What type of appliance do you use to make your own baby food?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sheras2, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Do you use something specifically marketed for baby food?Or a food processor or chopper for general kitchen use. I don't have either and am looking for recommendations. I may add one to my wish list for Christmas this year.

2. amymarie3

amymarie3 Well-Known Member

I use the magic bullet for mine. I also use THESE silicone ice cube trays. They work great. I puree the food with the magic bullet then freeze it in the trays. Once frozen I empty the tray into freezer bags, each square is one ounce. Each day I take out squares for the next days meals. The only thing that I have found is that I have rerun some foods through the magic bullet after it is thawed out, for some reason the consistency changes and the boys don't like it if it isn't super smooth.

I also use glass finger bowls similar to THESEfrom Target. The ones I get at Target come in a set of 3 and have lids. I love them because the heavy glass doesn't stain with the orange foods.

3. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I have something almost like this
    http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KHB300WH-Hand-Blender-White/dp/B00008GSAB/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1286908710&sr=1-5
    Mine is a Braun and came with a couple of more attachments. I bought it to make baby food in the small food processor attachment, but use it almost everyday! for a whole host of other things. Best appliance I've ever bought.

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I also just used a hand blender (like the one Melissa linked). To start off with, when I wanted things really smooth, I used the hand blender part straight into the pan I'd cooked the food in. Once I wanted a bit more texture I used the small food processor attachment, that chops slower so you can leave some small lumps.

I also froze things in ice cube trays to start with (silicone is much easier to get the food out once it's frozen) and then, once they got older and needed bigger portions, I switched to freezing in small food pots (like lock and lock).

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I use a cuisine art hand blender like the one Melissa posted. I got it as a shower gift and made smoothies every day while I was pregnant, then I used it for baby food, now I use it for a LOT of other things. It's one of the best kitchen gifts I have ever got.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I use a food processor and hand chopper to cut up and a plain old cheap-o blender to puree. I also bought some baby food trays with lids that are portioned to 1 oz. If you don't mind not being exact, you could use ice cube trays.

7. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I use a food processor, and I LOVE my food mill for peas and green beans. If I weren't on my phone, I'd send you the link.