What did(does) age 6 bring?!?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by megkc03, Dec 27, 2013.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So tell me. What did age six bring in the behavior of your LO's? I don't want to answer just yet. Curious to see what you all have to say. And my twins are b/b.

Go!

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Please.....please please PLEASE say calm!!!!!!!!!!!!! My boys have been strong willed an stubborn since 3 (3 is so not my favorite) and four just brought more sass and now 5 is starting out quite angry!!!!
    Please say calm......:-0

1 person likes this.
  3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Mine aren't six yet...

But my oldest DS became a bit more self-centered at 6. 5 is a real people-pleasing age. Lennon still is a people pleaser but at 6 he also became more interested in himself. :)

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Nothing particular sticks out about age 6....that's a good thing, right?! Seriously, I sat for a minute and thought, what did my girls do? I think it was a really good year as far as behavior, really starting to come into their own, lots of "oh, this is cool, I can do this" kind of stuff. I have to say, 6 was really non monumental. 7 has been tough for us.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm only two days into 6...so I cannot speak from experience...I'll read the thread and be prepared.

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We are a little more than half way through 6, and I think the one word that has characterized this age is independence. My girls can be trusted to do a lot for themselves now (with reminders of course)... Play outside with each other for hours without supervision, pour their own milk, wash their hair, get ready for bed, put away their laundry, do arts and crafts projects, etc.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Independence

It was really a year that they were able to do more on their own w/o having to 'do again' or redo after a parent check (get ready for school, get dressed and hair combed, clean room completely, set table correctly, pack backpacks, write a list for grocery shopping, etc). Also, a big leap in self-confidence. Though we had a return of tantrums and some sassiness in one DD at just past 6 that lasted a few months….that was not fun. But persistence of consistent reward/consequences helped.

Also a better grasp on social dynamics and a step-up in being aware of the world as a 'bigger place'. Some anxiety related to that started at 6 and continued (dying, what is we have an earthquake, what if a madman gets in my school, what if I get bit by a poisonous spider, what if we get in a car accident, etc). 

8. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I wanted to throttle a couple of mine at 6. Seriously 6 was so hard with both Adam and Sydney. I think they both suffered from a serious case of "middle child syndrome" (at 6, Adam was #3 of 5 and while Sydney is a twin, at six there was a fairly big developmental difference between her and Sabrina and she was #4 of 6) and acting out just for more attention. Now at 11, Adam is my easiest child. Sydney is just barely 8 and we've come a long way. She's still very strong willed and needs lots of attention, but not like at 6.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So far 6 is great for my girls. They are total helpers and are great at playing independently. They help me fold clothes, pick up the house, vacuum, etc.

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, Alice has gotten even more independent.  Like scary independent.  She was already quite independent, head strong, assertive (not aggressive) before, and now she's even more so.  I love it and cater to it.  My husband is totally freaked out by it and still tries to baby her.  Her inability to listen has gotten larger too though, and that's not a good thing.  She also acts like she's a teenager now.   

Royce has started to become more confident in his ability to do things.  Like tying shoes, riding on his scooter, he's actively searching out things to learn and to do.  He stopped sleeping with us every night and has managed to learn how to put himself back to sleep again.  He's become more of a stereotypical dude and not so much of a little kid anymore.