What size bike did you get your 4 yr old?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Snittens, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We got the girls bikes for their birthday. They are 40" tall, and I remembered a thread on here where everyone was saying they got their 4 yr olds 16" bikes. Well, we went to Toys R Us, had them try out the bikes, and decided on the 14" for Ainsley, because she still has a bit of a gross motor delay and sometimes has trouble getting on and off things. Bea tried out the bikes, and at the store, the 16" seemed OK. But now that she's been trying it at home, it kind of freaks her out that she can't quite touch the ground with her feet. We're thinking about going back and getting her a 14" too. I guess we're stuck with the other bike, since it is assembled and has been ridden outside. Hope she still likes it in 2 years. Part of me feels like maybe we should wait it out and just see if she gets used to it, but I also don't want her to be scared of the bike.

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We just went and tried out the 16s as well because I was worried about it (SIL bought them without asking and my boys have some short legs). One of the 16s seemed too big but another worked well. I'm not sure what the difference was exactly ??? The store we visited didn't have any 14s but the 12s were clearly too small so I figured it's better to grow into than grow out of... but my guys weren't frightened to use the larger bikes either. I think if I were you I'd get her a 14 and let her move up when she's ready.

3. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Our boys have 16" bikes. Jacob is average for his age (50%). He's just now comfortable with the 16" bike. He'd probably even do better with a 14" bike.

Instead of buying another one new, what about Craigslist? We got both our bikes for $40 total.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We got them 16" bikes at 4. Jon moved up to a 20" at 6, and Marcus at 7. I would give the 16" bike a chance, once she is used to it, she will probably like it better. Also, they shouldn't be flatfooted when standing on their bike, that means it is too small, and when it is too small, it really is harder to pedal.

5. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have 12" bikes for ours and they work well. They don't use training wheels so I wanted to make sure that they could reach the ground really well and they can. I think my 9yr old has a 16inch and there is no way my 6 yr old could ride it yet.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Emilie and Trevor are riding 12 inch bikes now and I'm planning on them riding them next summer as well, at 4.5 years old. However, if I was buying a bike for them next summer for the first time I'd probably go with a 14 inch bike.

7. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls both got 16 inch bikes for their birthday in May. First time riding it, Dani got spoked and did not want to ride the bike. We got her a really cute 12 inch barbie bike at toys r us with birthday gift cards. I think the bike was $40 or $50. She still loves it, even if she rides her 16 inch bike as well as the 12 inch one.

8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I think we lucked out that TRU had a couple 14" to choose from. Now I'm seeing that they are hard to find. I'm going to keep my eye out on Craigslist for a couple days, but if not, we'll head back and get another 14".

9. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I actually don't know how tall my girls are right now...over 3 ft, but not sure by how much :unsure: . They have 12" bikes that they have had for two years. I'm not changing them any time soon. The recommendation is that they ride it until it looks ridiculously too small. Too small is better than too big.