What is a good starter alarm clock for 5 years olds

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Gin Elliott, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Gin Elliott

Gin Elliott Well-Known Member

Many I find are to young or to old....also they dont like the beep beep that they make, I got a cute one for Brianna now I use it...cuz it beeps...

It must be digital, I am trying to let them know when they can get up out of bed, ready for school when it starts.....w/an alarm...

I seen one but didnt like it , it had the sounds like you could sleep to also , rain , heartbeat etc but it wasnt made for a childs room

what do you think??? What does yours like???

2. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

You know that's never been something I ever thought of! Could have been a nice birthday gift one year! LOL

I still call my kids every morning (those still at home anyway). If it is before dawn in winter, I put on lights and call them at least a half hour before it is essential that they get up so that they can wake up fairly normally with the "light".

I'm guessing that you have the opposite problem--children waking too early and you're worried that they'll wander around without your supervision? That's a tough one. This wasn't an issue for us very often and I'm not sure what I would do! I guess I would bring the children into my own room with something to do (books, quiet toys) until I was able to wake up enough myself to start the day. IS that an option for you?

3. Julie L

Julie L Well-Known Member

We just have a basic digital clock in each of the kids rooms. We don't use the alarms because them getting up has never been an issue. We have a rule that no one is allowed to get up before their clock reads 6:00. If they sleep a little later we just go wake them up. They are usually all up on their own by 7 which gives them a little over an hour before the bus comes. It's rare that we have to go wake someone up.

If your kids need to be woken up by an alarm I can see why you're having problems finding something. The kids' clocks are actually ones that dh bought for himself and ended up not liking. It's hard to know what sound they make until you've actually used them. Can you find one that you can set music to play as the alarm? Maybe a CD one so you can choose - I don't know if they even make such a thing.

4. Julie L

Julie L Well-Known Member

Okay I went looking- How about this: Hello Kitty CD clock radio

I know my 7 year old would love this and would have loved it at 5 years old too.

5. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have Lightening McQueen and Princess nightlight/alarms we bought at WalMart. It was a year ago so I don't know if they'll still have them. They were by the children's bedding.

We've never used the alarm feature yet, but one thing the kids like is that they have a digital face AND they shine the time up on the ceiling. So when the kids are laying in bed, they can see the time w/o getting up. It also has a dim extra light on top that you can turn on for a nightlight.

Marissa

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Actually there have been several threads on this topic in the 2-4 forum. And several members have ordered a really cool clock that has both digital and analog and it's face changes color. Let me go look it up.

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

8. Gin Elliott

Gin Elliott Well-Known Member

Thank you I will look at them...yeah my problem is they always wake up so early and I tell them to go back to bed...but if I had a clock and tell them they cant get up till it said XX time that would be great but they want so much when school starts to have there alarm..and I want something that can grow w/them.....I myself do better woken up by the music than the beeping..the beeping makes me jump so bad LOL!!!!

9. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Gin Elliott @ Apr 21 2009, 07:06 PM) [snapback]1283065[/snapback]
    Thank you I will look at them...yeah my problem is they always wake up so early and I tell them to go back to bed...but if I had a clock and tell them they cant get up till it said XX time that would be great but they want so much when school starts to have there alarm..and I want something that can grow w/them.....I myself do better woken up by the music than the beeping..the beeping makes me jump so bad LOL!!!!

Oh I hear you!! Back when I needed an alarm, I always had our clock radio just set to a classical station and it would wake me nice and gently!

Now, incredibly, I never need an alarm anymore. For at least the past 10-15 years, I have always been able to wake up at just the time I need to wake (even extra early for travel), so it just isn't something I think about anymore.

Meli that clock is so cool! Cute, cool and really practical!

10. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

Jacob has a rescue pet wake me up dog. His collar has the clock part on it. When you set it and turn on it lays down to go to sleep, in morning when time to wake he sits up and barks. It has worked really well getting them up in the morning. It does have a snooze feature, but they never use that. I see that also have a rescue pet wake me up monkey now too. This is the one Jacob has, but I don't think you can get the dalmation anymore.

11. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

We just have a regular digital radio alarm clock for the boys. Before we got them this, they would set the alarm on their DS, which I didn't even know it had...LOL

Melissa...that clock is super COOL!! I wish I'd known about that when the boys were learning to tell time, I so would've bought them one.

12. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this thread! That Teach Me Time clock is just *perfect* for my oldest one as she starts kindergarten....and, I'm thinking it might be great for my little ones after I transition them to beds, too.

Thanks again!

13. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I got Berkley one from Pottery Barn Kids at 5 that has a cd player on top and it would wake her w/ Disney Princess Songs, it was digital.
    I recommend using a clock. . . it helped her know when it was too early to get up. If she woke before the music came on she knew to turn on her light and read quietly as the rest of the house was still resting :D