What do/did your kids drink out of when they were 3?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by blessedw2, Sep 25, 2007.

1. blessedw2

blessedw2 Well-Known Member

I am curious because I came home yesterday and our nanny had the kids milk in cups with no lids, so I said "oh there you go again putting the kids milk with no lids(in a joking way)" she then told me that they never spill with her so I told her well you only watch them for 3hrs and the other hr they are sleeping. So anyway she said "Well my goodness they ARE 3 yrs old" Well needless to say this kind of ticked me off and other things were said. My son has a HIGH milk allergy, it is so bad that if you touched cheese or any milk product and then touched him he would break out in hives! I do give the kids juice out of regular cups at times but not too often. So my question is what do your kids drink out of?

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We are 2.5 and they drink from sippies most of the time. I give them very small cups (plastic shot glasses that I found at Crate and Barrel that were perfect size for them) of their Danimals when they get that and sometimes I give them their milk in them and as soon as they spill it (almost always do) I take it away.

We are working on it, but I can't see them being good at it for some time yet. I guess if she can get them to do it w/o spilling, then let her train them a bit for you! When they make a mess on her watch, she'll have to clean it up!! :)

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

We have no allergies that I know of and my oldest 2 started drinking out of real cups at age 2. I'm already starting to teach my boys how to drink from a cup so I think 2 is a workable age even for twins. Maybe you could compromise and have them drink milk out a straw sippy (Like the ones Nuby makes) and let them drink juice or water out of a real cup. :pardon:

4. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

3 isn't too young for real cups for most kids.
    That said, most of my boys drinks are from straw sippies. neither are good about only drinking at the table or whatever.
    At breakfast, I give them OJ in a small juice glass though, may as well get them used to it!

5. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I don't think 3 is too young. I personally hate cleaning up spills, so at 3 my son was still drinking from a sippy, but my sister takes sippies away when her kids are 2, and they drink just fine from cups.

6. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I am starting to introduce regualr cup now (22 months) they do real well except like to dump it when they are done. :blush:

We give them sippies around the house but cups when sitting at the table.

By 3, my kids had regular cups except when in the living room. My kids always just had water though so spills arent that big of a deal. No juice here.

7. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

DS started drinking out of a regular cup without a lid at about 15 months. He was completely away from sippies until a month or so ago-that's when I introduced sippies to the girls and he was very determined he had to have a sippy again. :rolleyes:

8. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I started real cups (small ones) between 2.5 and 3, much later than most people advised, but I hate spills. At first I gave them only water, because water is not that bad to clean up. Eventually I expanded to other beverages.

They do great (they are 4-3/4 now), but I only allow drinking at the table. Around the house they have little water bottles with sport tops, because while they're playing they just don't pay as much attention and are more likely to knock things over. They also only drink milk or juice at meals, and water the rest of the time.

In restaurants I always get the cups with the lids, since it's so hard to get them up to the table properly even in a booster (my girls are exceedingly short).

ETA: spelling

9. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

When we are eating at the table, they get open cups. If they are enjoying their milk or water in the family room, it has a lid on it!

10. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

We've been drinking from open cups since 2 at the table.
    Sippies still for "wandering" drinks.
    But I think it's safe to assume that in all the world outside of the US, most three year olds drink out of open cups. My girls were the first in all of DH's extended family to ever have a sippy cup.

11. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Meximeli @ Sep 25 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]423276[/snapback]
    We've been drinking from open cups since 2 at the table.
    Sippies still for "wandering" drinks.

Same here.

12. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with whatever you choose to allow your little ones to drink out of .....my nephew is very haphazard...he drinks from a sippy.....he just turned 3...he can drink from a straw...and has some experience with just regular cups....but at my house....when he runs around with a cup.....he gets a sippy! no sippy no drink! I will continue that with my twins as well when they are born. Not sure when we will stop.

Missy

13. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

I used cups with no lids for meals starting around 2. At 3 I ditched the sippies and used the take n toss with straws for around the house. I taught them to put them on a table when they weren't using them and it worked well.

14. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We were completely on open cups by 3. Mine have never been allowed to walk around with a cup, so that isn't a problem here.

15. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine still use sippys, but I need to try to transition them soon. They use open cups at school for water. So I know that they can do it but I'm afraid of the mess!!!

16. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Rachel started using a cup at the table at 2.5...still has sippies for the car/family room

17. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

All of mine have been without sippies since before 2. They have never been allowed to have travelling cups. Their drinks are at a place they can reach them, and they stay there. My boys are 13 months and love to drink from cups without lids. They only get water with them, and usually only do it outside on warm days, but they're learning, and will figure it out soon.

That said, who cares what you let your kids drink out of. If your nanny wants to clean up the spills, tell her water in those cups only. They are your children, your rules. Although, I have a good friend with a nanny, and they are great for teaching them these messy things, they can clean it up instead of you.

18. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We use straw sippies most of the time. If we are eating at the table then usually I give them open cups. IKEA (not sure if you have one around) has perfect sized plastic cups. They can also drink out of water bottles. I use the sippies, because they always wander off and I honestly don't want to try to find all the places that they may have spilled their water.

19. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

I had Sean out of a sippy mostly by around 2 but by around 3 unless we were in the car driving somewhere or out in the store (which then he got a sports type bottlee) he did NOT get a sippy. But I also quit bottles by 1. So that is how I am about those types of things.
    I think at 3 they should be ok up at a table with a big kid cup.

