What TV shows are off limits?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by sghaley, Jul 29, 2010.

1. sghaley

sghaley Well-Known Member

My b/g twins are 6 and are also becoming less interested in some of the shows they have watched. There are shows that I know some people let their 6 year olds watch that I don't know anything about so I'm not sure if I want mine to watch. Do you have any shows that are off limits and why? Ones that come to mind are Jimmy Neutron (cute, but use insulting words alot) and Kick Buttowski. I don't let them watch Spongebob, but haven't watched it myself recently to see if I'd be more willing now that they are older.

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I try to avoid shows that display habits that I'm not willing to have to break. So we don't so SpongeBob or really any of the Nickeldeon shows. We still do lots of Nick Jr, Disney Channel and PBS.

3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Spongebob comes to mind. It's just grating on my ears. They've never been allowed to watch him. Dora also tended to grate, but I tolerated that one sometimes. They haven't watched Shrek or Madagascar either because of the rude jokes. I can't think of any others, but I'm sure by the end of this thread I'll remember some more.

Marissa

4. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Mine are almost 10, and there are only a few shows that are outright outlawed in our house (and requested that they don't watch elsewhere). The first would be any season of Suite Life of Zach and Cody. Their behavior is atrocious (?sp) and the girls tend to connect with characters that are twins. I would prefer that they don't watch Spongebob, because I can't stand it.

We tend to stick with PBS, PBS Sprout, and Nick Jr, in addition to grown up shows on Food Network and Discovery.

When my oldest was younger I had to ban Rugrats, because she was in K, 1st grade and still acting like one of the babies on the cartoon. We put a stop to that ASAP!!!

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Spongebob (I just hate this show!) is the main one for our 6 year old - but we also don't offer new show choices either, we just skip right over the unfamiliar (to us) shows. He's still content watching Backyardigans, Mystery Hunters (a really cool show), Scooby Doo, and any of the Superhero cartoons (Wolverine, Spidey, Batman, etc.), so we are in no hurry to introduce him to other cartoons. :) He also likes Looney Tunes.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have never let any of my kids watch Spongebob. For my 9 year old I don't let her watch "The Suite Life on Deck" on anything on Teen Nick. I even make her change the channel if she is watching a show like Full House on Nick in the morning and a commercial for teen nick comes on. That Degrassi show has some really awful commercials for it.

7. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

The only shows not allowed here, are ones like The Simpsons and Family Guy. Most other shows are allowed. My kids do not seem to imitate any characters or anything, so I don't really worry about that. Mostly inappropriate content. They know they have to ask to watch certain shows on Cartoon Network, and they can't watch Teen Nick at night. Degrassi seems to be a little too mature for my kids right now (but seems to address issues I want my children to know about). Right now some favorites are Full House, Americas Funniest Home Videos, and Wipeout. My almost 5 year old is with them a lot and she watches the same stuff. If it isn't suitable for her, they all can't watch it. But I find Peyton is a very mature child. She prefers not animated shows to cartoons. It really depends on your children. Sit and watch and episode of Spongebob or whatever. It's really funny and he's just such a goofy character. I mean we all grew up on Looney Toons (which my kids still love!) and such and we aren't running around trying to blow up everyone with Acme TNT.

2 people like this.
  8. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I'm with Heather 100 %!

9. whosermomma

whosermomma Well-Known Member

This is how I think.

Luckily, we only get 3 channels where I live...But, The Simpsons and Family Guy are definitely out. They watch a lot of Disney movies and I don't mind Spongebob. We have the whole collection. lol

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Mine are five, and we have just started to allow Spongebob at our house this summer. We don't watch any of the Nick or Disney shows that have young teens, so Hannah Montana, iCarly, Suite Life, etc. I just think the topics are too mature for them and the kids often act very bratty. Maybe in a couple years I will think differently.

11. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just sticking my nose in to say I've been catching a few of the popular shows as research for work. I like to know what's going on man.... and the Selena Gomez character on Wizards of Waverly Place? What a snotty witch! (and I mean that with a B) I know "it all works out in the end" but wow. But then, its good to see a DeLuise get work.

12. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

See, now I LOVE her character! I think she's funny and goofy. I love the way she always gets one over on her brother and how she's so flip about things. So truly care-free. Love it.

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Only really sponge bob. We have beeen trying to get away from dora as the girls have kinda out grown her

14. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

We are HUGE Wizards of Waverly Place fans! Even DH will sit and watch this one with us!

15. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I agree with Heather, too. My older two didn't watch the older kid shows until they were in probably 1st/2nd grade but the younger ones have been watching by default. Degrassi is a big no so far, just because it's a bit too "in your face" about some of those hard topics. Other shows that use the topics a bit more discreetly are fine. We talk a lot about what they see and how most of it is fake anyway and none of my kids have picked up bad habits from what they have seen.

16. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

We actually like Spongebob here. No Degrassi or Family guy!

17. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

See that's where my problem with the show lies. I can't stand the show, and I have watched it. Its not that its wrong or anything, I just can't stomach it. I didn't like it the first time I saw it and unfortunately my opinion of the show wasn't improved when I sat in the ER multiple times and had no choice but to watch it. :pardon:

I even let them watch the Jonas brothers and those boys are a problem in our house.....especially since on is a Nick Jonas 'fan' and one is a Justin Beiber 'fan'....believe me that is NOT a fight you want to get in the middle of. LOL :popcorn:

I agree with Heather to a point...Looney Tunes are no more or less harmful than todays cartoons. The live action ones, on the other hand deal with things that I'm not sure my girls are ready for, and often if they watch I'm right there with them (grinning and bearing some of the shows, as I'm just not into teen girl stuff....)

18. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

One that I don't really care for is Max and Ruby. My son loves this show but I don't understand how there are never any parents. Max does whatever he wants and ruby is a snotty bossy thing. I can't stand listening to it and I am not sure what they were thinking when they wrote the stories. Other than that my son really likes the brother bear movies but that is also where he learned to say shut up so that didn't impress me much either. Most of the disney movies have questionable language in them at times. What ever happend to the phrase if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all?? There seems to be a lot of name calling in those movies :(

19. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I haven't really had to make any shows off limits. My boys watch hardly any tv .. and when they do, it's usually Phineas and Ferb. They're not into watching cartoons much but they love movies like Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

20. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine watch Nickelodeon and Disney shows. I do turn the sound down when Degrassi commercials come on (geez...worse than a soap opera commercial!). I don't let them watch cartoon network after 9. They love Wizards of Waverly Place and its a happy family show usually with a good ending. Spongebob has been a favorite around here, although I do understand why some ban it. iCarly is another favorite here. They all love Hannah Montana too. The only two shows my kids know I will turn off when I come in the room is Hip Hop Harry (that show drives me insane) and Yo Gabba Gabba. I think they are outgrowing wanting to watch them anyway. I do love that they LOVE The Brady Bunch and Full House though....

21. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Just Family Guy and Simpsons. I feel those are more 15 + cartoons.

Howwever our house would crumble without iCarly. She is Zoe's favorite person in the worl (well Sam is). The only I don't like on there is when they say Shiz, but I say alot worse LOL. I hate :headbang: Spongebob, the laugh drives me nuts. But the girls watch him so as long as I am off somewhere else Spongebob can be on.

22. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We don't watch SpongeBob, or Kick Buttowski - (the older brother talks too snotty!) We don't do the teenaged shows. But have seen some Hannah Montana etc. at our local fro-yo!

We LOVE Phineas and Ferb. I like it, too! The boys are creative and not trying to "get away" with something. It's a good one!!

23. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

They aren't up late enough for family guy so no worries, LOL

They LOVE The Suite life, icarly, Good Luck Charlie and all of those. Spongebob is a fave as wel. Ben10 is Jack's favorite and Johnny Test is Zack's fave. Katie's fave is Phineas and Ferb.

24. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

We purposely only have basic cable here which means no Nick Jr, disney channel or cartoon network. Just PBS, Discovery Channel, and regular network shows here.

25. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

We're too broke for cable, but we used to have it and I'd never let the boys watch Spongebob because it was just too...hyper or something.

Well, this very week we got Netflix streaming through our PS3 and it is awesome - and I noticed Spongebob on there. I thought, they are 5, they are in K, I think it's fine they check an episode out. Well, of course it was all about someone telling Spongebob "I'm gonna kick your butt." So my kids don't know that phrase, in fact I hate the word butt. So here I am letting them watch a show where they literally said the phrase "kick your butt" about 3 dozen times. :rolleyes: That's what I get for letting my guard down. :rotflmbo:

But my boys have seen all the Star Wars movies (the old ones are favorites), but in general I check up on movies before we see them. I usually use commonsensemedia.org as a reference before renting something.