what to wear during hospital stay post c-section?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dwerling, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dwerling

dwerling Member

I'm trying to pack my hospital bag, but am stumped. This could win the silliest question of the day award, but for some reason I can't figure out what to do. :)

For those moms who had c-sections, did you wear your own nightgown or pjs (top/bottoms) when in the hospital? Or just use the gown the hospital gives you? If you wore your own, do you recommend a certain type that makes the post-surgery and nursing easiest?

I didn't have a c-section the first go round, but since it was a difficult post-delivery I only wore the hospital gowns while I was there since I wasn't up for visitors at the time. And it made it easy to nurse.

Thanks!

2. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

I wore 2 of the hospital "night-gowns/johnny-shirts"...one the regular way (i.e. with butt showing) and one as a house coat (to cover up the butt). Honestly, that's all I could manage.

3. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I wore my own pajamas. I wore lose bottoms and top to make nursing easier. I hate those gowns.

4. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

i never had a section but when i was in the hospital i wore my PJ pants from home and a nursing tank top under the hospital gown that way i could nurse easliy but i was covered if we had visiters the gowns have nursing holes and i did not want to give my family a peep show :)

5. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

Wear anything you feel comfy in! I brought pj's and even some of DH's gym shorts (he's a big guy, so it worked!). As far as tops, I would maybe just do a loose fitting t-shirt or maybe a button up.

6. aodom

aodom Member

I wore the hospital gowns mostly b/c I didn't want the bleeding to ruin my clothes. I also wore black pj/lounge pants some.

Allison

7. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

I wore a nursing tank under the hospital gown while in bed. That way I could just pull the gown off my shoulders and nurse modestly. Then I did like pp and put another hospital gown on backwards like as a robe to cover my bum when getting out of bed. I also didn't want to get blood all over my own stuff or take home any dirty laundry bc I definately didn't feel like washing clothes when I got home. I did take the stretchy-est maternity pants I owned to wear home. I snagged as many of those stretchy hospital panties as I could. I also had to stop at target on the way home from the hospital and buy granny-panties bc all I owned were bikinis and I knew I would not want to have them rubbing my incision site for a long while.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I only wore the hospital gown while I was there for 5 days. I didnt feel like dressing into anything else and it had snaps for easy access for pumping.

9. waitingpaitently20

waitingpaitently20 Well-Known Member

I brought a ton of comfy clothes thinking I was going to change into them. I never even touched my bag other than for underwear and my own pads. All I wore were the hosptial gowns and one nursing night gown that my mother bought me. The nursing night gown was nice since I felt a little more put together other than wearing the hospital gown, but not necessary if you do not want to spend the money. The time goes by so fast and you are so out of it that you really do not care what you are wearing. The less you bring the less to pack up, since you will already have a ton of stuff from the babies to pack. hope this helps

10. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

My sister got me a nursing nightgown. It was so comfortable.

11. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

I took 3 outfits but ended up wearing the hospital gown and my own robe and slippers.

12. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I wore P.J.s and later changed into regular clothes to go and see the babies in Special care. You will still be the same size you are now (I did have a mom who thought after the babies were born that she'd be immediately smaller...) I loved my "Croc" knock-offs since they are easy to wash and better to walk around than regular slippers. I also had a nice housecoat to wear over the P.J.s. I went through a ton of maternity pads. Not as many breast pads.

Also remember that babies don't like strong smells so I didn't bring the strong perfume, or soaps. I also had some personal wipes which I liked for a quick clean-up after a nap.

Bring a pen and possibly a journal so you can write down your birth experience (yes even for your c-section), and the babies weights, any equipment they had and when they came off it, who came to visit when, when
    you pumped or expressed....

Phone cards are also a good idea for long distance phone calls.

Heather

13. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I had a gown specially made by someone at Etsy - pm me if you want the information on her. She did a great job!

I also wore the hospital gowns, but the holes for nursing didn't work for tandem nursing as they weren't spaced far enough apart and wouldn't allow me access to both breasts. As a result, whenever I wore a hospital gown it was just draped over me from the waist down and I felt very exposed. My custom gown got dirty really quickly (I bled so much they were talking transfusion) and nobody was able to wash it for me for the rest of my hospital stay. My mom saved me by bringing me a button-down nightgown.

