What was your favourite potty training resource?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Rollergiraffe, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have no more patience for diapers. What is your favorite potty training method or book?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I liked No More Diapers for Ducky book and Potty Power DVD.

For my son, I used the 3 day potty training program by Lara Jensen, I did not use it on my daughter because she did not need it. But my son gave us a hard time about being trained, it really was a power struggle with him. He was not PT-ed in the 3 days but within 4 days he went from a kid who would not use the potty (and would only pee and pop during nap and bedtime) to using the potty almost exclusively. We had him completely day trained within 2-3 weeks (this included staying dry at nap time) and he was dry at night a month or two later.
    My daughter was much easier to train, I used pull ups with her and once she started going in the potty, she just didn't look back.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

The No Cry Potty Training Solution.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

3 day training method. All three of the kids had great success, and within a total of two weeks, we're fully potty trained. I never once used pullups or diapers once we started.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls loved the Potty Power DVD too. We took it out from the library. 2+ years later and they still sing the songs from it. Another great "resource" was a mouthy 5 year out at the park who said to my girls "Are you wearing DIAPERS?! Are you BABIES?!" Nothing like a little peer pressure/public shaming to get them on board to train.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This along with some of the 3 day training principles. I have a copy of the book - I'll bring it tonight.

7. Rollergiraffe

Awesome! :thanks:

8. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Honestly, the women at the day care my boys went to. And their advice was to just skip the training pants and put them in underwear. They had a couple accidents and that was it. They were trained in less than a week. I know I got off easy, though!

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The "Momma gonna smack you if you don't potty train SOON!!!!" method.

Bahahahahah! :p I honestly used no method, just instinct with all 4 kids. Rylee was trained within a few days. Liam is still in training, he has a few accidents a day, but last time I tried he was peeing right through 10+ pairs of underwear a day even after several weeks. This time he's dribbling in his undies before running to the bathroom. It's a start ;) At least he's been poop trained for a couple months now, just gotta get the pee thing down.

I use a combo of m&m's for rewards, then sticker charts, then toys. M&M's when we first start, sticker charts when they get better at going, toys when they are consistent. So far I'm 3 out of 4 kids!

10. Rollergiraffe

Yeah, incentives have not been working for us, no matter how good. Or at least i haven't found their currency yet. Now that we're finally getting over the rain and can get outside more I think I might try taking diapers away and see how that goes. They are on a pretty regular poop schedule so it should be pretty easy to get them on the potty in the morning for that, and we'll figure it out. I am not going to start until after our vacation, but I want to have a plan in place.

11. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

A trip to the beach where they spent most of their time naked or in swim trunks did wonders for us. They started peeing on the toilet like madmen that week, so when we got back home I removed their diapers and all shorts and underwear (because they would pee in their underwear) and they spent the next 2 or 3 days naked from the waist down. And the following 30 days they went everywhere commando (shorts but no undies), started wearing underwear in time for preschool in August.

12. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

We did the 3 day "method" too. Staying close to the pottys, lots of drinking (them, not me :D), tons of praise and m&m's don't hurt either. The first day we let them run around w/ no underwear on, 2nd day we had them put the unders on and than the 3rd day was w/ clothes.

We tried when they were a little over 2.5 but they just didn't seem to get it. Tried again when they were just about 3 and it just clicked for both.

Now this night training business is a whole nother ball game! sigh.