What do you do when you're tired?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Daddy Daycare, May 7, 2013.

1. Daddy Daycare

Daddy Daycare Member

Today, I just feel out of it. Don't really have the energy to sing 2 hours of nursery rhymes or to make funny faces every minute.
    What do you do when you get into this mood?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Change the scenery! Go for a walk. Bring them outside whether in a stroller, out on a blanket. Anything to change it up! Go for a walk at the mall, at the park, etc etc. Sure it might seem like more work, or more daunting, but once you do it and keep at it, ahhhhh it's worth it and you feel so much better!

Good luck! I remember those days, believe it or not. Lol! They do get better! :hug:

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Totally change of scenery. And I used to break the days up into hours or feeding cycles. Then I'd just focus on whatever cycle we were in and break up the day for myself that way. Head to the mall, head to the zoo, go to the grocery store.. heck, even just drive around!

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Depending on how tired, I've put the tv on and "napped" on the couch while they did their thing.

5. Daddy Daycare

Daddy Daycare Member

I like this answer :lol:
    Unfortunately, my kids are 7 months old and can't crawl yet so they kinda depend on me to entertain/feed/change, etc.
    I do go for walks but don't think I could walk for 8 hours.
    Mall, zoo, grocery stores just seem like a lot of work and I really am tired.
    Aarrgghh, looks like I'll have to suck it up and be a parent. Who can I call to see about getting time off?

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Rotation of entertainment. Bouncy seat, jumperoo, activity center, swing, etc. Switch every 15-20 minutes as needed. Veg in between.

We had a big play yard thing (a colorful "fence" with built in toys. We put two of them together. They couldn't get out or get to anything that would hurt them. DH would "nap" on the floor in there with them while they played.

And definitely nap when they nap!

7. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Remember your most likely chance for 'down time' is in the morning and just after naps so take advantage of that time when you can. this is when they are most likely to be happy doing their own thing.. even if it is only 15 minutes.

Over the long run, try to reduce how much entertaining you do and how much they entertain themselves.. baby steps.

Ideas:
    If it is warm enough lay with them on a blanket under a tree... great for not yet crawling kids! Leaves are very fascinating, and the wind, and outside noises!

Put on the radio or a kids song tape.
    Prop them up facing each other and hang a toy between them that they can bat at.

I use to get them playing and then sneak away. Even though it doesn't last long, keep doing that so they have a chance to learn independent play as well as playing with daddy.

Pre-mobile kids are their own special kind of exhausting.
    For me a lot of the exhaustion was lack of mental stimulation. I like books on tape when the kids nap. A few minutes of adult conversation can do wonders... after much searching i finally figured out what friends/family i can call and when to catch them (it is hard when everyone is on a work schedule). when you just need a grown-up to talk to, call everyone you know.. your parents, your MIL(!?). do you have any family who are also stay at home parents or who have a set lunch hour? heck, call the guy who mows your yard to discuss the expected rain and changing the day!
    Figure out what you need emotionally and make it happen. don't forget to take care of yourself too.

8. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

my girls loved having a smiley face picture hanging above them from their playgym. Just draw one on a paper plate and tie it on, I'd get an extra 15 - 20 minutes to close my eyes/ enjoy my coffee. Also, I'd lie on the floor beside them and do relaxation exercises, even 5 minutes of focusing on deep breathing, relaxing muscles with eyes closed makes a huge difference the the next hour of having to be awake. Also remember, they do not need you entertaining them for all their awake hours, quiet exploration on their own is so valuable. For them and you!!! Hope your day flies by!!!

9. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Mine are 8 months and are really starting to play by themselves and with each other. That's something to look forward to!

I agree with the change of scenery....and work to get going but always re-energizes me!

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used to have a big superyard that i could put my girls in when I need a break. They had toys. I'm guess at that age I put down an activity mat and gave them a few toys. This way I knew they were safe.
    Take them out. Go to a zoo just to walk around. pre-walking is a great age for sticking them in a stroller and walking around, outside in a park or zoo or inside in a mall.
    Find a parent and me class to take them to. We started Music together when my girls were around a year old. We did programs at the library. The only activity I remember doing when my girls were under 1 was taking them in stroller to weigh watchers with me.

11. Daddy Daycare

Daddy Daycare Member

Mine are starting to play with each other as well but not quite there yet. They get amused with each other but I think they think the other is a toy and not their sister.

12. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Stroller strides. I never did it but I know a mom who runs a group. You get out of the house and adult conversation. I know the tired/exhausted feeling and being tired isn't going to change but getting out and doing something other than the same old thing day in and day out really does help. It stimulates your own mind which you need to do in order to "entertain" infants. The days drag otherwise.

