what could it be?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by plattsandra103, Sep 8, 2008.

1. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

bear has had a group of 6 or 8 pimples on his upper thigh/buttock/groin area for the past 4 days or so. no other symptoms, i put diaper cream on them and they won't go away, any ideas?

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's the same thing, but mine have had those on their butts for practically the entire summer. They seem slightly better when it's cooler out, so I've been attributing it to heat rash or something. They really do look like pimples though. They seem to get a little better if I am persistent about using Desitin and Aquaphor, but they never go away entirely. Sarah also has a cluster on her upper thigh right now, just below the groin -- that's outside the diaper, so I can't really account for it...?

3. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

For both of you with what sounds like the same issue. If you've tried it all and can't get them to go away...see the pedi. My girls BOTH had this over last winter and it was SO annoying. DIdn't seem to affect them at all, but it was bugging me that it wasn't going away. I called the pedi after like 2-3 months of this and told them I tried every OTC cream possible. I tried every diaper rash cream, Lotrimin, etc...they told me to try 10 days of Aquaphor/Maloxx mix. Nope, didn't phase the "rash." So, I took them both in. The pedi prescribed Bactriban cream (said it was kind of like a viral thing) and within 3 days there were NO MORE butt pimples!!!

They are potty trained now, but I did notice the other day that Morgan is getting them again, so I got the cream back out, now they are gone!

4. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

B has had issues with those little pimples too, and we put bacitracin on them as well. I wish I knew exactly what they were!!

5. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

Not sure, but it sounds like what my boys get. Our pedi said it is a hereditary thing and NO cream will do anything for it....just something they have to deal with. It looks like pimples on their upper arms and upper thighs. It annoys me, and sometimes J will scratch at it. However, I have found it is worse with warm weather too.

6. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JakeandPeyton @ Sep 8 2008, 07:07 PM) [snapback]970229[/snapback]
    Not sure, but it sounds like what my boys get. Our pedi said it is a hereditary thing and NO cream will do anything for it....just something they have to deal with. It looks like pimples on their upper arms and upper thighs. It annoys me, and sometimes J will scratch at it. However, I have found it is worse with warm weather too.

That might be keratosis pilaris. Try Google Images and see if that's what it is. It's like rough bumps that don't go away. Ainsley has it pretty bad on her upper arms, somewhat on her thighs and back. I have found that coconut oil applied after the bath helps it calm down.

7. 3n1n2n2

3n1n2n2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Molliscum Contagiouscum--Google it. It's pretty contagious and it can get out of hand. It's also hard to treat. Half of my kids have had it. We tried a lot of topical meds. It does eventually go away. It's just not pretty to look at!

8. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

That might be keratosis pilaris

nope, but DH has this!! LOL now i know!

Molloscum Contagiouscum

not it....it's just a little group of pimples, i can't describe it any other way, all within at most an inch of each other

i might call the ped tomorrow, just to run it by him, but if anyone else has any ideas, they are definitely welcome!

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have keratosis pilaris too (and so does Amy), but the pimples on the butt are definitely different. I also looked at pictures of molluscum and ours doesn't look like that....

I even showed the butt-pimples to our ped once and he said "looks like yeast" (which, IMO, it totally wasn't) -- we tried the yeast cream for a few days but it made no difference.

10. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

We were told yeast too but the yeast cream didn't seem to help.

11. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ Sep 8 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]970473[/snapback]
    That might be keratosis pilaris. Try Google Images and see if that's what it is. It's like rough bumps that don't go away. Ainsley has it pretty bad on her upper arms, somewhat on her thighs and back. I have found that coconut oil applied after the bath helps it calm down.

That was my thinking too. Alana has it terribly on her arms and legs and sometimes her butt. She got it from DH.

12. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

To me it sounds like dry skin. Our Ped suggested using a milder soap (not J and J) like Dove during bath and to apply a moisturizing lotion afterward. She gave us samples of some triple moisturizing cream that the pharmacist created (can't remember the name now), but then suggested to purchase Aquaphor. DS gets it on the back of the arms, sometimes on his legs, but mostly on the face. When I apply the aquaphor religiously after bath, they seem to go away. Your ped might be able to suggest something stronger.

I would definately bring it up to the ped, at least for suggestions. Good luck!!

13. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Sep 9 2008, 11:56 AM) [snapback]971368[/snapback]
    FWIW, I have keratosis pilaris too (and so does Amy), but the pimples on the butt are definitely different. I also looked at pictures of molluscum and ours doesn't look like that....

I even showed the butt-pimples to our ped once and he said "looks like yeast" (which, IMO, it totally wasn't) -- we tried the yeast cream for a few days but it made no difference.

Oh yeah, I meant the upper arm/thigh bumps another poster mentioned sounded like KP. The butt pimples are definitely different. Bea has gotten them now that she's potty trained, which I'm not sure why. We still wipe her after poop, so it's not from being unclean or anything. I'm going to try an anti-bacterial cream if she still has them when we get back. I thought maybe it was because of the heat.