What's for dinner this week? President's Day edition

Discussion in 'General' started by cheezewhiz24, Feb 16, 2015.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I need help. I know that tonight I'm trying to make a roasted whole chicken for the first time, but otherwise I've got nothing.

What are you making this week?

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Wait. These people are expecting dinner again this week?!?  :faint:

:D

Mon- Goulash
    Tues- baked chicken breasts in some sort of marinade, wild rice, steamed veg
    Wed- baked fish, and something yet to be determined 
    Thur- leftovers
    Friday- seafood out maybe (Lent starts Wed so no meat on Fridays)

2 people like this.
  3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Roasted whole chicken is my favourite meal of all time. I did it last week and made the potatoes in the pan with it that soaked up all the fat, and then turned the whole thing into soup that we ate for the next few days. Great way to dispense of vegetables that are on their way out too.

I am so over cooking and all things domestic.. so salads? I will throw some pork tenderloin and chicken in the oven tonight and we'll pick our way through that for the week. I am also going to make chili and/or meatballs tonight and we'll have that for leftovers too. I am trying to institute Sunday roast dinners, so I'll pick out something for that. Maybe a pork roast, as I haven't done one in a long time.

4. cheezewhiz24

I'm trying the chicken for my husband who has been asking for it for some time. 

Ben's been (HA) asking for roast chicken for a while... I'm not sure I'll like it as I'm a big baby when it comes to meat on the bone. He wants to save the bones and make our own stock for soup. We'll see how this goes....

5. Rollergiraffe

Make him carve it and he can cut the breast off for you. Chicken soup afterward is easy.. bones, celery, carrots, bay leaf, salt, peppercorn, whatever other vegetables you have,  and water in the pot on low for as long as you can stand it. I carve my chicken up right away and throw the bones in the pot right after dinner until bedtime.

6. cheezewhiz24

Yes, he's going to have to cut it up for me. I found a recipe to make stock in the crockpot in 24 hours... I think the plan will be for me to do the prep of the veggies and he can dump the carcass in. So tomorrow we can have broccoli cheese soup with the stock. I think I'll like it better if the chicken flavor is secondary in the soup.

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Mm, roast chicken is my favorite! We do one almost every week. :)

Tonight is Anniversary Chicken (an easy and totally processed, awful for you meal), tomorrow is spicy pork loin with pan gravy and potatoes. That's as far as I've gotten in my mental planning. Paul wants fish tacos, so maybe that one day? I'm craving a good pasta dish as well.

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Yesterday - leftovers
    Today - goulash, made by my dad
    Tomorrow - leftovers (I totally miscalculated our weekend meals and we have tons of non-matching leftovers, maybe I'll make a big tortilla from all the leftovers)
    Thursday - baked rice
    Friday - some kind of vegetarian curry
    Saturday - I don't know yet, I sometimes let one of the kids chose a meal, help me shop for it and prepare it
    Sunday - potatoes, spinach and salmon (one of our favourite meals)

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yesterday was pork chops, butternut squash and salad.
    Today-chicken stir fry (chicken/vegetables)
    Tomorrow-will probably be salmon...also lent, so no meat on Fridays or Ash Wednesday
    Thursday-don't know yet
    Friday-some type of fish

10. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Monday was burritos
    Tuesday- fried chicken gizzards, biscuits, fruit, and salad
    Wednesday- homemade pizza
    Thursday-  bbq sandwiches, french fries
    Friday (we don't observe Lent, but it's what worked for the time I have) fish sticks, mac'n'cheese, pumpkin muffins, salad and fruit
    Sat. Ham with pineapple and brown sugar, biscuits, oven-roasted veggies
    Sunday- roast with banana peppers, potatoes, and carrots, rolls
    Monday- spaghetti

I plan everything at least a week in advance.  Timothy is allergic to dairy so everything is planned because sometimes I need alternative ingredients.  Timothy sometimes doesn't eat part of a meal.  It's usually something that he never like anyway, like mac'n'cheese.

Marissa

11. Rollergiraffe

Tonight is lentil soup. And I had a request the sweet potato/black bean salad I made last week.. pretty rare that I have repeat requests, so I am going for it! We'll have that later this week.

12. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Share both recipes, Jen! Nom.

13. Rollergiraffe