What would you do based on these facts? Vaginal or C-Section?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jb35sport, Jun 6, 2009.

1. jb35sport

jb35sport Active Member

My wife wanted me to make a post asking for others opinions.........

Baby A has been vertex, while Baby B has been transverse (hip to hip) virtually the entire pregnancy.

She is currently 34.3 weeks along as of today so it won't be long whether we deliver vaginally or c-section.

Many of the OBs at her clinic say if both babies aren't vertex, they wish to deliver via c-section out of comfort.

However, one of the OBs says theres a good possibility that both babies could be delivered vaginally if they stay vertex/transverse.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

What would you do?

We prefer vaginal birth but would hate to have one vaginally and one via c-section.......

Any insight or experience is welcomed.

~J

2. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

Around here, they will attempt delivery so long as Baby A is vertex, they aren't as concerned with what position Baby B is in. Once Baby A is out, there is more room, so Baby B can change position into just about anything.

I'd prefer a vaginal birth as well, and would really hate to have to deliver both ways (ouch!) My thinking though is that if I don't at least try(assuming Baby A will be vertex when the time comes), then I'll be disappointed with agreeing to a section.

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

My dr had always said to me that once baby a comes out, baby b could turn and make it more difficult to come out so I went with a c section. After reading here I have learned that many drs. were still comfortable delivering vaginal.

4. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Up until my 34 week appointment I had one vertex and one breech (lucky me she finally turned vertex too) however, I too REALLY wanted a vaginal birth and my doctor was comfortable allowing me to try so long as that first baby stayed head down.
    After the first baby comes out, like others say there is SO MUCH room in there baby B could do acrobatics -- even if she would have flipped I would have been fine delivering baby B breech.
    The first baby " paves the way" so to speak for the second baby. If anyting your wife will push while the doctor reaches up there, grabs baby b by the ankles and pulls them out!

If your doctor is willing to let you try vaginally I think you should go for it. Worst case scenario is like you said one of each but thats a rareity. Another thought to think about, even if you do get to delivery just one baby vaginally there are immesurable advantages for that baby. Having fluid expelled through the lungs from being squeezed through the birth canal is just one.

5. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My doctor always said she would deliver vaginally as long as A was head down, and B wasn't estimated to be more than 2lbs heavier than A. She didn't care about the position of baby B.

My baby A was head down the entire pregnancy. B flipped from vertex to breech at around 26-30 weeks and never flipped back, not even after A was out. So he ended up being born by breech extraction feet first 4 minutes after his sister. Very uneventful.

I am very happy I was able to deliver them vaginally and happy to have a doctor and hospital who are extremely keen on vaginal twin births and still teach breech extractions.

6. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We had A vertex and B breech and our peri advocated for a vaginal birth. We ended up having a c-section because of a maternal complication but we were definitely trying for vaginal. Since then I've had two VBACs with 9 1/2 lb babies. Having birthed both ways, I would "risk" that really small chance of delivering both ways for the chance to deliver vaginally since it's better for the babies and better for mom. I don't have easy births by any means (c-section then 48 hour induced labor then 24 hour induced labor) but the recovery of a vaginal birth versus a c-section is so so so much better. It's totally worth it.

7. lorileahb

lorileahb Well-Known Member

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. If there is even a chance Baby B's birth would be slowed down or even an additional few seconds of oxygen deprivation, I'd go with a c-section. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for major surgery - I just want them both to get here safely. With DS, I had to push for two hours (almost 15" head) and the recovery was not something that I would want to repeat... including several long-lasting effects <_< . Of course, I know surgery comes with issues all of its own. Pregnancy and labor amaze me - I know are bodies are designed to do this, but I was so surprised at the real toll it takes for the rest of a woman's life! Kind of like breastfeeding - before DS, I just thought it would be something natural and easy. :rotflmbo:

I would go with whatever makes you two feel most comfortable! Congrats on being so close to the end. :banana:

8. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

You should have a very honest conversation with your doctor about how experienced he or she and the other doctors in the practice are with breech deliveries. A breech delivery is really more complicated than the doctor just sticking his or her hand in there and pulling the baby out by the feet. There are a series of very precise twists and turns the doctor must make with the baby in order to get him/her out successfully. You don't want an inexperienced doctor or a nervous doctor doing a breech delivery. Also keep in mind that the one doctor you mention who would seem to prefer the vaginal delivery may not be on call the night you go into labor. You can't always count on getting the doctor you want when the time comes. I'm not advocating for a c-section, mind you (I believe vaginal is the way to go if your doctors can do it), but you should be fully informed of the risks and be completely comfortable with your doctors' level of expertise before rejecting the c-section option.

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had my girls vaginally with Twin A vertex and twin B transverse. While I was pushing Sydney out, there was a doctor trying to help Dani turn in the right direction. Didn't work, so she wound up being pulled out by her feet.

10. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I delivered both vaginally with B being breech. If there are no complications and your doctor is experienced, a vaginal delivery is better for mom and babies. GL with your decision :)

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I had a good c-section because my twin A was breech, but if he had been vertex (head first), I would have gone vaginal no questions asked. It is soo much better for the babies to come out that way. It's not bad to do a c-section, you get two healthy babies.

12. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

our boys are situated the same way and my dr says as long as baby a is head down, they will try to flip b when the time comes. The idea of having both vaginal & c-section is scary but i'm willing to try in hopes of them both being vaginal.

13. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

My story - I had two earlier births with quic recoveries, did NOT want a c-section. Went in to be induced at 38 weeks. Was told now A was head down, B was trasverse, had a 50/50 chance of being breach. I decided I had worried too much about baby B already. Had the c-section. I am dissapointed I did not get to say I had them vaginally (I am sure between my Dr and me, we would have been fine) but I am beyond thrilled I have two TOTALLY healthy babies who came home with me 2 days later. No regrets.
    Blessings on your decision.

14. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

In our case, baby A was head down and baby B was breech. I delivered vaginally and it went beautifully. Baby B flipped at the last minute for a head-first delivery.

15. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was vertex/breech and said "heck no!" to the possibility of having an emergency C-section after doing a vaginal birth and decided to just go for a c-section.

16. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I had this exact circumstance and totally went for the vaginal! It worked out wonderfully, dr. turned Baby B head down after Baby A was born.

I'd go for vaginal for sure!

17. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becasquared @ Jun 8 2009, 07:46 AM) [snapback]1345514[/snapback]
    I was vertex/breech and said "heck no!" to the possibility of having an emergency C-section after doing a vaginal birth and decided to just go for a c-section.

Pretty much me too! My Baby B was also showing up as close to 2 lb. different (which turned out very inaccurate, BTW - they were the exact same weight).

Doc had given me the choice of a c-section from my very first visit, which I kept saying no to. But on the day they were born, I was given the choice of induction or c-section, and I chose the c-section. I had heard so many times of inductions eventually leading to c-sections anyway, and I didn't want to risk an emergency c-section.

18. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think that statistically there is only like a 5% chance of having to have one vaginally and the other by section in that situation. I know my doctor had only seen it once in his career. That said, I think you've got great advice.

19. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were A vertex B transverse. I delivered both vaginally and 2 mins apart. My dr grabbed baby B's arm and pulled her down. They didn't even mention c-section to me. (Granted this was at 28wks).

20. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids were in the same position you describe and we elected to schedule a c-section. It was the policy at my OB's office that if Baby A delivered vaginally, but Baby B flipped breech, they would not try a breech extraction with the 2nd one. They would automatically do a c-section. With that said, we opted for a c-section. It may be rare, but I didn't want to have to recover from both. Good luck with your decision.