When can they shower independently?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nina3, Jul 28, 2008.

1. nina3

nina3 Well-Known Member

At what age was your child able to take a shower on his/her own?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

My boys have taken showers before with help. I can't imagine anyone between one and four years old who can shower by themselves. Maybe someone here has older kids...

3. nina3

nina3 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. My DD is 4 y/o and is currently in swimming lessons everyday. After swim, I've noticed that the other toddlers, I'm guessing around 3-4 y/o in age were taking showers by themselves in the locker room. The parents were standing outside the showers and not assisting. And I thought, hmmm, "am I behind?". Maybe they were just rinsing but usually DD wants me in there AT ALL TIMES when we take showers together.

4. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

My SD was about 5.5... before that she couldn't get the shampoo and conditioner out by herself.

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

At swimming, my boys started around 3.75. BUT, I got them the Huggies mitts with the soap in them, so it was really easy--they also have very short hair. At home, they started sometime last year around when they turned 5.

6. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

My boys started around Christmas time, so they had just turned 5.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son started when he was in school, so he was at least 6.

8. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

Around 5 for mine too.

9. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

Sean will be 5 next mo and was showering very well between 3 & 4 but then when he and Josh started bathing together he much preferred that.

10. Pookeysue

Pookeysue Well-Known Member

Mine are 2.5 and I have been letting them shower recently. It is a big deal to them when I do let them. I usually stand right outside and when they are done I was them up like I do when they take a bath. Some days it is just easier to let them get in the shower!

11. nina3

nina3 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I'll have to try those Huggie mitts for after swim.

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest DD was about 5.5 years old, but I still had to check her hair to make sure she got all the shampoo out.