what do you think of BLACK FRIDAY

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

For those interested.....Toys R Us will have their Black Friday sales ONLINE starting at 9pm Thursday. You don't even need to leave home if you don't want to.

2. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Thats good to know ! There is something I want from the Walmart ad really bad and it says it's available at 10pm Thanksgiving night .. I wonder if that applies to online too ?? I sure hope so .. because I know there is no way I'll find it in the actual store by the time I get there.

3. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

There have always been some stores open for Thanksgiving (I remember working the day shift then joining the family). I think its is a bit crazy to open at midnight but, I would rather stay up until midnight and go shopping then try to get up in the middle of the night to go shop. But, I have only done this once.

How is your taking advantage of working at midnight to earn extra cash or staying later than your shift to earn extra hours at the higher rate--for your family any different than someone taking advantage of the discounted prices to give their family what they believe is a better Christmas?

I would hope people would be more respectful of others no matter when they are out shopping and I think for the most part they are there are just a few bad apples that get the attention (I have work many years in retail so do speak from some experience)

4. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I hate that Wal Mart opens at 10 and others at midnight. It really throws a kink in our plans.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's not only professions like dr's, policemen, firemen...etc that will be working on thanksgiving. My husband's manufacturing plant closes for 2 days a year, Christmas Day and the next day, that's it. He works Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve...etc. It sucks. Unfortunately, it's also called life. I do feel sorry for the retail personnel who are going to have to work it, but more because of them having to deal with the craziness that will ensue, rather than them just having to be at work.

I have no intention of disturbing my sleep to hit the BF sales. However, my MIL is willing to watch my kids for me and I'll head to walmart and target on friday afternoon to see if anything I'm interested in is left. I'm not looking for anything big (like electronics) so I'm sure I'll be able to find the few toys and mp3 players I'm looking for :)

6. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

It's all just a huge marketing gimmick anyway. I'll never forget the year we discovered that we could mostly get the same deals online on Black Friday with free shipping (the boys all got new bicycles that year). That settled it for me. Shopping in my PJs is so much more fun!

7. Mama_Kim

Don't forget airline pilots! My father-in-law often had to work either Thanksgiving or Christmas or both. It goes with the territory for some jobs. But, retail? No one really needs to be shopping on Thanksgiving, do they?

8. berebunch31

berebunch31 Well-Known Member

Retail employees often don't make the same money that other people who work on holidays make. Many are working for minimum wage or a little above it, and even if they make some form of holiday pay, it doesn't necessarily compare to the income others get for working holidays.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Lots of people work holidays and don't make much more than minimum wage--manufacturing jobs, road crews, hospital cleaning staff and other employees, etc. I just don't think anyone goes into retail in this century and doesn't get that they will be working weekends and holidays. And it's almost insulting to assume everyone in retail is some reject who couldn't do something better and thus has to settle for retail. People go to school for retail management. It's one of the few careers where you can learn and progress through the company without a college education. It's not always a fallback for the sad people.

7 people like this.
  10. berebunch31

I don't get the vibe that people are insulting those who work retail. I've worked retail and so has my husband. My point was that it's often a thankless job, and the people who are on the front lines doing the work on the holidays aren't getting the same share of the profits of such big sales as those who make the decisions to be open. It's a holiday. It's not a necessity for the business to be open on Thanksgiving.

3 people like this.
  11. rrodman

Nothing about Black Friday is a necessity. These stores aren't necessary. What people buy on BF isn't necessary. The entirety of holiday gift giving isn't necessary. That's hardly the standard.

1 person likes this.
  12. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Actually, I've made some "necessary" purchases on black Friday, including the computer for the kids schooling. Yes, it was actually necessary. We watched sales for months hoping to find something, nothing was a low enough price until black Friday sales.

13. Chrissy Nelson

I used to work at a hotel and every holiday I had to work. Including the midnight shift on New Years Eve.

14. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

not sure where your friend worked but where I work you are only scheduled for hours IN your availability. I usually work 6am to 2:30pm. and have my availability open from midnight to 3pm for regular days but have told my supervisors that I am available for whatever necessary during these Holidays. I am willing to do this NOT because I am concerned I will lose my job if I don't but because it is a bigger paycheck. I get extra pay during the Holidays and whoever agrees to work "open" gets more money per hour for all hours worked that day.

I don't know what others get for Holiday pay but I know I get better than my regular pay and better than what an unemployed person gets I also like that they work with me whenever I need time off so I like my job very much. It is not something I settled for but something I never thought I would do.

:)

No we don't get a share of the profits but if my store does well my store has more payroll and more money for raises :D

15. berebunch31

You're right. I clearly have nothing to add to this conversation.

16. rrodman

Yes, that's what I was saying. You disagreed with me, and by continuing the conversation, I'm saying that you have nothing to add to the conversation. Really?

17. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

I think Black Friday is nuts and a somewhat disturbing example of consumerism gone nuts.

