What kind of milk do your 2 year olds drink?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jen8675309, Oct 27, 2010.

1. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

Hello 2-4 Moms and Dads!

I am just entering this forum- my girls just turned 2 last Friday. I went to their WBV 2 year appt today and the pedi told me I could switch to skim or 1% from 2%. My SIL thought that was horrible that kids could drink 1% or skim milk, she thought they should atleast drink 2%. One of my girls is very big- 36 inches tall and 35 pounds. The pedi did not say she was overweight, but thought that switching to 1% or skim milk would be a good idea.

What do your 2 year olds drink? Thanks!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Our pedi actually told us to stick to whole milk at 24 months, because my kids are not big (she's skinny and he's a bit small, even if his weight is fine for his height). We did switch to 2% around 28 months though... but my kids were never big milk drinkers, maybe 10oz a day most days.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 2 years old my two drank 2% and now at 4.5 years old they still drink 2% milk.

4. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I don't even drink 1% or skim :laughing: I'm just not a low-fat kind of gal. That said, my kids goat's milk or coconut milk most of the time, but if they do have a splash of cow's milk, it is whole just because I'm still in the fattening up mode since their preemie days.

5. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday to your girls!!

My dh, oldest and I drink skim milk and the 3 little ones drink whole milk. The twins who will be 3 in 3 months are little and can use the fat. Plus our ped said that it's good for their growing brain. I don't know if it matters but we will follow the advice of our ped and keep them on whole milk until she says otherwise.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Our ped told us to switch to 2% at two years. I don't think they ever said what to do after that, but we still give them 2% because they prefer it (DH and I drink skim, and if we give them that by accident, they think we watered down their milk :laughing: ), and neither of them eats enough anyway. If I thought there was any chance of them gaining too much, I'd switch to skim, I guess.

7. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We switched from whole milk to 2% at 2 years and are still on 2% milk.

8. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

We just turned two last Thursday and the pedi said we could switch to 1% or 2% just whatever we drink. Well, I drink skim and put them on 2%. Mine are also ones that LOVE their milk, but don't seem to eat very much, so I like have the extra fat!

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm a rarity I guess...LOL! I drink skim and my dh doesn't really drink milk at all. So I buy skim. At times I will get 1 %, or that's what dh buys. My boys LOVE their milk and would drink that all day if they could! I will ask at the pedi's next month if skim is fine for them. They certainly are not lacking in size or anything that I know of!

10. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

My girls get whole, but they aren't on the growth charts yet. If my kids were of average size, I would have no problem giving them skim or 1% milk. DH and I drink 1%, so that's what they will eventually drink when we get the go ahead from the ped.

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

my pedi never really mentioned anything... though maybe b/c we still breastfeed a couple of times a day. ours don't tolerate cow's milk, so I give them Almond Milk, its probably comparable to Skim milk... 60 cal per 8oz and only 2.5 gms Fat. works for us...

good luck figuring it all out.

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

your 2 year old is the size of my 4 and a half year old LOL!!! DH and I aren't milk drinkers - just for his coffee and my cereal occasionally so they are still on whole milk and will probably stay that way for a while...if we are out I know most places serve 2% and that's ok but at home they get whole...

13. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My kids either had breastmilk (choice #1) or whole milk until age 2. Then they got switched to 2%. At 3 they went to what we all drink. I have always heard that milk boosts the brain so that is why I have done that. My kids aren't big for their ages.

14. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My boys didn't tolerate milk well so one is still on alimentum and the other is on 1% and has been since 16 months per their dieticians advice. He told me I could make up the fat in their diet in other ways and my little guy does really well with it.

15. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

At almost 3 1/2 my boys drink whole still. Actually it's 1/2 pediasure and 1/2 milk, or carnation instant breakfast. My guys are off the charts so it'll be a good long time before we can switch them. Dh and I drink skim as do the big boys.

16. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two still drink whole milk, they are in the 5th -10th percentile for weight. DH and I drink almond milk.

17. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls have been on 2% since they were 2. I don't plan on switching them any time soon.

