What was I thinking? Birthday play date...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Leighann, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls are turning 7 (ahhhh!) on Monday. Last year we didn't have a party and instead took them on a little trip. This year I was going to forgo a party because I'm only working part time and we are trying to not spend any money. But then the girls were feeling sad about it, so I agreed to host a play date on Saturday.

I let them choose 3 friends each to invite, but then I knew there were other girls that they love to play with (and whose moms I like to hang with), so I added a bunch of people to the guest list. So now I'm hosting like 15 kids plus a handful of siblings and moms on Saturday, my dh is out of town (which is probably a good thing because he just loves to roll his eyes at how I create my own chaos), and the weather may or may not be conducive to playing outside for part of it. It will all be fine, and I have several indoor games and activities if I can't throw them out to the backyard, and the girls are thrilled to have a play date "party." But this is so like me to start out with an idea for something simple and then create a bigger thing all on my own, and then get all overwhelmed by what I created. Silly.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Don't stress.  As kids get older, it is so much easier for them to entertain themselves.  They will have a blast no matter what you plan or don't plan.

2 people like this.
  3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds like a fun birthday party. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Leighann

Thank you so much for saying that! It's amazing how different it is now that they are older. I will have two crafts (including decorating their own cupcake- so I don't have to do it ;)), a two games at the ready in case there is a lull or they start to get a little crazy. Otherwise I will follow their lead and it looks like maybe they will be able to play outside after all!

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:laughing: The original post made me laugh! I do the same thing. It's like I either do nothing, or I overwhelm myself. There's no in between. 

2 crafts should be plenty for 7 year olds! They'll probably just play the whole time.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. Leighann

Exactly Aimee! I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have totally found myself in the same situation before!! But like everyone else said, it will work out just great. A few snacks, some activities in case they need some direction. You're all set! Perfect way to "plan" a party though. They'll have a great time!

1 person likes this.
  8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do the same thing too!!  You do better than me though, i seriously don't ever have party games, I invite friends/family/kids over and let them go! LOL  It's always better if they can play outside, so *fingerscrossed* you can kick them all out there ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Leighann

Birthday play date was a success! In the end there were 16 kids, which included 3 little sisters who were all 2 years old. Thank god for my sister who helped immensely, and the moms who stayed who also helped a lot, and then my sister in law who couldn't come until late, but ended up staying and helping me clean up With everyone's help the kids had fun, the moms had a nice time, and I wasn't a crazy person after 2 hours!

And the weather was gorgeous and all the kids brought snow pants so they could make snow castles with the sand toys outside in the 50 degree weather. But most of all, my girlies had a wonderful birthday party, even if I refused to call it a party

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Sounds fantastic!