I certainly understand people wanting to get deals, but I think the stores could make some way better decisions about how to handle the whole thing. Sure, they can open the stores at midnight. But, really, why?
    And sure, lots of people work on holidays. But just because lots of people already work on holidays doesn't mean more people need to.
    Enough people have to work already. Why add more to that mix just so businesses can compete with one another a few extra hours?

It just seems silly to me and immature on the part of the retail execs who make these decisions. I wonder how it would go over if, say, Target said something like, "you know, we're bucking the trend this year. Yeah, we could stay open and make more money, but we've decided to close because sometimes it's a good idea to take a day to pause and be with friends and family when possible. So, we're not going to open until the day after and we'll have great deals and our work force will have had the option of taking a day to rest."

Personally, that would make me want to shop there. That, IMO, would be an example of a store both wanting to make money but also thinking about the bigger picture of life in general. It would be thinking of profit but also respectful of workers.

I know stores have to compete and make money. But really, isn't there a better way than this silly race to see who can open first? It all seems so childish on the part of the retail execs and decision makers.

2 people like this.
  18. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I'd shop there too! Similar to what Chick fil a does and they hang pretty well among fast food places even closing one day a week.

I've never shopped on black friday unless it's been later in the day. Just not worth it to me. As an RN that works 12 hr nights, I'll be at work both Wed and Thurs nights and will be sound asleep til at least 3pm on black friday this year!

19. rrodman

Do we understand the origins of the term Black Friday? The first day of the year retailers are in the black? And actually it's a misnomer because it doesn't happen until a week or so later. These stores stay in business based on their holiday sales. It's not a game they are playing to make an extra $5. It's millions in sales. Have you ever worked for a store that went out of business? I have. I've seen people lose jobs. My mom worked for K-Mart for years and had a lot of stock that is essentially worthless because of the decline of that business. A business doesn't treat employees well by not giving them hours to work. It treats employees well in pay, benefits, working conditions, etc. The one person on this thread who is working Thanksgiving night--Cheryl--is happy about the opportunity for her to earn more money. So while some people might shop at a store that "lost money" to "treat its employees well," the reality is that the stores make a ton of money being open and the employees aren't all upset about it.

And I like Chick-fil-A food as much as the next person, but a company that discriminates in hiring based on religion is hardly a great example of a company that treats people well.

4 people like this.
  20. rrodman

All that said, I personally have never and will never participate in the black Friday chaos. I just think a business should have the right to be open when it wants. What if a Muslim owned business was forced to close on Good Friday? What if you lived in a Muslim community that forced businesses to be closed on all Fridays?

21. Mama_Kim

Consumerism gone nuts or stores hoping to boost holiday profits? If the stores weren't open at 4 am, no one could or would shop at 4 am. It really is just a gimmick to get people in the store. Stores could just as easily open at a more reasonable 7 am and still make the record profits they are seeking. Black Friday is truly everything that turns me off about the holidays. However, I do understand the stores wanting and needing sales during this time period to make a profit for the year. It's just all gotten a bit ridiculous and has helped to drive the crazy Christmas frenzy that I despise.That's really where my anger lies. The focus at Christmas is on buy, buy, buy. Probably why I love (and am so defensive of) Thanksgiving so much. It is a holiday about gratitude and family rather than consumerism and gift giving.

I've worked retail several times over the years, mainly during the holidays. It was never fun. I'm just grateful I never had to work those crazy Black Friday hours.

22. MeredithMM

To me those are the same thing, I guess.

23. MeredithMM

Obviously, a store going out of businesses is bad. But I don't think the whole thing has to be framed as an either/or argument. A company going out of business or decreased sales is a lot more complicated than just whether or not to open at crazy hours on black Friday.
    I think that's part of what the problem is with Black Friday. The stores have convinced people (marketing ploy as you say, Mamakim) that this is the way it needs to be. By all means, stores have the right to stay open whenever they want. No one is suggesting a law against it. I just think that from a conceptual perspective, there's something somewhat problematic that as a society we can't slow down and skip the shopping for one day.

Surely there is a way for businesses to make money and still take a day of rest. IMO, there's got to be a better way.

1 person likes this.
  24. Mama_Kim

I wouldn't exactly say they are the same but there is a definite symbiotic relationship.

25. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't see the big deal. If you don't like it, don't go. If you do like, then go. It's really quite simple. Supply and demand. Consumers will be there, so they open. If nobody was going to be there, do you think they would open? People don't go because they have to. They go because they want to. I don't do black friday, only because I am no good at waking that early. But to those who do, more power to them.

1 person likes this.
  26. Mama_Kim

You know, it's really not that big of a deal and I agree with you. Not my thing at all but if someone else enjoys that sort of thing, fine. Enjoy!

