when can I stop worrying because they are "preemies"

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by bellawillawyatt, Mar 1, 2011.

1. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

Wyatt has a really bad cough, congestion and is now wheezing. We are going to the ped in an hour but my heart is hurting.My mind keeps going to how immature his lungs were at birth, 10 days on O2, 2 rounds of serfactin and that was after 2 doses of steriods before birth. My fear is PICU stay on a vent for RSV. At what age do we get to stop worrying every time they get a cold because RSV is so bad for preemies?

2. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel. But premature or fullterm babies do get sick. Its a part of life. However, premmies immune system isnt full develooped like fullterm baby's. So we just need to be a bit careful. My husband's nephew was born 40 weeks. He has been at 90-95% of weight and height all his life (hes almost 2). You would think hes super healthy right. nope, he got RSV 3 times before 18 months. And he was sick at thanksgiving and xmas parties. However, he is a big boy. My cousin was born at 7 months. My mom and aunt told me that she was as big as the water bottle. At that time, there was no NICU or anything. She survived. Now shes almost 40 and strong like a water buffalo lol even she is a petie. My twins were 32 weekers. I was so worried just like you. But last year when the RSV season hit us, they didnt get it. They are skinny but healthy. Our pedi said 'I wish all preemies could be as healthy as your babies'. I think when they started moving alot, their immune systems were impoved. they dont get sick more often anymore. When my son got stomach bug, everyone here and our pedi told be be prepare bc my girl would get it next week. Guess what she didnt. When my girl got a cold, my son didnt get it. Even they share everything. I have been sick (coughing) more than a month. they dont get anything. Hang in there! they will get better and less sick. Seriously i do believe if they workout more (move around lol), their bodies get stronger and healthier.

Oh and winter time, I always dress them bodysuites, sleeper/sweater pants and socks. I always put some vicks (my country tradtional herb med. its like vicks but all natural) under their feet and on their chests (we always do this for all babies in VN).

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

And for the cough and congestion, do u have air purifier and baby humidifier running in their room? We have air purifier and coolmist humidifier. But when they got cold and congested, I run warm humidifier and add vicks liquid in the water. It helps alot. You can buy waterless vicks too. But I think the one added in warm humidifier works better. Hope luck and get well soon! Ask your Pedi before use it though

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't think I stopped worrying about it until their 2 year well visit. Then it was like a weight was lifted! They were on the "normal" growth chart and we'd made it through 2 winters w/out anything serious. Are they getting rsv vaccines? The first winter our insurace paid for monthly preventative shots. Hope things go better than expected at the dr!! :grouphug:

5. bellawillawyatt

Well he has RSV. And an ear infection poor little man. So he did a breathing treatment in the office and after that his blood oxygen levels were 96% on room air so that was good news. Came home with an rx for antibiotics and an inhailer. Fingers crossed Willa Grace doesn't get it too.

as far as vicks I have known alot of people who do the bottom of the foot thing and swear by it but I am HIGHLY allergic to eucaliptis so Vicks is a big no no in our house. I do have a cool mist (elephant lol) in their room that runs all the time.

Their doctor said I can try and stop worrying now about them being preemies, they are nice and healthy and have had 3 rounds of shots but you know you still worry. He looked so pitiful laying in my lap with that mask on his face. Broke my heart but he smiled through the whole thing. He is such a good boy.

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So sorry to hear about the RSV:( We made it to 14 months when they got it (they were 34weekers) and I was ok with it. Broke my heart to do the nebulizer 4x a day in the beginning but the Dr assured us that since they were bigger it would have been way worse to have caught it their first winter when they were just born! Trust your Dr:)

7. bellawillawyatt

thats what our doc said. Wsquared are 34 weekers too. I am just glad if he had to get it it was now and not 3 or 4 months ago.