What's going on with these girls!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kaie05, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

For about a month the girls have been sleeping through the night and on somewhat of a schedule during the day. Each one has their own schedule (they won't get on the same one) so I just go with each of their schedules and usually it's not a problem. Marleigh used to sleep a good 2-3 hours 2 times a day, Ryleigh would take 1 nap in the morning lasting about 1-1.5 hours and then one long afternoon nap. They would be up for about 1.2-2hours in between naps, and then they'd go down for the night between 8-930pm (all depended on what time we started the day). They were eating 4-5 ounces every 4 ounces, and this was pretty consistent. They very rarely needed to eat before 4 hours, and they sleep 12 hours at night (Well, Ryleigh consistently does but Marleigh sleeps 8 hours and then needs to eat). NOW, Ryleigh- since last Friday- needs to eat every 3 hours on the dot AND she's eating 6-7 ounces at a time!!!! Besides the fact that they eat Alimentum and they're eating me out of house and home, I don't know what her deal is! She's SUPER fussy too, and WILL NOT nap for the life of me.
    She will be up for two hours after her first bottle, then nap for 30-45 minutes and then be up for 2 hours and nap for maybe an hour and then be up until the evening. And sometimes when she does finally sleep she cries and fusses in her sleep. HELP ME! Marleigh has been asleep for 2 hours right now, but Im sure she's getting up soon. She's not as fussy and hard to take care of as Ryleigh either. Not every baby is perfect but I'm going insane trying to entertain these girls for all the time they're awake. I was going to take them out this afternoon but with not being able to tell when either of them will eat, I'm not going anywhere! They'll be 4 months this weekend, is there some type of extra long growth spurt that Ryleigh could be going through right now? PLEASE just tell me she will start napping, I'd like to shower and take off last weeks makeup at some point :cool:

2. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

If she's truly hungry, then maybe she's going through a growth spurt? Otherwise, my girls started to have napping issues around 4 months and we started CIO. I know some people think 4 months is too early for that, but it's the only way they would get a good nap.

3. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(laurenlantz @ Jun 30 2009, 01:35 PM) [snapback]1375724[/snapback]
    If she's truly hungry, then maybe she's going through a growth spurt? Otherwise, my girls started to have napping issues around 4 months and we started CIO. I know some people think 4 months is too early for that, but it's the only way they would get a good nap.

I don't know if I could do CIO while Im home by myself. DH doesn't come home until 6.

One thing I wanted to add, I dont know if she's truly hungry because she just fussed and fussed for 20 minutes and I finally gave in and gave her a bottle and she only ate 4 ounces. AGHHHHH.

4. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Hiya,

So sorry things are hard at the minute! Our girls came home from NICU on a 4hr schedule then at about 3mths they struggled to reach 3hrs and we are still every 3hrs to this day. 3/4 mths for me was hellish, they ate all the time and rarely napped for longer than an hr and nightsleep was very broken with 3 nighhtfeeds so maybe it is a development thing? Not sure but they are so much better than that now (touch wood) so it will get better. I always tried to keep mine on the same schedule, even if it meant waking one of them..that way i might just get a minute to sterilise and if i was really lucky make some tea or shower. Sorry i don't have much in the way of advice but i am pretty sure it's one of those cases where you just have to ride the wave and keep in mind that it will get better. Good luck, hope it gets better soon :hug:

5. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I just want to say I understand how you feel. Although I am not and have not dealt with the same issues you are having, I am currently dealing with a baby who refuses to sleep at night. Last night, she went to sleep at 7:30, was up at 8:30, 10:00, 12:30, 3:30-5:30 and up at 8:00. Meanwhile, my son sleeps 11 hours a night. Like you, I don't know what is going on. She isn't always hungry but is simply awake! Another time, I won't give her a bottle and then she is hungry and drinks 10 ounces. So, I am frustrated too, and I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Perhaps it's teething... but it could be so many things, eh? I wish they came with a manual;)

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Maybe it is a growth spurt. I'd give it a few more days and if it keeps up and you want to take a shower badly enough maybe you should consider CIO. If you know she's safe in her crib and you need a shower you gotta do what you gotta do.

7. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Jun 30 2009, 01:56 PM) [snapback]1375755[/snapback]
    Maybe it is a growth spurt. I'd give it a few more days and if it keeps up and you want to take a shower badly enough maybe you should consider CIO. If you know she's safe in her crib and you need a shower you gotta do what you gotta do.

How do I avoid her waking her sister up since they share a room if I do CIO?

8. Lindae73

Lindae73 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kaie05 @ Jun 30 2009, 02:04 PM) [snapback]1375768[/snapback]
    How do I avoid her waking her sister up since they share a room if I do CIO?

Hi there,
    Take it from me...I just went through this with my two! DH and DD were in separate rooms until I started CIO. They were about 5 months at the time.
    They actually sleep much better in the same room and have gotten use to each others crying. They do not nap in the same room. Night time sleep is different.
    I say get them use to each others crying now. 4 months is a little young in my opinion (to do CIO) but you know them better than I! :p Mine were ready at 5 1/2 months. Most experts agree that once they have slept through the night solidly for more than a few nights then they can handle CIO...usually around 6 month mark. They are now 7 months and doing pretty well...besides all the darn crying all the time! :rolleyes: Guess it comes with the territory! Good luck to you!

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hey i'm just jealous they've been napping so good for you! :D Mine cat nap, they are just noe giving me a good 1-2 hr nap in the late afternoon.

It could be they are just realizing that "Hey, there's more to this being born than sleeping!!" Mine get up at 9:30-10 and don't nap again until 11:30 or so, and then it's only 20-30 mins and then they are up again until after 2pm usually. Then they'll sometimes nap for 1-2 hrs after that bottle, or they'll cat nap again and then nap after their 4-5 bottle.

Everytime you get a good schedule going, someone's bound to mix it up! :D