what's considered 'too much swaddleing?'

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by babymOmmax2, Apr 16, 2008.

1. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I read an article in the newspaper today that babies up to 3 months like to be swaddled almost on a 24/7 basis. Is this true? I swaddle my boys just for bed at night but I do notice they nap much better during the day when swaddled too. Any input? I know a lot of parents do so up until 8 months old but not on a constant basis correct?

2. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

Mine were kept swaddled almost all day. I only took them out to change them and let them stretch. My DD is quite the stretcher :yahoo:

They stopped wanting to be swaddled around 2.5 mos, they like to lay out and not be so confined. They will let you know when the swaddling has become too much. Otherwise keep doing it if it helps.

3. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

I keep mine swaddled all the time except for feedings. They sleep better! Though at first they don't always like it :)

4. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

The Miracle Blanket insert says no more than 8 hours at a stretch and no more than 10 hours in a 24 hour period. I think that's pretty conservative, but I do they they need time unswaddled to be able to learn to use their muscles and grow. It doesn't sound like you are over-doing it if you are swaddling for night and naps, but they have unswaddled time too. I haven't been swaddling for naps, but I am considering starting. I think there is no age/size limit on swaddling as long as they still seem content when you do it.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I only swaddled them at naps and nightime and once they started wiggling out at about 3-4 months, we went to sleep sacks at night if needed.

6. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

Mine were swaddled most of the time through probably 3 months, and then swaddled for nightime and naps through 6 months. those first several months they just really seemed to need it a LOT - they would get so agitated when unswaddled, and if we wrapped them up tight they were happy and calm. We've been totally off the swaddles for just a few weeks now. Our pedi said it's not true that it affects their muscle development, and to go ahead and keep swaddling for as long as we think they need it. We stopped because DD learned to roll back to tummy, and it's not safe for them to be swaddled on their tummy.

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have no need to swaddle ds-he is very laid back and just chills...my dd on the other hand is very high strung...she flails all over the place and wakes her self up. The other day I didnt swaddle her before bed and she was crying, my dh checked on her and said she looked like she was fighting ninja's:)