what size bike for 3.5 years old

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MichelleL, Jun 20, 2009.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I'm going to ask the grandparents to get the girls bikes for their birthday. They are on the taller side, and since their birthday isn't until September, won't get much use out of them until next year, around 3.5-4. So I want to get something that will last more than a few months. Should we go with the 16" ones?

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We got 12" this spring and they will be too small next year (at 4)....but the 16" were WAY TOO wide in the handle bars. My girls are tall, but their arms did not span the handlebars very well. They also could not touch the ground even with seats all the way down. (tall torsos and short legs). It may also depend on brand of bike--TRU had a few 'less wide' bikes, but they were out of our price range.

We decided that 14", though hard to find would have been a better pick. Our neighboor got a 14" at age 2.5 and used it until he was 5 and he was/is tall.

3. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

I would not get more than a 12 inch. My boys are 3.5 and big, they are riding a 10 inch Thomas bike.

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls got a 16 inch bike from my MIL for their 4th birthday. Girls loved it in the store riding all around. They went to a bike shop. We got it home and Dani decided that she was not big enough for the bike and refused to ride it.
    We wound up going to toys r us and getting her a 12 inch bike which she loves.

5. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

It really depends on their height -- I'd take them to the store and have them sit on 12-inch bikes, and see if you think they're going to outgrow them in a couple months. They really need to be able to put both feet flat on the ground while sitting on the bike, in order to be confident riding it.

Nadia got a bike at almost-5, but she was too tall for 16-inch, and too short for 20-inch. We had to find an 18-inch bike, which was nearly impossible to do!

ETA -- even going by their current height isn't all that accurate, because they could have longer inseams than torso, or vice versa.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine both are riding a 12 inch bike now and we are planning on them using it again next summer, at 4.5 years old, as well. :pardon: Caroline rode her 12 inch bike until she was 4.5, yeah it was a little small on her at that point, but it's really not a big deal. You can raise the seats on them if needed.

I think a 16 inch bike would be way too big for your girls now. Caroline was riding one of those last summer at age 7. Since your girls won't do much riding on it until next summer when they'd almost be 4, I'd probably say get a 14 inch bike, but think 12 would be just fine as well.

7. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My kids have had 12 inch bikes for over a year and they are still using them. In fact, we are learning to ride without training wheels and I am glad they are still on the small bikes. It has been easy for them. Their feet are close to the ground!!! :lol:

My kids are on the taller side too (43 inches currently), and I would imagine we will use these as long as we can. When they turn five we may get new ones.

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm going with 12 if you are getting them now. Ali refuses to ride her 16 incher with training wheels - it's too high up. I am not going to get her a 12 incher - but I would at 3!!!

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys got 16" bikes for their 4th birthday. Jon rode his for 2 years, Marcus for 3 years. I do think you should take them to a bike shop to be fitted for the appropriate bike.

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!!

11. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

we just got 16" bikes a couple weeks ago and my two LOVE them. mine are pretty tall for their age, but i love that they can use the 16" ones for a few years.