What is the best toilet trainer?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Jan 14, 2014.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I am lookin for something to add to the toilet for my sons but there are so many different styles. What do you find best for boys?

Thanks!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The best one is one that they will use!  Take them to the store and let them help you pick one out!  As long as you get one with a peegaurd on it for boys, they all will work about the same way ;)

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

A urinal.  I found one on Amazon that worked great!  It was sort of a novelty and then teachers at the preschool did not have to teach him to stand up and pee.  :) 

4. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I read the tip here on the potty training sticky and I did it and it worked great with my son. He was 2 and 2 months and he got it in about 2-3 trials. I put a paper towel with butterflies drawings in the toilet and I asked my son to pee on the butterfly - he thought it was the best trick ever. After a few days I stopped using the paper towel. He pees standing and holding the raised toilet seat - so he is leaning towards the toilet to reach the toilet seat. This way the aiming is not an issue and it's fast and easy. He prefers to pee standing. About going #2 - he seats on a regular IKEA Potty or on a toilet ring seat - we make sure he is leaning forward just in case there's some pee also - experience teaches you :). In my opinion, having a boy and a girl - the boy was much easier to potty train and he got it faster.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would have to agree with Danielle, anything that will work (and will motivate them).  With my son, we started out with a little potty, graduated to a potty seat and then sitting on the toilet, then we worked on peeing standing up when he got taller.  Our toilet is higher up...my son still, at 6, has to stand on a stool to pee in our toilet.  

6. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Nancy brings up a good point - in the beginning the toilet was a bit too tall for Max to reach the seat with his arms - so he was standing on the scale - the stepping stool we have for the sink was too tall. 

7. JuliaS82

JuliaS82 Active Member

We have a little seat built into our regular toilet seat, which my daughter prefers. It has a small pee guard, but my son knows to make sure he's pointed in the right direction when he sits. (We haven't attempted standing yet)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CT50UA/?tag=mytwins02-20

But we also have a Prince Lionhart seat that my son frequently chooses for his potty time. I like that this one has a high pee guard, so I'm glad that he chooses it on his own.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZBI03I/?tag=mytwins02-20

These are obviously our "big potty" choices. Since my 2 used to fight over who got to sit first, we also have a Joovy Loo in each bathroom for when they both need to go at the same time. Also has a high pee guard.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BGNT7G/?tag=mytwins02-20