What is your opinion on afternoon preschool vs. morning?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kellyx2, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

My girls will turn 3 in July and go to preschool Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Fall. Our preschool options are 9-11:30 OR 12:30-3. I originally thought I wanted morning but we are SO not morning people. So, I'm considering afternoon. They still take great naps but who knows what will happen in 8 months. Worst case is they won't nap those days but will nap the other days. My feeling is this....they will spend their whole life having to get up early for school, work, etc. They only have 2 years left where they don't HAVE to wakeup early...so why force it. We'll have relaxed mornings and then they will have lunch and go to school.

Just wanted to hear other people's opinions on afternoon vs. morning and what you liked or didn't like about the time you chose.

Thanks!

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys went to afternoon preschool, and we didn't have any problems. A friend of mine had her son in AM preschool last year, and swiched him to PM preschool this year, because she felt that she could easily occupy him in the mornings, and the afternoons was when he was at loose ends, so PM preschool gives him something to do.

3. pamamom

pamamom Well-Known Member

I love morning preschool, but we tend to be morning people and my duo still nap. Actually on preschool mornings they take GREAT naps in the afternoon. I can get so much done on preschool days. :D

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We're in afternoon preschool this year and it's worked out fine. They gave up naps by their third birthday, and also started sleeping in a little later. Most mornings they wake up around 8:00, and like to linger a bit now instead of getting right up and eating breakfast, so it's worked out really well. I hate having to rush out the door for morning appointments.

5. LoriK

LoriK Well-Known Member

I prefer morning preschool because I have other kids up & getting ready to go...so the ps'er is going to be up anyhow. Plus, mine all fell into the really great nappers category too.

6. DinaJ

DinaJ Well-Known Member

At that age, I would keep the nap. Many children still need it. I had one child stop napping at age 3, but my oldest had to be "weaned" when she was 5 1/2 and going to start kinder.

When my boys were a year older, almost 5 and for Pre-K, they did afternoon. It was great. 2 less children to get up and dressed in the morning and they loved playing in their jammies anyway. Plus, by the time they were bored with each other, it was lunch time and then off to preschool! I'm with you--they'll have to get up early soon enough! (But I'd wait until they aren't napping anymore.)

7. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

My kids all stopped napping by age 2, so naps weren't an issue for me. That said...when my oldest went to preschool, I wanted mornings, but they were full and I got stuck with afternoons. I LOVE afternoons! First of all, they are always crabbier in the afternoons, but great in school...so a total win for me! And they went to bed so good on school days because they were exhausted by bedtime (as long as it was early enough...before that 2nd wind or the total tired meltdown hit). So, from that year on I have always chosen afternoons. Plus, there seem to always be less children, so they have smaller classes, which to me is a plus as well!

8. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I chose mornings for my girls because they still napped and I didn't want them to give that up (they would come home eat lunch and go down for nap), we are also morning people. My girls have always gotten up early so it was no big deal with getting them ready in the morning and going.

9. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

We do mornings. My kids, for God only knows what reason, all get up by 6:30. It's VERY rare they are sleeping past that. I could cry just talking about it. lol.

Anyway, the girls still nap for at least hrs each afternoon and can occasionally go without the nap but only if they've slept later than 6:30. I could probably fix all of this by killing off the nap and making bedtime a little earlier but I have Alex on one nap so it works fine for all of us this way.

10. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

I did afternoon for my son when he was 4. He had not been napping for almost a year. I loved it. He went to school and my twins napped. I had almost 2 hours to myslef every day!!

Cindy

11. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I chose morning because my boys still napped, and it didn't start until 9am. My boys were/are up at 5:30-6am every morning, so it wasn't an issue of having to wake them up early, it was more about keeping their nap schedule intact. They loved it! I loved it! It was only 2 1/2 hours, so they'd come home, have lunch and crash.

12. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

We did mornings too. My husband & I both work so they would of had to get up early anyway. They also still napped. At almost 6 I still have one that will nap on non-school days.

13. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Mine all napped until age 4, so I went with morning preschool. Plus, I hate having my day broken up in the middle. I prefer to get stuff done in the morning so the rest of the day is free.

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I personally have always done morning preschool. I think for one, it helps get them ready for going to K since they have to get up and go in the morning and also my 3 year olds are still and will still (hopefully) be taking a nap in the afternoon or at least have a rest time.

15. ehm

ehm Banned

Afternoons were awesome for us. Sometimes they napped after school (it never affected their bedtime) and they definitely napped on no school days.

16. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

Hats off to any twin parent who can get their kids out of the house before 11 am. As I'm not 1 of them, afternoon preschool is truly the only option :)

17. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

So I switched from morning to afternoon! I hope I made the right decision. They still nap but who knows what they will be doing in 8 months! If they are still nappers, I'm hoping that they will nap on the days they are not in school. ...and the days they ARE in school they will just go to bed early. Hopefully! :)

18. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Morning here too, but I have an older who goes all day and my twin girl goes on the bus with her. My son is in another (smaller) program and starts at 8.30 am. They still nap and/or have quiet time. My oldest gets home around the time they wake up. Next year my oldest will start Primary (UK system) and will leave around 7.40 am and come back at 3.30 pm or so (school from 8.30 until 2.30 and it's on the other side of the Island, about 40 minutes away). The twins will go somewhere else next year, starting at 8.45 am, from K2 onwards they can stay full days to prepare for Primary 1.