On a personal level, I just hate that our holidays are not even sacred any more but are turned into some big shopping extravaganza. What's next? After Christmas sales starting on Christmas day? I imagine so. :(

1 person likes this.
  27. twin_trip_mommy

I saw my name
    I really do not mind at all and my fellow co workers do not mind either. Some just do not want to be working at open because they don't like the "rush" while others do NOT want to be at the store around 8am or especially later in the day/afternoon or Friday evening because they do not want to deal with the angry shoppers who did not get there earlier to get the best deals that sold out hours earlier. I want to be there at open for a few reasons. I kind of like the rush and I like seeing the customers happy. When they get the deal they are happy. I also like the extra pay and the fact that I could get more hours if I am asked to stay later. It will be my choice to stay or not. There will be no negative repercussions if I choose not to stay. We are told not to call out that day but nothing truly negative can happen like a person being fired if they don't show. There are rules in place to protect employees and anything can be fought.

I personally have NEVER gone out shopping on Black Friday. If I was not working I would not be out at any store. I am just doing it to earn money for my family. I really like my job. Could not imagine doing anything else that would be this flexible with hours.

28. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

29. twin_trip_mommy

How long do most people stay with Family visit and eat? I stay about 3 hours.

My Family is planning a noon Thanksgiving meal so that I can eat, visit and then get about 7 hours sleep. About how much sleep I usually get. We are working it out. My family knows how important they are and they know how important it is that I have a job so we are planning it so that it can all be done.

This guy in the article could not have gone through proper channels. With as many employees a Dep store has and the schedule being posted 2 weeks early he could have talked to a supervisor about a different shift or switched with a co worker

1 person likes this.
  30. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I honestly have mixed feelings about Black Friday and shopping on Thanksgiving. I can see where it is a burden to employees to work on a holiday instead of being with their families. I can see where it makes Thanksgiving feel more about stuff than thankfulness.

On the other hand, I will have family here that are leaving Friday morning. If I want to go shopping with my mom, who lives 11 hours away, we have to go and not get the sales or go Thanksgiving night. My mom likes to do her xmas shopping and bday shopping for the kids when she is here so it can be wrapped and left for the kids and she doesn't have to pay shipping or pray for no snow so they can come. If we could do the dishes on Thanksgiving day and go hit sales, we probably would.

I can see both sides of it.

We'll probably not do any on Thanksgiving and I might venture out on Friday to Walmart to see if they have any of the Super Mario Galaxy games for $20 still. Thanksgiving, we'll eat lunch with my parents and then play wii or board games together. My dad might play guitar with Timothy or my mom might sew with Sarah. And Friday, they'll leave.

Marissa

31. MeredithMM

This is how I feel. Just on a personal level, I think there is really something to be said for slowing down and taking a day for not shopping. We're such a consumer-driven culture. I just find it kinda sad we, as a culture, can't take one single day of the year to be thankful for what we already have rather than trying to buy more.

As for the thoughts on people working in retail, sure some are for it. And yes there are channels. But I've worked in retail for many years, and thankfully I never had to work on Thanksgiving. But my husband has, and it always struck me as so sad. All the rest of our family was getting together and he had to take customer service calls.
    I'm a big believer in slowing down. Slowing down spending, slowing down the fast pace of life, just appreciating what we already have and taking moments to pause. It seems so missing in our culture.

1 person likes this.
  32. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

We have a nearby Walmart that isn't allowed to open until 5am Friday morning .. that's where I'll be. I need a Blu Ray player and a telescope. :)

33. Mama_Kim

I love the way you said this and agree with the sentiment. [​IMG]

Cheryl, you asked how long people stay with family to visit and eat. For us, it's sort of an all day affair. We get up and get the turkey going, then I make a late breakfast/brunch. We generally eat dinner around 3 pm. Then we have dessert around 7-8 pm. It's a whole day kind of thing. ;) Generally we have out of town family here (although not this year). Thanksgiving is my very favorite holiday.

34. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I really don't see what the big deal is. It's midnight on Thanksgiving. So what? Who's eating turkey and visiting family at midnight? My parents are going to a Ravens game on Thanksgiving, so we're doing dinner on Saturday instead. I don't see anyone boo-hooing for the refreshment stand workers, the beer vendors, the groundskeepers, the custodians, etc that have to work the football game. I worked at the 7-Eleven during college and worked Thanksgiving many times. My ex-husband is a firefighter/paramedic and he often worked holidays, and he did NOT get extra pay for it (if I remember correctly). We just adjusted our celebration times. I'm sure people who have to work retail adjust their dinner/visiting times.

People also spend time with their family and friends by going to these sales and events. I have many friends that go as a group, or go with their moms to Black Friday sales. My uncle and cousin have a ritual of going BF shopping, they camp out and wait for the store to open. It's a fun bonding time for them. My brother and his best friend (who's Jewish) go to the movies and out for Chinese every Christmas evening. Now that they are married with families, it's extended to their families going out together. No one's ever begrudged my brother ducking out around 7:00pm to go out with his friend, they've been doing this since they were teens.

Personally, I'm not a Black Friday shopper. Crowds aren't my thing. But if I was, I would rather go at midnight than 5:00am. :pardon:

35. Chrissy Nelson

I guess they say the big deal is the ppl working that night will have to sleep during the day to prepare for the night shift.

I am thankful for my family and everything I have but I am also thankful for the savings I get of Black Friday or even Thanksgiving.

1 person likes this.