What time do your 2-year-olds go to bed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We've had a 6:30-7:00 bedtime since the girls were 4 months old, and we've loved it -- all that "adult" time! They turned 2 last week and we're still putting them down around 7, but now they are sometimes up chatting and singing until almost 8. Their wakeup time has gotten a tiny bit later -- 6:30, give or take half an hour, rather than 6:00. They take 1-1.5 hour naps at daycare and 2-3 hour naps at home on weekends.

Just curious if anyone else found that their 2-year-olds shifted their schedule a bit later or needed a bit less sleep? I like the early bedtime most of the time, but I wonder if it's silly to keep insisting on it if they don't really need it.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

The bedtime here is 8:00. Sometimes they go right to sleep, but they've been known to frequently play for at least an hour!! That makes me :crazy: ! They get up most of the time about 7:30.

3. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Mine go to bed at 7:30, but definitely play for awile. They ususally wake up around 7:30-8:00 and nap for 2.5-3 hours. I think we shifted from 7 to 7:30 around 18 months.

4. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

We go to bed here at about 8 and they are usually always asleep by 8:30, and they wake anywhere between 7 and 7:45. I love this schedule!

5. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Mine are in separate rooms, so I think this makes it easier. They go to bed around 8:30, and usually go right to sleep (at least they're quiet). Sleep until 8:00 is in the morning (except it's now 8:30 and no sounds yet - I need to go get them up!)

Over thanksgiving they shared a room at granny's house, and they did stay up chatting (and singing!) for at least an hour. Also woke up early and were talking - but at least they were happy and I didn't have to go in!

-Rachel

6. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ Nov 28 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]511880[/snapback]
    The bedtime here is 8:00. Sometimes they go right to sleep, but they've been known to frequently play for at least an hour!! That makes me :crazy: ! They get up most of the time about 7:30.

Same with us. Mine go down around 7:45-8:00. Sometimes they go right to sleep, sometimes they chat for awhile. This wasn't really a problem at 2 for us though. We put them down at 7:30 and they were out...probably b/c they weren't talking that much at that point...lol!

7. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

Mine go to bed at 7pm every night cry for about 5 mins and go to sleep, however, they may or may not wake up a few times a night for about 5-10 minutes at a tiime screaming and then right back to sleep (mini night terrors) they wake up between 6-6:30am and I get them at about 7am. Mine only nap for about 45min- 1hr. a day so thankfully I still have the adult time going for now....

8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

They go to bed around 7:30-7:45. Their wake time has shifted to close to 8:00, occasionally even 8:30. Sometimes bedtime is bit earlier if they didn't nap and are getting grumpy. On days that they did nap, it can take them a good hour or more to fall asleep. On no nap days, they are usually out within 15 min. They have been known to stay up and play until 9:30! However, they are happy, no one's crying or screaming, so I figure the wind-down time in their room is good for them. I don't let it bother me that they aren't sleeping. I really need to stick a recorder in their room sometime and record all the cute things they say and do. They sing all kinds of songs, have little discussions, it's really cute.

I did try to shift them back to a 7:00-7:00 schedule with the time change, but they shifted themselves back. I say as long as they are happy and not fussing at bedtime, keep it where it is.

9. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

We've always put ours down about 7-7:30 and they are still doing that. They go to sleep after about 10 minutes of chatting. They get up anywhere from 7-9am, usually about 7:30.
    No changes here so far.

10. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Ideally they'd go down at 8:00pm so DH gets extra time with them, but they rarely make it that late. Usually anywhere from 7:15-7:45pm. They will grab their loveys and stand at the gate to go up to their room and whine when they are ready. I have excellent sleepers - they know when they are tired!

11. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

They go to bed at 7:30 (switched from 7pm at 20 months or so ) and get up between 6:30 & 7:30. Usually they chat for 15 min to 45 at bedtiem and naptime, but they are happy & I think it is a good wind down time. They nap from 12/1 to 2ish

12. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I put them in bed between 7 & 7:30 and they're asleep within 15 minutes most of the time. On days when they've had much more stimulation than usual, they take longer to wind down (30-45 minutes). The worst was a day when they took a short nap, we'd been out boating most of the day, had dinner out, and then brought them home late. I thought they'd be asleep before their head touched the mattress but it took an hour for them to go to sleep :rolleyes: AND they woke early the next morning! So now I try to temper busy days with a long winding down period (starting their bath very early so they can splash for a long time really helps).

13. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

Mine seem to sleep much less than everyone else who has posted. We start baths at 8Pm and usually turn the lights out around 8:45. Elizabeth is usually asleep within 5 minutes or less. Grace takes anywhere from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours to get to sleep. :huh: Elizabeth wakes up between 5:30am and 6:30am. Grace sleeps until 6:30am to 7am. They nap for 1.5 to 2 hours each day.

14. rachel123

rachel123 Well-Known Member

Mine go to bed anytime between 7-8 and they are up by 7:30am They also take their nap between 1 and 3-3:30 if I am lucky. They seem to be up for any where from 10mins to 1hr after we put them to bed.

15. wentztwins

wentztwins Active Member

This sounds like the same schedule mine twins are on. When I saw how all the others slept so long at night I thought "what am I doing wrong"

QUOTE(**Sandy** @ Nov 28 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]512536[/snapback]
    Mine seem to sleep much less than everyone else who has posted. We start baths at 8Pm and usually turn the lights out around 8:45. Elizabeth is usually asleep within 5 minutes or less. Grace takes anywhere from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours to get to sleep. :huh: Elizabeth wakes up between 5:30am and 6:30am. Grace sleeps until 6:30am to 7am. They nap for 1.5 to 2 hours each day.

16. CapeBretoner_123

CapeBretoner_123 Well-Known Member

Between 6:30 and 7pm...still7pm now. Sometimes 7:30pm if were doing something. Drives me insane seeing kids up all night. My brother and his wife have one son(so far), and he's up till10:30pm so he sleeps later. Then they sleep in. All I can say is good luck when its school time next year.

We are on a 7pm-7am schedule.

17. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

Our bedtime has definitely shifted later as they've gotten older. We used to be strictly at 6:30, but as they've gotten older they've become much more flexible, so we do a bit of a lter bedtime now so we can spend more time with them after work. They usually are in bed by 8-8:30, and they wake up anywhere between 7:30-8:30. Many mornings I have to wake them up so I can get them ready for daycare, or at least rouse them fully, as I usually feed them breakfast around 7:30-7:45ish.

Now, I say they go to bed between 8-8:30, but they often stay up chatting and singing and "reading" in the dark for a good long while after that. Natalie is more the one who does that than Rita, and I'm convinced she'd do it even if she were in her own room. Natalie is more the night owl/morning grumposaurus like her mommy, and Rita tends to fall asleep soon after her head hits the pillow and wake up more easily in the morning. Natalie is quite the dramatic morning person -- she flops around in her bed, covering her face with her blankie and her pillow, saying, "Mommy, it's too bright! Turn off the light!" and "I'm so tired! I need to go back to sleep!" etc.

Anyway, many nights I hear her in there even after 10pm -- so sometimes as long as 2-2.5 hours after we put them in their cribs. But I don't go in there or anything; I just let her do her thing. I know I tend to require quite a bit of a wind-down before I can get to sleep, and actually I get a bit hyper before I go to bed usually, so I figure she's the same way. I don't think they keep the other one awake so much as they just need some time to wind down.

I do like when they're singing songs together, though. Some of the cutest moments in our house are heard through their bedroom door after we've put them to bed!

18. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Mine go to bed around 7:15-7:30pm. Lately they've been falling asleep around 8:30ish due to the massive amount of chatting, singing, goofing around, etc., going on in there. I think if they were in separate rooms, they'd fall asleep sooner. They are definitely entertaining each other!

I still put them down early though, because sometimes they do go right out, or fall asleep at 8 pm.

Michelle

19. chellestwins2005

chellestwins2005 Well-Known Member

My girls turned 2 in October. They have always been wonderful sleepers. They go to bed at 7:30pm and wake up around 7:30am. We are very blessed in that department. We have a routine, bath, book, bed. It has always stuck from when they were babies and we used to do Bath, bottle bed. They also sleep 2 hours everyday from 1pm-3pm. I know my days are numbered with this nap time. I will be sad when they don't take naps anymore.

20. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest DD went to bed at 8:00 when she was 2, she was generally asleep by 8:15-8:30.

21. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

Josh will be 2 on NYE and he goes anywhere between 7:30 & 8:30 (it depends on what kind of nap he got that day and whats going on etc).
    He sometimes only takes 10 min to fall asleep and others he takes about 30 min to get to sleep of talking and laughing.

22. herself

herself Well-Known Member

my boys go to bed between 7 and 7:30. they usually fall asleep within 1/2 hour.

23. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

My kids are almost 2 and they're in bed between 8:30-9PM and (luckily) they often fall asleep quickly. Wake up time is between 7-8AM

thea