20. Rachel&Emily

Rachel&Emily Well-Known Member

The girls had to be able to sort of drink from a regular cup before they left the infant room...so at about 12 1/2 months they were able to drink from a regular cup at the table. I still give them sippy's at home because they love to shake the cups when it's dinner time at the house and I'm usually not in the mood to clean up all of that mess.

Like pp's have said - who cares what they are drinking out of...I agree with what one said about letting the nanny take care of the teaching and cleaning if she is that concerned about it. I'm sure the little ones will get the hang of it eventually! Best of luck!

alexis

21. ****mws****

****mws**** Banned

mine have walmart brand built in straw cups with out a lid.

they are stackable for the car.
    easy to carry.. and they are aware not to spill, fling, or the y wont get anymore..

that being said at home we still use sippys.. but i dont think im going to buy any more..

m

22. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

William and Nathan have been without sippies for a while now. Grandma was the push to use open cups. Whenever we went to her house she would give them an open cup, and eventually they wanted to be like big sissy at home too. DD was off sippies for the most part about 3 as well. If your main concern is that your DS cannot come in contact with DD's milk, make sure your nanny is aware of that issue. Let her know that if she wants to give them other stuff in an open cup that it is her responsiblity to clean up the mess, but milk is to ALWAYS be served in a closed cup because of the allergy. Hopefully she will be able to see that you are willing to give her some freedom to teach them to use a cup, but at the same time respect your son's health issues.

23. rosie19

rosie19 Well-Known Member

Just after their 2nd birthday, I started giving N & G regular cups at the table with meals and snacks. I found some small plastic cups at Target that were perfect and I fill them about 1/4 of the way at a time. However, if they want to take a cup of milk or water into another room of the house, it goes in a sippy. We've moved on to the sippies that don't have a spout. I think they are playtex and have a little hole in the top, much like an adult travel mug. But we do still use sippies throughout the day to minimize spilling.

24. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I can't imagine we'll be using sippies at 3 at the rate they're going. They prefer open cups (and use them at mealtimes) but we use sippies when on the go to stay a bit drier. They're already holding the sippy out and asking, "Open, please?" to anyone who might open it.

I think 3 is plenty old enough to be learning but I also understand the allergy concern so I would demand that milk be in sippies but I'd let her work with them on water and juice. Personally, I'll be happy to be done with sippy cups. They're a pain to wash.

25. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

I agree with letting the nanny slowly introducing the big kid cup.
    My sil is a nanny and she does teach the kids a lot of what the parents may not think they are ready for or teaches them a lot of lessons that the mom comes up (she works in the basement) and says 'wow thank you R, I would have had no idea.' It was just one less thing for the parents (who work like crazy) to worry about and she did most of that type of stuff with the kids.
    Maybe just take advantage of it and if you don't feel like doing it at supper one day or whatever hey don't, but if she gets them learning how to do it that would be wonderful and one less thing that you may have to worry about. Its just like sending them off to school and learning somethign new that you may not have thought about at a certain age.

good luck on it! Try to make it a fun thing and if you see it not working maybe talk to her about it.
    Maybe she is just thinking she is helping you.

26. PRJP

PRJP Well-Known Member

open cups at meal time for us and my guys are three

27. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

my 3yo can drink out of open cups. And generally at meal times I will let him have a cup. But as many before have said...when we are on the go, he gets a sippy. It's not a matter of whether he can or can not drink from a cup...but momma doesn't want to clean up all the messes!

28. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I would totally let the nanny train them with big kid cups!! it'll make your job easier....so long as that allergy thing can be watched for...

my kids still drink out of sippies...even my four year old...but I'm just too lazy about it. Sometimes she drinks out of a big kid cup. and if it's water I've given all the kids real cups. Just can't deal with milk or oj spills all the time...that would drive me bonkers. I'm hoping that soon for mealtime the kids will be on regular cups. but they still have spills and accidents with their food, so it's just something I don't feel like dealing with all the time.

29. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

We've been on open cups since around 25-26 months. And there was no learning curve or transition time -- just one day they each pretty much demanded an open cup at dinner, so it was pretty much cold turkey for them. We started out w/ just doing like 2cm of liquid at a time. There were a few spills along the way, but now I don't even think twice about it. The only time we use sippies now are for the rare occasions when they get a drink away from the table or if we are out and about like at a picnic or something.

I do agree with others that you should just let your nanny train them on the open cups if she wants to do it. I love when my daycare provider trains them on things I think are going to be a hassle. I am looking forward to her working with them on potty training! ;)

30. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

By 3 my oldest DD was using a regular cup with no lid at the table. But if we were out somewhere or at someones house or around our house she had a sippy. Only a cup with no lid at the table.

31. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We are acutally in the process of transitioning to regular cups and mine are just over 2 1/2 years old. We use the straw sippies when we are in the car or out to avoid the accidents, but at home they primarily are on cups.

32. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

We've been using open cups all along. They either use cups or juice pouches

33. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Mine have been drinking out of cups without lids for almost 6 mths now & they will be 3 next month.

34. jennyj

jennyj Well-Known Member

I hate spills... so sippys or cups with lids and straws for my twins who are going to be 4 in Dec ... and my 16mo old... yes they know how to drink out of a cup w/out a lid but disposable sippies is what I like so there's less mess for me to clean.. shoot if I could get DHand DS to drink out of one so they didnt spill I would haha

35. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We do a combination of straw sippies (mostly) and open cups (with meals and snacks at the table).