when did you drop to one nap?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ilovemykids, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

i cant remember for the life of me with my twins but sometimes my 1 yo (just turned one yesterday!!!!!) is awfully tired in the am and falls asleep in my arms when drinking her bottle. but when i put her in her bed she wakes right up.
    she then goes down with my twins around 12.

not sure if shes ready for just one nap??

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's possible, although looking at averages, 12 months is on the early side. My twins were 17 months old when they switched. I kind of made them do it - I'm not sure they were fully ready. I tried transitioning my little guy last month at 14 months because he was showing some signs of being ready but it was a complete disaster, so we're back on two naps for now.

3. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My kids went to one nap right after they turned one. I think Max could have made it with 2 naps longer, but Vanessa was getting really bad, and missing naps and we tried to swich them, and she starting napping for 2 hours instead of 2 -30 minutes naps, so we are glad we did it so early.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

14 months for my boys - 1 was ready but the other would have happily done 2. Annabelle is another non-sleeper and can/has skipped naps regularly since she was tiny. I expect at about 13 months she'll want to drop it.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

They definitely could be ready. My kids officially went to 1 nap at 14 months, but the two months or so before that, they had days where they would refuse their morning nap totally.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Right around 13/14 months. At first it was earlier and eventually moved to 1:00. I loved the one nap stage. They slept 3-4 hours most weekend days.

7. lilybay

lilybay Well-Known Member

I stopped putting my guys down for their morning nap the day they turned 16 months. Starting around 13 months, there were a lot of days they'd fight it and sometimes skip it but at 15.5 months the morning nap turned into "party time in the crib." That's when I knew it was time to give it up!

8. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I can't remember what my twins did, but my singleton is going back and forth now and has been for 3-4 months. He's 15 months old now. He went about 2-3 weeks around the end of January doing strictly one long nap in the afternoon then he went back to two naps a day.

9. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

15 months.

10. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Around 15 months, one was ready a bit earlier, the other was not ready yet so we always offered an extra cap-nap opportunity to the one that needed more sleep.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Me too. I remember dreading the one nap transition but once they made it and were sleeping 3 hours every day, it was seriously awesome. I kind of miss it, now :cry:
    My two did the transition on their own about 15 months. They stopped the morning nap and I pushed the afternoon nap up an hour (from 2 to 1) and they usually slept from 1-4.

12. ilovemykids

she will fall asleep in my arms or in the car but if i just lay her down - she doesn't sleep. she pops up even if i give her a little extra in her bottle to settle her in her bed.
    if i 'keep' her up until noon (when the boys are eating then they go down), she will pass right out and sleep for 2-3 hours.

13. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I want to add we also gave up bottles and formula after they turned one. They turned one on a Saturday and on Monday we went to sippy cups, cow's milk and one nap. A few days they were cranky and they didn't have too much milk, but we made sure they had yogurt and cheese and they started drinking milk like usual out of sippy cups in about 3 days. I think the first few weeks they napped around 11.30 but we gradually moved their nap towards 12.30.

14. ilovemykids

she drinks out of a straw cup
    she is allergic to milk so no milk here yet, lol.