What is this rash?

Discussion in 'General' started by a1cbrandy, May 12, 2008.

1. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

How's her rash today?

I bet if it is better than it isn't Lymes. I thought that rash hangs around for a bit.

2. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Well her Lyme's test was negative. I called them today because I hadn't heard from them yet (7 days) The nurse was kind of rude to me..saying if the test is negative they won't call me. However, the doctor told me he would call me to see what the next step is in getting the rash taken care of. I asked her about that..and she said, "did the doctor tell you that there are millions of childhood rashes out there and most likely we wouldn't be able to tell you what your kids rash is?" I was getting frustrated at this point..since there was no call back..no answers..I was already not too happy with them. So she asked me if I wanted a follow up appt, I said no the rash is going away..but I am worried about a scar. She asked me how old she is again, I said 4 yrs old..and was then told..oh, don't worry about her..their skin heals so quick. UGH..I felt like every worry was being down played big time. I am glad it seems to be nothing serious..but I am a little disapointed in the care I got. If it had been something serious..would we even know? Not likely because they didn't seem to want to help me in any way at all..

Anyways..the spot is still red..but not scaly or raised anymore. It does look like it is healing. So I told them we will just let it go. But I am wondering if I should make a complaint to the head of the clinic. It won't do much good..but at least they will know I wasn't taken seriously.

Brandy

3. momotwinsmom

Glad to hear it was negative and that it is healing. Sorry about the care you received. That is very frustrating. I wouldn't complain, especially if you know nothing will come of it.

4. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

Brandy one of my grandson's has eczema and that looks very similar to how some of his spots come up. Right now he's in a very active episode involving large areas of his body, but his first episode was one lone spot that looked much like your daughters. When it first started they told us to use a cortizone cream and follow it up with a eucerin (cream - not lotion). His has been getting worse and we all swore when the places would come up (they would be round and red and swollen and scaly) we thought ring worm. Some cases of eczema are sporadic and they never return, but some such as my grandsons are very severe. He's under the care of both his pedi and a dermitologist now. We use steroids, a perscription cream and ointment and perscription shampoo. If you notice other places you might want to check out eczema. Again, eczema can be a rare occurence or it can happen often such as in our case but the first step we took was the cortizone and we use eucerin everyday. Their are certain common triggers to eczema and we've been trying to eliminate those for M. Good luck and hope you find the answer.

5. a1cbrandy

Well the rash never went away and now is back and bigger (its actually going into the corner of her eye a little now). Its a little different looking now, the inside is clear..the outside is scaly and red (almost like peeling). I have another appt tomorrow at 2:30, with a GOOD doctor. He is great..and will help me I know.

I will also make sure they find out what this could be..instead of making me feel like I am just a worried mom. The rash is ugly..and it is not going away. I want it cured.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will update more tomorrow.

Brandy

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Really sounds like ringworm. I know they have told you it isn't but it sounds like it & the pictures look like it. My kids have had it & it does get scaly around the edges & clear in the middle. Usually it itches, but not always. Good luck finding out what it is, at least if it's ringworm it will clear up fairly easily with an antifungal cream.

Oh, and my daughter had a patch of it on her forehead once & when it spread into the eyebrow, the hair fell out there. Evidently, that's normal, so if you see that don't worry about it, it will grow back.

7. a1cbrandy

Thanks Tina. The weird thing is I had been putting the antifungal cream on her rash for about 1 1/2 weeks. It got a little better, but even before I stop putting the cream on..it started coming back. Very weird...

Brandy

8. tinalb

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ May 27 2008, 05:58 PM) [snapback]796238[/snapback]
    Thanks Tina. The weird thing is I had been putting the antifungal cream on her rash for about 1 1/2 weeks. It got a little better, but even before I stop putting the cream on..it started coming back. Very weird...
    Brandy

It might have gotten bad enough that you need a prescription strength cream if that's what it turns out to be. They should be able to take a little scraping & test it (it doesn't hurt) so that they can tell you for sure. Once we had to get a cream that was antifungal mixed with hydrocortisone before it went away completely. And if it isn't completely gone when you stop using the cream, it will come back. Can you tell we had a problem with ringworm one year? My kids kept passing it back & forth and it was such a pain!

9. a1cbrandy

Here is the rash today. About 3 weeks after the first flare up. I have an appt this afternoon at 2:00 pm. I will update later. :)

Brandy

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am curious to see what the dr says! good luck!

11. momotwinsmom

How did you make out with this other dr?

12. a1cbrandy

Sorry we have been dealing with this stomach bug, so I forgot to update. LOL

We did see a better doctor and he said he thinks it is ring worm. He did a skin scraping, and sent it to the lab. We should get the results next week. He did give me a stronger cream to put on one time a day. I did it yesterday and today and its looking better already. He said it should be gone by this weekend, and if its not we will be seeing a demerotologist next week to figure out what it is.

This doctor took the time to look up pictures of the rash..took a skin sample..and made sure to keep me updated. I love him.

Thanks again for the help..I will update if I get anything else. But I am hoping this rash is gone by Monday.

Brandy

13. tinalb

:clapping: Sounds like this guy is on top of things!

14. momotwinsmom

Thats good. Glad he was more knowledgable.