What "structured" activities do you do with you 17/18 month olds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Momto1now3, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Momto1now3

Momto1now3 Well-Known Member

I have been reading a lot lately that structured time is so important. Children need free play, but no during every play opportunity. I definately want my children to learn different skills and I would love some input on what you are doing daily to give them a variety in their activities.

2. Momto1now3

Momto1now3 Well-Known Member

I have been reading a lot lately that structured time is so important. Children need free play, but no during every play opportunity. I definately want my children to learn different skills and I would love some input on what you are doing daily to give them a variety in their activities.

3. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

Mine have a lot of free play and being a teacher I have seen this is good. They will make their little people kiss or hug, walk etc...cars will go across the floor.
    However, I also read a lot to them and lately they are super into puzzles.
    HTH

4. ads3046

ads3046 Well-Known Member

We don't actually have structured activities yet, however our day is pretty routine. Lately, we have focused more on getting outside to explore our environment. I did purchase some puzzles for Christmas and I'd like to start with the crayons, but haven't figured out a safe place to do it yet. I'll be interested to read more of the posts you get here.

Angela

5. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Today I tried going to "MY Gym", which is kind of like Gymboree. They do attempt to make it structured. I must say, however, that my boys are NOT into structure. They just wanted to run and play on everything and they get furious made to sit in a circle, etc. It's a hard balance. I've tried story/song time at the library and they are just too into moving.

6. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

Before or after meals, we stay at the counter and do an activity. I purchased rubber basting brushes from a kitchen store, they are just like paint brushes, but all rubber. I found the coloring pictures at Target that show color once they are wet. I put a little water in bowls and the girls dip their paintbrushes into them and paint on the cards. They love it!!! I also found sponges, they stamp in the water and then put onto colored paper. I've also been trying crayons, however, they are still eating them. We also do alot of flashcards and they love them!

7. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

We have lots of playtime here too, but we have a little (and I mean little) structured time after meals while they are in their highchairs. We read books, do flash cards, sing silly songs, etc. We also have a nice routine down so the boys know what to expect throughtout the day. I have picked up some puzzles and a big aquadoodle for Christmas. My in-laws got them a table and chairs for Christmas so we will be practicing sitting and drawing etc. Yeah right you guy say :)!!!!

quote:
    my boys are NOT into structure. They just wanted to run and play on everything and they get furious made to sit in a circle, etc.

Alison, I've been taking my boys to a class like this since September to try and give them some structure. The class is 45 minutes (1/2 hour of free play and 15 minutes of structure at the end). I also go 15 minutes early for some extra free play. I will say that the first couple of times I wondered if I was crazy attempting this. They LOVED the free play and HATED the structure. I didn't force them to stay w/the structure in the beginning and just followed them around the room. After about 6 weeks of class, they know the routine, they go to the teacher to get their maracas for singing songs and shaking them, they love the bubbles, we sing songs w/actions and they sit in my lap (well one of them does anyway :) for this, they know when class ends and goes to get their sticker from the teacher. They still do not like being on or under the parachute so I don't make them. Our boys are the exact same age (same birthday :) so I know how fun the age is. I also have one son that is just a bulldozer and does not like to be contained or confined for things. He will throw a huge fit. He's been my biggest challenge at class. I guess my point is, maybe try the class a few more times. I know it's a lot of work for you, but it just might pay off in the end and be a fun outing for the 3 of you.

HTH
    Mendy

8. MusicalAli

Thanks, Mendy. I'm going to try it since it's free (who can turn down anything free?) and the other people in the class are just going to have to deal :) hehehe.

As for flashcards, what do you people do with flash cards????

9. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

We have the learning flashcards with pictures on them. They love them. They like to play with them and show me the pictures and say "cat, dog, etc." I have different sets of cards that I show them like opposites (up/down), around the house words, first words, numbers, etc. They love to sit and have you tell teach them new words.

Good luck

10. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to start taking mine to a gymnastics center around here that has a mommy and me class. I know a lot of the places require one adult per child at some of the "my gym" types of places so you may want to call ahead. I had some friends that ran into that problem.
    I loved the painting with water idea...I am going to try that. Mine have just gotten into having tea parties on the floor. Of course we don't use water yet but they are really getting into using their kitchen and pretending. Don't know that you would call that structured but its a start I guess right!

11. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

Flashcards- my older dd had them and to my surprise the twins go nuts over them... but they like to rip them apart..so we don't get them out often...

We also have a table for them...and they love sitting there to color with their big sister...

12. MusicalAli

Yeah, flashcards definitely won't work for us. They can't even say "mama" or "dada". They love to read, though.

13. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

14. Holly Wiebe

Holly Wiebe Well-Known Member

Wow! I would LOVE some structure. The only way I can even read to them is for me to stand up so they can't grab the book. One of my guys only walks when he wants to. Yesterday he stood up, walked about 15' and went back to crawling. My other little guy doesn't walk - he runs - constantly.

My kids are all boy. Climb on and over everything. I saw a little girl their age sitting on a chair, having a snack. I laughed. Can't imagine my boys sitting and eating a snack on anything unless they are tied in.

I bow to your structured lives! [​IMG]

Holly

15. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Well-Known Member

My twins are 20 months and we still don't have much structure. We read and they are starting to color more, but STILL EAT THE CRAYONS!! It drives me nuts. DD loves to color but also loves to eat crayons..DS just likes to eat the crayons, no coloring for him. We do however go to a Musikgarten class once a week. It is called Family Music Together and it is for kids up to age 5 with their parents so all three kids and I go. DD loves it. She participates and does everything the teacher asks. My youngest DD is more of just a roamer. He doesn't really participate and my oldest DD (4 yrs) does some of the activities. He is not really into singing, though I wish he was. It is something structured though, and also socialization with other children which is good for the twins since they are home all the time.