what do you guys do with your formula cans?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lisagayle, Aug 29, 2010.

1. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

So I hate to just throw the formula cans away....we go through so many. So I've been saving them for a couple of months now and have about 20 of them. Maybe more.

My first thought was to clean them out, cover them with holiday scrapbook paper and then put cookies in them as Christmas gifts. But I know by Christmas I will have way more than I will need for that. Does anybody else have any creative ideas for what to do with them?

I also thought about using an x-acto knife to cut out halloween designs in them (stars, cats, ghosts, etc) and put them along our walkway on halloween with a tealight in them.

2. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

We just recycle them! You should check with your local recycling facility to see if they can be recycled in your area. I also think your cookie tin and halloween lantern ideas are super! I did a quick search on the net and founds lots more ideas for what to do with empty formula cans too (i.e. storage bins, arts and crafts projects). The possibilities are seemingly endless! Have fun with it.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We recycle them, too, but I like your craft ideas. :)

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We recycled them as well. But you could use them to put craft materials in as well: cotton balls, pom poms, maybe glitter, crayons, paper scraps, stickers, etc. Granted-for when the twins are a bit older. Or you could make drums out of them, or other instruments-shakers.

Good ideas you have!

5. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the idea of keeping them for crafts!! I'm sure I could use them somehow in my classroom :)

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No problem! It's the former teacher in me! ;)

7. stephsoss

stephsoss Well-Known Member

I love your ideas, but I can't imagine having the time to do that! Good for you!

8. lisagayle

crafting, scrapbooking and sewing are my "outlets". :D It's what I do when DH gets home and I get some "me time". I usually manage to wrangle 45 minutes an evening to myself. Not to mention that everybody in my house age 3 and under goes to bed by 8 pm.

:)

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you have any extra lids, let me know. I need a few. I use the cans to put my coffee in and my lid has split.

10. lisagayle

So I just thought I'd share...this was the test drive of the luminaries. :D It's a little rough around the edges, I need a new x-acto knife I think. And I'm going to spray paint them black I think. But other than that....I think it turned out well! :D

Spider Formula Can Luminary!

11. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Active Member

I am asking friends and family for theirs because I use them in my classroom for Christmas crafts :)

12. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We recycle ours, but using them for crafts is a great idea!