What's your favorite part of being a twin mom?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TwinsInOkinawa, Nov 14, 2007.

1. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

You know, I never thought I would say this: I feel sorry for those who only have one baby! It's so much work having two, but something has happened this past week and I am having so much fun with two. Not to say things are perfect: naps are still a work in progress, sleeping at night is something else (we were up at 9:30, 1:30, 3:30, and 5:30 last night), and it's still hard taking care of two by myself all day. I was talking to a friend of mine who had a baby two weeks before mine and she was saying "I don't know how you do it with two" and it got me thinking . . .

1) I love nursing both of them and watching them hold hands
    2) I love walking out of the room only to come back and have them cooing at each other, sometimes chewing on the other ones' foot or leg or knee or head
    3) I love going into their room in the morning and get full body smiles from two babies
    4) I love the funny faces x 2 when we feed them something new
    5) I love that they will look at the other in concern when she is crying

Anyway, just thinking. I remember reading posts like this when I was about 2 weeks into it, struggling with breastfeeding, up every two hours (oh, wait, I'm still up every two hours! -- but then it'd take me an hour minimum, now I"m back in bed in less than 20 minutes), thinking how could this ever be fun. So, for those of you at that point -- it'll come!

:)

Erica

2. knorts

knorts Well-Known Member

Your post just gave me the goose bumps because I have been feeling exactly the same way. Looking back, the past 5.5 months have been a complete blur--and much like you--we are still feeding at night, not napping well, etc. BUT...none of that seems to bother me anymore now that they respond to me, DH and one another. It is actually FUN to be home with them all day and night and I find myself missing them when I am away more and more each day! I couldn't agree with you more--6 months for us has been the turing point!

3. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

You are so right! Around 5 or 6 months I realized just what a blessing these babies are!
    I love the way they encourage eachother -- for good and bad! -- Like when one baby is clapping the other baby will stop what she's doing to clap, too ("Oh, we're clapping now? Ok! Uh, what for?? Nevermind... Yayyyy!!!")
    Or when one baby does raspberries in the middle of a bite of sweet potatos, so the other decides that looks fun, too (Why oh why is it always a 'red' food, and never pears or bananas or something that doesn't stain??)

Having twins makes a person realize how love can never be divided, it just grows to fill the need!

4. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

This is so true. I was so scared when I first brought them home because I thought how will I ever love both of these little girls. It was so much work and they cried alot. Now they are so much fun and they are still alot of work, but it is fun work. First thing in the morning when they smile so big at me or at bed time when they are supposed to be asleep and they lay in the bed and talk to their paci(new habit that dd has started). Even during the middle of the night when they wake up and they smile at you(it is really hard then not to hug and kiss them). Or when they are laying in the floor and they suck on each others hands or grab the other ones paci. I think pretty much everything is my favorite part right now, but we haven't started teething yet or been sick :rolleyes:.

Missy

5. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

Everyone says i have no idea how you handle two... I am like you just do it and it is fun. Not a horrible thing at all... I have enjoyed my miracles from day one... every day their after has been a fun ride... Their smiles, love and laughter are why i breathe... I get home from work, wash my hands and get on the floor to see them and they turn to instant happiness once we meet eyes... I swear i told them this morning, thank you for choosing me as your mommy... You wont regret it i promise you... I love them with every inch of my being... Words will never express what i feel for them and i am so blessed to have finally been given the chance to be a mother...

Happy 6 months to your sweeties...

6. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this post.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

DH and I say this all the time "How boring if you only have one baby!" Seriously though, I think around 6 months it becomes easier in some ways having two as opposed to one. This is my completely biased opinion and given that I only have two babies, I really have no factual data to back up that claim... But at 6 months they were interacting with each other which meant I could leave them alone in a safe place and they would play while I peed!!! Oh the joy of not rushing thru peeing (sorry TMI!). And like a pp said they encourage each other. When Ana started rocking on her hands and knees Meara was watching her like "Hmmm, how is she doing that? I can do that!" And a couple of days later, they were both rocking. And I love when they see each other after naps. I'll bring them into the living room one at a time, and they look at each other and start giggling. Too cute! They also entertain each other early in the morning before mommy and daddy want to get up. From 6-7am its baby crib party! When I go to get that at 7 they are usually pressed up against the railings, holding hands thru the railings or just looking at each other. I love that and definitely need to break out the video camera one morning. Thanks for starting this thread because those in the trenches of those early months need to see this. -Leighann

8. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I am absolutely with you; I often feel badly for people who only have one baby, especially as I watch them on the floor together, or playing together, or standing n their offices (exersaucers) and watching two heads swivel as my sister's dog goes by, giving me a view of identical profiles with little upturned noses.

It's STILL difficult; I'm alone w/them during the day and they're teething and we've got our first colds and they're still getting up two or three times each night to feed and we have almost nightly massive reflux...and I wouldn't trade if for ANYthing. I want MORE of it; although I'm thrilled that they are growing and doing so well, I am so acutely aware that these baby days are flying by.

They turn EIGHT MONTHS in less than a week and I honestly don't know how that happened. When I walk away from them in their exersaucers, then turn around to play "Where's Mama?!" and their faces light up with these devastatingly beautiful grins......in the middle of the night when one settles on my shoulder after feeding....when they stare into each others' eyes and crack up while in high chairs....It's all so delicious.

AND - sometimes I don't know how I do it - but I couldnt' imagine it any other way.

9. Chrishelle

Chrishelle Well-Known Member

I love everything about being a twin Mom. Honestly!! I feel so blessed to have gotten 2 at one time. It melts my heart to see them giggle at each other, hold each others hands and just interact. It really is double the joys, love, smiles, giggles, fun and happiness. No, it's not always easy but I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

I never imagined myself as a Mom of twins and now I can't imagine not being one.

10. fluffhead

fluffhead Well-Known Member

This was such a great post to read :) I feel like we're in the trenches right now... I can't wait for this to get just a bit more fun ;)

11. sara b

sara b Well-Known Member

Thank you for your post. I feel like we are heading in that direction now. I love being a Mom to twins. However, the begining was deff a HUGE adjustment.