What's for lunch?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by deniseandtwins, Aug 6, 2008.

1. deniseandtwins

deniseandtwins Well-Known Member

What are you making for lunch today?

And if you already had lunch then what did you make?

I need inspiration!!

2. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

No idea! I need ideas, too......I always meal plan for dinners, but lunches I just draw a big blank.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Some turkey breast, a cheddar 'quesadilla' (just a burrito shell with cheese melted on it, folding in half and cut up), peas, and milk. Maybe a banana if they are still hungry.

4. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

egg salad sandwiches
    steamed carrots
    nectarines
    milk

ETA:
    QUOTE(naomi02 @ Aug 6 2008, 10:18 AM) [snapback]916947[/snapback]
    No idea! I need ideas, too......I always meal plan for dinners, but lunches I just draw a big blank.

I try to plan 'leftovers' into my meals. I'll make chicken, rice, and broccoli with white sauce for dinner one night, but make 2-3 times what we need for a single meal and make a casserole (or two) for the freezer with the leftovers and have a bit leftover for lunches the next day. I've always got an "oh crap" meal in the freezer, have to cook only 3-4 times a week and can have lunch on the table in 3 minutes flat.

5. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Leighann @ Aug 6 2008, 12:36 PM) [snapback]916992[/snapback]
    a cheddar 'quesadilla' (just a burrito shell with cheese melted on it, folding in half and cut up

We had quesadillas today, too. Although I put refried beans and a little pizza sauce on it today with the cheese for a little mix. And green beans and watermelon.

6. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

dh is feeding them chicken nuggets, apple sauce and some fresh fruit.

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Penne pasta with alfredo sauce (basically just mac-n-cheese)
    Pear pieces
    Pumpkin from a can

(everything starts with P. How funny)

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The kids had fish sticks, french fries and strawberries

9. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

We did leftover marinated grilled chicken from last night, mac-n-cheese and steamed broccoli :)

10. Annasmom

Annasmom Well-Known Member

DD had Morning Star Veggie Corndogs and leftover greenbeans from last night and a few chunks of cheese. We eat meat but these are more nutrious than the hotdog kind.

11. AriaGirl77

AriaGirl77 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Morning Star products! My girls love their spinach nuggets (like chicken nuggets but with spinach and cheese).

I usually try to give them a whole grain, veggie and fruit for lunch. Sometimes a dairy product, sometimes not.

Today they had:
    Bean Quesadilla with cheese
    Mixed veggies from a can
    Yogurt
    Apple Sauce

So many of us with the quesadillas!

12. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

The beebs had Annie's organic pasta with tomato sauce (from a can) today, with some green beans, cheese and a banana.

13. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

Mine had a grilled cheese sandwich, grapes, and some crackers. Quesadillas are big here to. So versatile and fast! I would love more lunch ideas too.
    Someone told me to try fried rice -rice, a few mixed veggies, an egg, a little sesame oil, and a little soy sauce. So I tried it w/ some leftover rice and they liked it. Shocked me. They also sometimes will eat pasta salad. This can be hit or miss though.

14. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

turkey (they love deli meat), carrot sticks, blueberries, string cheese

15. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

They had a smoothie with frozen berries, whole milk yogurt, banana, a little OJ, and some flaxseed meal with organic butternut sqush soup, couscous and shredded carrots. This is the easiest fastest thing I can make that they both love. For the soup, you heat it to a low boil with a few little shreds of carrot, then add couscous and let it sit five minutes. Makes the couscous stickier so they can feed themselves!

ETA: Oh yeah, they also had some organic blueberries we got to go out and pick on a farm yesterday with our visiting Grandma!

16. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We had bagels, grapes, milk oh, and a banana.

17. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

Grilled cheese, peas, grapes and a plum.

18. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

These are my usual lunches for them: a grilled sandwich of some sort (usually ham and chesse or turkey and cheese), applesauce, fresh fruit (cut up plum, peach, or a bananna) some goldfish crackers, a nutrigrain bar. Or they have veggie soup with crackers, tater tots, chicken nuggets or I make them a pizza. Mine can't have much dairy so I get limited at times.

19. kristy horner

kristy horner Well-Known Member

Today we'll do deli ham, grapes, crackers, steamed carrots, pasta shells and cheese Graduate meal, and milk.

20. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

We always do some combo of either grilled cheese, cheese quesadilla, or cream cheese and Jelly sandwiches along with some type of a berry or yogurt and finally some goldfish crackers or graham crackers. They also love cottage cheese and applesauce and organic cereal bars; however, I save those for snacks. We usually do a fruit with each meal but are pretty bad about doing veggies with lunch. They do love veggies but we seem to only do them with dinner. I guess it is because I never have veggies for lunch, it seems more dinnerish to me (if that makes any sense:)).

21. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

Today the girls will be having a chickpea/tomato dish that I made last night, some cucumber and blueberries or grapes (depends on what DH decides to give them).

Every lunch they get 1-2 servings of veggies and 1 fruit (or 1 applesauce). The "main meal" is usually one of the following:
    - hummus & whole wheat wrap
    - cream cheese and cucumber on a whole wheat wrap
    - chickpeas
    - cheese quesadilla
    - chicken (chicken breasts that I have cooked the night before)
    - eggs - they don't like them yet but I do keep on trying
    - rice cakes & cheese
    - cottage cheese
    - pasta (if they are having a lighter supper)

Actually, we are sort of at a loss for what they get for lunch so hopefully we will get more ideas from this thread.

22. dan&gab2007

dan&gab2007 Active Member

penne with broccoli, cauliflower and butter. Cantaloupe.

23. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

08/07 Meal:

Lunch:
    Ham/cheese quesadilla
    Mini rice cake w/cream cheese veggie spread (make it like a sandwich)
    Grapes

Snack:
    Rice pudding w/water

Dinner:
    Pork Chop w/grilled veggies

*I do make a weekly meal plan because it save so much time for trip to the grocery store.

D, w/Rianna and Justin

24. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

chicken and vegetable soup and saltine crackers (apple-grape juice, too)

25. sellet04

sellet04 Well-Known Member

I think I need to make meal plans, but I never make myself do it. Today we had to get the oil chande in our car so we went out for pizza, but tomorrow I am making home made chicken and noodles (DH has requested it). I have the noodles drying on the table so I won't have a lont of work tomorrow.

26. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

The weekends are always thrown off with meal planning. I tried to stay on track by writing some meals on Sunday for Mon-Fri plan because it does make my grocery list shorter and quicker. Sometimes, I get lazy because I have to keep looking up recipes or go on food network to find something 'new' to cook. My twins' love any kind of casserole.

Have fun making your meals!
    D, w/Rianna and Justin

27. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Those of you who feed your barely 1 yr old soup. Do they let you feed them? No way will mine. Those are some good ideas. Mine also eat lots of pastas with different sauces, always fresh fruit cut up like nectarines, kiwi, mango, banana, peach,watermelon, cantelope, honeydew, are the basics. We also do quesidillas, I always try to add meat(deli ham or chicken pieces) Grilled cheese. I have gotten some good ideas off of wholesome toddler food They have some ideas and some fast easy recipes. They also have a weekly menu sample. It is getting nicer and nicer that they can just eat what I eat.

28. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

yes, i spoon feed the soup....sometimes they don't want me to do it, and if i give them something they can pick up and feed themselves (like crackers), they will take the spoon in between "bites". other times, i just let them hold another spoon and that settles them down.

29. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AriaGirl77 @ Aug 6 2008, 03:19 PM) [snapback]917320[/snapback]
    I'm a big fan of Morning Star products! My girls love their spinach nuggets (like chicken nuggets but with spinach and cheese).

I usually try to give them a whole grain, veggie and fruit for lunch. Sometimes a dairy product, sometimes not.

Today they had:
    Bean Quesadilla with cheese
    Mixed veggies from a can
    Yogurt
    Apple Sauce

So many of us with the quesadillas!

where do you get morming star products from

30. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

We did nuggets and fries today with a banana but they never want the fruit... they will not eat a fruit... I don't get it!!

31. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

I get Morning Star at Trader Joe's. I know that my regular grocery store, out here it is Ralphs, sells them as well. My girls love the sausage links and sausage patties.

32. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

Today my girls had grill cheese, Peaches and a special treat a little bit of chips. We also do a ton of peanut butter and marshmellow fluff sandwiches. We always do fruit, and crackers.

33. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

You can find Morning Star products in the meatless breakfast area of my frozen food section at the regular grocery store.