I wouldn't recommend anything with pants due to bleeding, soreness, and the doctors and nurses need to take a look at your incision and private bits frequently.

14. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I brought a ton of clothes, I didn't end up wearing any of them, I didn't want to ruin them, plus I was on magnesium so I didn't care much.

It's funny I was just talking about this to my husband...I warned anyone that was coming to visit that I would be nursing, so if it made them uncomfortable, not to come....I figured I'd be using a nursing tank.

Well, the boys had a hard time, (we were supplementing using syringes and bottles around my neck and tubing so nursing was a 3 person job and the tank would have been in the way) I was basically naked from the waist up the entire time! (not what I was expecting)

I didn't care! It was the strangest thing, I'm not really modest, but not an exhibitionist either...I think back to it now and almost get embarrassed that i was so free...everyone from my friends, family, inlaws, kitchen staff, housekeeping got a peep show! LOL! Although I have to admit it was wonderful to be so free and not care!

Wow, I went off on a tagent didn't I....I guess to FINALLY answer your question, bring loose fitting clothes you won't mind getting ruined, but remember it's all about comfort, and hopefully you won't be there long!

PS-I can't believe I"m saying this....I loved their mesh underwear!!!! LOL!

15. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I wore the hospital gown for the first 3 nights then put on my really loose high waisted sweat pants and a nursing tank. The really BIG thing no one told me was that my bikini underwear (bikini briefs) would hit at EXACTLY the same spot as my incision. Luckily I had some high waisted briefs at home! I wore the hospital "underwear" the entire time I was there.

16. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I had some maternity capri pjs that were extra loose and comfy. I also had a coulple nursing tank tops that I lived in until I stopped nursing at 6 weeks. The support was great. The first couple of days in the hospital, I wore a nursing nightgown. I realized I needed the support of the nursing tanks and felt better in real clothes, especially when we had visitors. I also had a maternity zip up sweatshirt that was great when I'd get cold or wanted to cover up with company.

17. becky5

becky5 Guest

I wore the hospital gowns. Very comfortable, gave easy access for nursing, and I didn't have to wash them!

18. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 5 2009, 08:36 PM) [snapback]1216207[/snapback]
    I only wore the hospital gown while I was there for 5 days. I didnt feel like dressing into anything else and it had snaps for easy access for pumping.

Yep, only hospital gown here!

19. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

They check your incision CONSTANTLY, so you'll want to initially stay in the gown, but take comfortable nursing tops etc. for when it's Ok to do so. I think I just talked to the nurses about it at some point.....really fuzzy memories from my drug induced time!! :lol:

20. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Bring a pen and possibly a journal so you can write down your birth experience (yes even for your c-section), and the babies weights, any equipment they had and when they came off it, who came to visit when, when
    you pumped or expressed....

THIS IS A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!

21. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I just wore the hospital gown. It was comfortable and made pumping easy (babie swere in the NICU, so I had to pump.). Also, wore a second one, turned the other way when I walked down to see the babies. I did put on anything else until the day I came home.

22. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't read it all so I apologize if I repeat someone.

I wear the hospital gown for the first day, and once I can get up and shower the next day I change into big comfy pj pants, nursing bra and a tank top or loose t-shirt. Oh and my own underwear, I HATE those mesh things! And my own pads! :D

As for bleeding, once you are up and moving, it's no worse than a heavy period, I use my regular pads and just change them frequently. I did dribble some blood on the back of my underwear a few times because of standing up really slow off the potty, but I made sure it was throw away undies I took with me to wear! ;)

23. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caryanne07 @ Mar 5 2009, 04:48 PM) [snapback]1216052[/snapback]
    I wore 2 of the hospital "night-gowns/johnny-shirts"...one the regular way (i.e. with butt showing) and one as a house coat (to cover up the butt). Honestly, that's all I could manage.

thats what i did too. like another pp said, i also loved the mesh undies. Ask the nurse for some extras to take home (they are also very easy to wash) - those were a life saver for me since I did not heal well and went home with staples. GL!

24. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just wore the hospital gown, I brought slippers, jogging pants and a baggy shirt to go home in. To the poster who suggested to bring a journal, that is a great idea!