Kids songs on CD, blanket in the yard, walk at different locations, join a local moms group doesn't have to be a twins group, a mommy and me class, get a baby yoga DVD yoga can help energize you, lay on the floor while they are on the floor and just relax for a few minutes. Go to bed when they go to sleep in the evening. It does seem like a lot to get them out of the house but the more you do it the easier it gets. You learn how much you need to take, how long you can go out. I kept a backpack always packed so all I had to do was grab and go. I just refilled it each night as needed.

I also used audio books and I still do since I got hooked on them. I would rock them and listen to audio books while they listened to their music CD.

13. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

We've just started going out more and like everyone has said, it is a lot of work to get going but totally worth it. I'm not sure how long they have in between eating and napping...mine at six months are about three hours awake time and eating every three hours (taking super short naps, which is something I am trying to change). The day has a certain rhythm to it that gets us through the day:

First three hours: wake up, eat, play on floor, listen to Daddy play guitar, nap.
    Next three hours: eat, play in room on floor, when they get fussy I change their diapers, then more floor play or into swing/bouncer and they play there/watch me clean the kitchen.
    Next three hours: these are tough for us (I think the short naps are not working and this is where they seem to need a change of scenery. So, we usually eat, play on the floor, when fussy diaper change, into car seats, out to grocery store or library. When we first started going places, it would take us 45 minutes to an hour to get out of the house. Now we've got a system where I get most stuff ready earlier in the day and can be out in 20 minutes.
    Next three hours: eat, play on floor, diaper change when fussy, into stroller and we take a 45 minute to hour long stroller walk. Now I know all the neighbors' comings and goings in the afternoon. I look at this stroller walk as my time to zone out...it's good for them to get outside, but we're really doing it for me. Sometimes I walk really slow and just enjoy peace and quiet, sometimes I walk faster.
    Next three hours: can be really tough, mainly because I start to be exhausted.

This schedule sounds WAY neater than it usually is. This is a perfect day. Usually it feels like we are just rolling with the punches...

Okay, the thing that really, really, really helped us was discovering a parenting philosophy called RIE: www.rie.org. Lucy and Maren are just waking up now so I have to go, but check it out! Also, the blogs by www.janetlansbury.com (which is about RIE). Really helps with knowing what to do with them when they are awake.

14. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

As for being really tired, those days are just tough. Sometimes I have to have a pep talk with myself or call someone and tell myself to suck it up and that this is life as a parent. On really tired days, I'm sometimes not as "present" with Maren and Lucy. I tell them "mommy is really tired today, I'll do the best I can to care for you." Then I just do whatever to get through the day and know there are other days when I will be more on the ball.

15. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've just recently discovered RIE also and LOVE the philosophy. I'm working on incorporating it more and more in my own parenting habits. Also love Janet Lansbury's blog.

16. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know what you mean - my one boys is a "bully" - he's always stealing toys from the other one. But, the other one then tries to take it back and smacks him! It's amusing to watch, because it's just exploration. They like to laugh together and have short conversations too.

And I agree with another PP'er - I have to give myself pep talks alot - it does help soemtimes!

Hang in there!! :)

17. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

A change of scenery is huge for me to function as a stay at home mom. Both my twins and me (along with my husband) are out door people. A lot of times about 11 I pop them in the truck and we'll head over to a trail and go for a walk, otherwise I'll go somewhere with them just to get them out of the house.

My daughter is fully crawling, my son is only rolling. I spend most of my day chasing after them, lol. My PNP just isn't big enough for both of them so I got this north states gate system ( http://m.target.com/p/north-states-superyard-8-panel-colorplay/-/A-14220362) so I could put them.in there with toys and not have to worry about them getting into anything and I could get a shower, wash bottles, or just relax for a minute. I also take it outside with a blanket and they have a ball!

What is your "baby duty " schedule? Since my husband works and works side jobs occasionally, I do duty during the week ( although if I need his help he'll help me) and the weekends (or holidays) are my days to sleep in and try to catch up on sleep (as much as possible, lol) my twins are almost 9 months and this schedule usually works for us.

Another thing that I noticed really helping ( bc I was consuming WAY too much caffeine) was I started taking multivitamin and sublingual b-12, that's helped a lot with my energy levels. I actually got my husband on the b-12 too and he's noticed a big difference and it doesn't affect his sleep.

You also need some me time , away from the kids ... For us women that's going and getting our hair done, shopping, pedicures, or just reading a book, or for me going out shooting photography, obviously its different for you, but its your time to recharge, you need to do it.

You're doing a great job!

18. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Yep love the north gate superyard!
    Here is my review.