What size bike for a 12 year old?

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Nov 22, 2010.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our office has adopted 8 children for xmas and two of them are almost 12 year old twin boys. They wear average size clothes (12-14 kids) so I was wondering what size bike (is 20" too small?) would be good for them?

2. TD

TD Well-Known Member

My Daughter has a 20" bike that we bought when she was 7, and this summer she was 9, and it was too small. She has a smaller than average inseam as well.

I would think by the time you are 12, you are probably looking at grown-up sizes of bikes (I know I got my first 10 speed bike when I was 12 and used it until I was 21). The inseam is a key measurement for determining the bike size.

Have fun shopping for the kids.

T

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Awesome, I will look at bigger adult sized bikes. They can always move the frame down too.

Thank you SOOOOOOO much!!

4. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I agree with the adult sized. My 10 has a 20" and he is really too big for it now.

5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

My DD is 10 and I will be getting her a 26" for Christmas. I am crossing my fingers it will not be too big, but I think she will be pretty close.