine them being that coordinated within the next 2 months....

tia

2. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Mine were 10 months at Christmas and if we started peeling the paper (assisted) they would rip it the rest of the way. But actual unwrapping did not happen in our house then. I'll update and let you know if they do well with their birthday presents this weekend.

I guess her child "could" open presents...everyone is different but I wouldn't think a 7 month would not open presents "unassisted."

3. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

My girls were 7 months this Christmas and they would grab the tissue paper and eat it, but wouldn't open the presents. I opened them for them - if I got it started, sometimes they would grab and pull, but usually only to get the wrapping paper into their mouth, then they would stop! Tell your SIL to save money - just buy wrapping paper and empty boxes!

Maybe your SIL will have some early developing kids and put us all to shame!

Erica.

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Hmm, my 8-month-olds might grab a bow off a present and try to eat it right now. They'd have no clue about unwrapping, and a month ago, they weren't even sitting up. (They're still barely sitting now.)

Not to sound evil, but if your SIL is adamant about stuff like this, she might be in for a rude awakening after she has her baby, and sees what it's REALLY like, LOL. :D

5. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Feb 22 2008, 02:40 PM) [snapback]635276[/snapback]
    Not to sound evil, but if your SIL is adamant about stuff like this, she might be in for a rude awakening after she has her baby, and sees what it's REALLY like, LOL. :D

I TOTALLY agree! Please school this poor unsuspecting lady about how NOTHING you picture in your head actually unfolds that way. I remember the side-splitting good time I thought we'd have when we introduced solids. Talk about a let-down! :D Here we are at 8 months and one of mine STILL refuses to eat! Just tell her not to rush things. Two Christmas's from now will be here before she knows it and they will definitely be opening gifts by then. But yes, I have heard of several babies sitting up by this time-but mine certainly did not. Just last week they started sitting for about 10 minutes by themselves and they literally decided to do it overnight.

6. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]My boys were 7 months at Christmas and they one was crawling and then moving to a sitting position and was pretty sturdy but definitely couldn't open his own presents. My other DS was barely sitting unassisted and could only get to that positon if I puthhim there. I guess anythings possible though ;) . Is it funny the things we think about BEFORE we have babies, like I would be more worried about whether they are going to be sleeping through the night by 7 months than whether they can open their own Christmas presents :lol: [/SIZE]

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Aw its kind of cute that she is thinking about next christmas. Hopefully by then she'll realize that reality and fantasy are sometimes very different. Obviously all babies are different. At 7 months Meara was sitting, Ana wasn't, both were scooting and army crawling. At christmas (9 1/2 month, 7 adj), they were into the presents and wrapping paper, but would only open the present if we helped (basically did it and then they'd rip a little piece of paper off and try to eat it). She should also be warned that her kiddo will probably be MUCH more interested in the wrapping paper than whatever gift is inside. We had some fun screaming when we threw out 'their presents!' Who knew?! everyone could have saved a lot of money by just giving them paper.

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I was just watching video from last Christmas this morning, so perfect timing with the question! :good: My two were 6.5 months last christmas and they did somewhat open presents. We started them off by pulling a piece, and they did the rest of the pulling...or I should say dd did. My son was terrified of the noise paper made :huh: It's quite funny watching it now! Anyway, with something like this I would just let your SIL believe what she wants. Maybe she'll start working on opening gifts at 5 months to prep for Christmas! :pardon:

9. Erica92

Erica92 Well-Known Member

thanks guys- she's very competetive and I thank goodness that we're moving out of this area and will not be around her ALL the time b/c I just KNOW that she'll be constantly comparing her baby (and more kids later on) to ours since they'll be only 7 months apart-

she's very nice jut VERY competetive with DH (and by default now me too)...

oh well--- just wanted to get some other opionions... Thanks!

10. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Well all babies are different. The twins were sitting up and able to do some ripping but not opening up gifts this Christmas. My middle son was walking at 7 months, but that was really early. But in general gross motor skills come well before fine motor skills, like the ones needed to "open" up a gift. I hope the baby won't always have to live up to these hopes. But the mommy will probably learn quickly that things don't go the way we want instead they are on their own time schedule. ;)