Whats your personality type?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kumphort, May 12, 2009.

1. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

I am the most non "type A" person, and wondering how I am going to handle things. I would think a control type person would whip her twins into shape have them on schedule and not be too fazed by the whole thing. On the other hand I wonder if being more laid back, like I am could be more beneficial because babies being babies dont always do things the way you want them to.

So what type of personality are you, and how do you think it affects your twin raising ability, and any tips for those people that just dont always have it together?

2. mamaleah

mamaleah Well-Known Member

I am VERY laid back, sometimes too laid back. I have 10 month old twins, a 2 year old and an almost 5 year old. If a "type A" personality saw my day they would probably break out in hives :lol: . My house is not always clean (it is clean-as the two things I can't deal with are a dirty bathroom or gross floors, just messy I have a lot of piles). My schedule is very loose, I nurse the boys on demand, I allowed the boys to fall into their own schedules, which are different from one another. I'm sure I hear sighs of disapproval, but it works for us. Having 2 other children beside the twins means I am needed all day, so it works to have my boys nap at different times, I can craft or play with my older kids and one awake baby, but with 2 it is just too crazy. I am strict about bedtimes my older 2 are in bed by 7:30 and wake at 7:30 the boys cluster feed at night and are usually asleep by 10 for the night waking at about 7. A good nights sleep means a happy agreeable day for Mom :D . I also insist that we all eat dinner together. I have a relaxed attitude about my day and it works for us, if I tried to be a scheduler it would stress me out, in turn stress my kids. Just remember your life is about to become chaotic no matter how organized and together you are, but forcing yourself into what you aren't will cause you more stress. It is trial and error- find what makes you the happiest and most comfartable and go with that. ;)
    Also I feel the need to mention, a laid back Mom doesn't mean chaos and crazy kids, my kids are well behaved, respectful, kind and they tend to adapt well to most situations. They are always clean and fed, it is just mommy that can't always manage to shower :rolleyes: .

3. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kumphort @ May 12 2009, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1310556[/snapback]
    I would think a control type person would whip her twins into shape have them on schedule and not be too fazed by the whole thing.

you couldn't be more wrong. i'm type A and this whole experience has been a challenge. on the one hand it means i'm accustomed to having lots of balls in the air and keeping track of them all. on the other hand, babies don't just whip into shape. babies do things on baby time. and you can't rationalize with them. i could show the boys the feeding schedule and explain how they're supposed to be eating solids at 9:00 but they just purse their lips and blow raspberries in their sweet potatoes. :lol:

i don't think either personality is "better." if you're too laid back you may lack the organizational skills that will help you keep your head above water. if you're too type A you'll have higher expectations than can be achieved.

the reality is it's not rocket science. as a species we're designed to succeed at child rearing. it's nature's way. so whatever your personality type you'll get through it swimmingly.

4. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I like organisation and routine and that´s what I have done for my babies and they seem to be thriving on the predictability of things. I know that I can´t have everything perfect and dont expect that. Im pretty laid-back but have certain views on parenting but I may find that Im too strict in the long-run! LOL! Having an idea of something then living the reality are often two different things, so Im keeping my options open!

5. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I'm also a pretty laid-back person. (Or maybe that's not the right term . . . more out-to-lunch?) Organizing physical things and times is definitely not my strength. (Now if you give me a sloppily-organized paper I can whip it into shape in no time.) But we manage pretty well. I certainly don't try to do very much, as that's not important to me and would just stress us out. At home things fall into a fairly predictable pattern without me having to do a lot of organizing or forcing. We keep the paths clear to the door in case of fire and bathe enough to avoid loathsome diseases. I discipline major moral and safety issues and let everything else go. My older kids are very independent and can keep themselves occupied happily for hours, and the twins are following right in their footsteps. You find the balance that works for you and your kids' personalities.

6. BostonBoys08

BostonBoys08 Member

I was pretty uptight when the twins first arrived. As a first time mom still in graduate school I must have looked absolutely stricken most of my pregnancy! Well, needless to say, they arrived...and I almost lost my mind. By the end of my maternity leave my inner hippy mom had emerged. We generally keep a routine but I don't keep mental tabs on it...I feed them when they are hungry and let them sleep when they seem tired. Over time I have grown confident that not worrying about the schedule works too!
    Now people see me at work and say I seem so relaxed....I tell them that nothing scares me anymore

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I think when you are a control type person, the first months are very hard b/c you have no control! I'm a very routine/schedule type person but am laid back about housework and clutter. By the end of the 4th month I HAD to get a schedule going so I didn't go crazy. Mind you, I used a schedule that the boys basically set, so I guess I'll have to say I'm an in between personality! :)

8. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

I'm a type "A" personality as well, however having twins has really changed me. I am now a lot more laid back -- I learned I had to be. All that matters is that we are all safe, healthy and happy. You can't stress or sweat the small stuff or you will drive yourself batty - and you'll regret not just enjoying the time with your little ones. Just remember this phrase when you are stressed about something and feel that you can't handle it -- "This is just a phase, this to will pass."