What do you think of bumbo seats

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Specky, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Also one of our boys is a 'big' boy almost 15lbs at 3mths...will he fit in a bumbo??

Thanks! :D

reb

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I had 2 of them. It was about like anything else at that age, they liked it for little bit at a time and then needed a change of scenery. I would get just one, and see if they like it.

3. twinmom51

twinmom51 Well-Known Member

I would try to get one from Craigslist or a resale. $40 is alot to spend on an unknown.

I got one for $15. neither of my girls seemed very interested. Meaghan is on the small side and she would slip down and now they can't sit still! I plan to sell my at my club resale in April.

4. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

i would try and borrow one, my girls only used them for a few weeks b/c they extended back and tried to get out... ours were gifts but I wouldn't have bought them.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'd try it out on craigslist too but mine never went long in there. Either they were too small and didn't have the neck muscles to last long, or they were too old and kicking the thing and almost flipping over. Now I think they're a waste of money.

If he has chubby legs his legs might not fit too, so look for that...

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I had one and mine didnt care for it. I am glad that it was a loaner.

7. hannahshope

hannahshope Well-Known Member

what is craigslist???????

8. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

QUOTE(hannahshope @ Feb 10 2009, 06:45 PM) [snapback]1185246[/snapback]
    what is craigslist???????

www.craigslist.com

lots of stuff there - listings and forums for just about anything

9. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

My boys actually liked them, but if I had known sooner, I probably wouldn't have invested $40 per seat if I knew they would only be in them for such a short period of time. Like one of the pp said, I would definitely look into craigslist. If they don't seem to enjoy it, no sweat because you got a good deal. If I could turn back time, I probably would have just stuck to the high chairs..

QUOTE(Natalochka @ Feb 10 2009, 09:47 PM) [snapback]1185252[/snapback]
    www.craigslist.com

lots of stuff there - listings and forums for just about anything

Yes, craigslist is GODSEND. Almost anything under the sun you can think of.. and then some :laughing:

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine really liked their bumbo seats when they were younger infants, it helped them to practice sitting. They would stay in them for about 15 minutes max and we still eat breakfast out of the bumbo seats!

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, either try to borrow one or get it off craigslist. :good: We had one and neither were big on sitting in it. :pardon: It looked comfy. :lol:

12. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

I could like without it. like pp have said, borrow or find one cheap

13. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hello-
    I have two of them with the trays. My DD likes it because she loves to play with plastic cups and spoons. I can line them up in front of her and she loves to knock them off. My DS is only so-so about his. He looks around, but then seems to get bored. He's big also, but he still fits in it okay. It works best when I put them both in it next to each other. The movement from each of them playing keeps them entertained for a while.
    It's a good product to find used. There's no reason to pay full price. I saw several of them in our local resale shop (after I bought ours with gift cert's from BRU).

14. alex&andysmom

alex&andysmom Well-Known Member

I wish i would have got them when the boys were younger...the are so mobile now, they hate to be confined! we bought them new and they are a bit pricey...I would sell you mine for cheap I have trays too...PM me if your interested :)

15. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

waste of money for us, and I bought two. They liked being on the floor rolling around and then when they were able to they would sit on their own. Now they just chew on the bottom of them.

16. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

The girls liked theirs but the moment they became mobile they got out, so ours lasted only a few weeks. But they did enjoy it

17. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We had two of the BeBe pod seats which are little more expensive then the Bumbo seats because they come with trays, toys, and placemats. I had gift reciepts from my shower and debated returning them when the babies were 3 months old because they were $59.99 each. I figured the store credit would go farther than they would be used, but my sister convinced me to keep them. Well what a total waste. I still kick myself for not returning them. They have been used about 4 or 5 times. Max and Lily hated them and would only sit in them for about 5 minutes. Then they started arching their backs to fight being put into them. I now have them listed on craigslist for $30.00 each or best offer. I hope someone buys them because they are like new and I hate to waste a product in this economy.

18. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got 2 and to be honest, if we didn't spend every weekend at my parents house then no, it wouldn't be worth it. We had so much other stuff for them to do here. But at my parents we would feed them in the bumbos. We had the trays, and we'd put them in their bumbos on her kitchen counter. (She didn't have high chairs.) You have to stay there and watch that they don't tip over, of course, but they really came in handy for feeding when you don't have a high chair.

19. larastevens

larastevens Well-Known Member

ours were also well used for about 2 months. they were really effective for feeding before they were big enough for high chairs. but thats all we used them for. now dont tell mothercare (the shop we bought them from) but as we had kept the boxes and the receipt and as they clean to look like new, we just took them back, saying they were an unwanted gift and swapped them for two foldaway feeding chairs that will last them til they are on proper chairs.

20. akuaba

akuaba Well-Known Member

I wasn't a huge fan of the Bumbo and either were the twins. I used it..maybe..3 or 4 times. They preferred their bouncy seats and swings until they could sit up on their own. I wouldn't recommend it.

21. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

My girls never seemed to like them. Now, they are sitting up and I don't see a need for them. Every baby is different. I know people who loved their Bumbos. Maybe get one used, so then you don't waste $ if they don't like it. We actually returned one of ours.

22. bebedoc

bebedoc Well-Known Member

I had one from my son and then borrowed another. I'm using them right now for feeds, but that's about it. Once they are sitting here, there is no need for them. I would definitely look into used (ebay or craigslist) or borrowing them because they are used for such a short time that it's really not worth the money, IMO.

23. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I tried using one a little late, at almost 7 months, and my DD who was 17lbs only just fit. I didnt put her in it again as she couldnt hardly move. Luckily it was a borrowed one. As for DS, at the same age and 19lbs, he didnt fit at all! I wish I´d had one earlier though.

24. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

I saw both the bumbos and bebe pods in the stores, but after seeing them in person, and reading reviews, I realised that there was no way I was going to be able to wrestle my little chunkeroo of a daughter in and out of one of those. I ended up getting two of the summer infant 3 stage seats. To me, they are a much better value for money, as they grow with the child, and they have a removable toy tray. My babies use them every day for quiet sitting down time to play after a bottle, and love them. I call them their motherships :) . Totally worth it.