BTW, very cute Avi jen8675309!! And love your username!!

18. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

When the girls turned 2 we switched them to 2% from homo milk.

19. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Mine are at whole milk. Their heights are very good as are their weights. They usually get about 50% - 75% for their weights and their heights at 75% - 90%. But they are slim boys. Their are in 3t shirts (a couple of 2t but they are really squeezing out) and mostly 2t pants and some 18 month pants. The 18month pants are definitely too short, but they fit comfortably in to the waistlines. The 2t pants fit better as far as length, but they are starting to look short on some of the pants I own. Some 2t pants are still very big around the waist. We are not trying to fatten them up so they fit in to their pants, but we don't want them to loose any weight either. Their doctor has not suggested we change anything since the boys are doing well on what they have.

20. Username

Username Well-Known Member

none. My kids never drank cow's milk that young.

21. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Our ped was very laissez faire about the whole thing when we asked. He said he has recommended some kids go on skim as early as 2 if they are on the heavy side, but said we could continue on whole milk since our guys are skinny. But he also said we could give them 2% if we wanted. :pardon: He wasn't very helpful! :laughing:

We decided to keep our boys on whole milk because they are so skinny. They eat *really* well, but the food seems to evaporate; I can see their ribs, and their 12 month pants still fit in the waist (though not for length)!! I figure if they start filling out I'll move to lower fat milk, but they seem to be thriving on the whole milk for now.

22. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They drank the same as my husband, 2%. (milk = ewwwwww for me) My two have pretty much always been tall but skinny.

23. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two have been on 2% ever since they turned 2.

24. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

At about 2 we switched to 2% like we drink. AS I am pregant again we get whole sometimes and we all drink it.

25. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

:bday:

L&M drink whole milk for the simple fact that I don't drink anything but whole milk. Mine had always been in the 90th percentile for their weight until their 4 year well child check. Now they are in the 70th percentile.

26. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Same.

27. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My skinny little children still drink whole milk, all three of them.

28. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

we drink 2% milk around here so that's what they drink too.

tanya

29. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My two still drink whole milk.....they are 5.

They are skinny little things so we try to get all the calories we can.

30. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Mine switched to 2% at 2. Pedi said we could go to 1% at 3. I'll probably ask at their 3 yr well child when we can go to skim. That's what we drink, so I'd like to just buy one kind.

31. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We did whole milk until age 3 because both of my kids are very small for their age. (DD was not on her weight chart yet at 24 months, and DS was at 10th percentile.) We also put Carnation Instant Breakfast in both cups of DD's milk since she eats like a bird. Around age 3, I started buying 2% because DD finally made it to the 3rd percentile and DS jumped up to the 25th. I still put Carnation Instant Breakfast in DD's milk. Since switching I have not noticed either kid slimming down or eating any more or less.

DH drinks skim and I don't drink milk at all. I can't imagine ever switching the kids to skim milk since they are so small.

32. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Wow - I am definintely in the minority here. DH and i drink skim milk only. And, I switched my kids from camel milk (as we had some milk intolerance for quite awhile with DS, so they both drank camels milk) to 1% milk around 26months old. Mine are probably in the 50% for height and weight category. They are doing fine with 1%, I decided to switch them after doing some research online. Most of what I could find said that kids over 2yrs old didn't need the fat in the milk, and I didn't want mine to get too used to the rich taste of whole milk. My kids have not had a dip in weight, and they are not too skinny or overweight, so we just go with the flow.

33. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

I didn't read the other replies. We are a high cholesterol family. My guys are 20-25% for weight. Fine for height.
    We were given the okay to gradually switch them to lower fat milk. We are now alternating between 2% & 1% with no rejections.
    My guys still overdrink milk at this point. We are over 3 gallons/week.

34. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We recently switched them to 1%, neither drinks much milk anyways (maybe 8-10 oz on a good day, usually 4-6 oz) and they eat a ton, they are more than making up their fat intake in other ways :)

35. brlowe

brlowe Well-Known Member

Mine have been on 1% since 2 years old. They are average weight and height.