When did you get rid of nighttime pull-ups or diapers?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My boys have been potty-trained since mid June and they have stayed dry all night except for maybe 5 times total. But they still wear pull ups to bed...I am too scared to put them to bed in just underwear, worried about the "maybe tonight he will have an accident".

Did anyone else struggle with this? How long did it take you to finally put them to bed in underwear?

Thanks!

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They were fully potty trained in March and at the end of May beginning of June we ditched the overnight. Mostly bc they would both go a week waking up dry and then start to wake up wet and we noticed they were soaked and it was warm. It took us awhile with 2-3 accidents a week per boy but (knock on wood!) we have been almost a month accident free!:)

For me, I do so much laundry that the amount we save in pull ups vs doing an extra load was enough for me:)

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

With my dd, it was after she had been dry for a week. This was about two months after she was day trained. My son was a different story. He was finally night trained this past spring, five years old. I gave him two weeks to be dry and he could only have a sip of water at bedtime. I think it was more like ten days because dh jumped the gun, but it worked. Good luck! It sounds like you should put a waterproof matress pad on the beds and take a leap of faith!

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We day trained and night trained at the same time when the kids were almost 2.5. My daughter was basically accident free from the beginning. It took my son about 3 weeks of wetting the bed and then he was dry too. Occasionally he will still have an accident at night, maybe twice a month. (We have more problems during the day with him). I do take him to the bathroom before I go to bed and that seems to help. I put a waterproof pad on his bed and that will sometimes contain the accident to just the pad. I would much rather do an extra load of laundry than buy Pull-Ups. Good luck! Sounds like your boys are ready!

5. marijanad

marijanad Well-Known Member

My first DD, she was trained in June and had been dry at night for a long time even prior to formal training, so I took her out of pullups right away.
    My second DD is now fully trained, but she has been a work in progress with regressions, etc. She's been fully trained for maybe a month or two now, and just
    decided herself not to use a nap time pullup, but is still in a nighttime pullup. I think she will just let me know when she is ready to get rid of it, she has been dry
    in the morning for several nights now.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With my DD, it took me about a month to let go of the night time pull up...despite the fact that she had been staying dry :blush: My DS, I did the 3 day PT program and did not use pull ups at night but we no longer had to check him at night starting in June. He was probably okay without the night time checks prior to that.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We told both our girls they could switch to underwear when they were dry every night for a week. Amy made it (rather unexpectedly) while we were on vacation when they were 4.5 -- we kept her in pullups for the rest of the vacation, but let her start wearing underwear when we got home. She's never had an accident.

Sarah has still almost never been dry. Plus, she really likes pullups and is afraid of going without them. Sometimes I worry that she pees in them on purpose just so we won't try to get her to switch to underwear.

I would much rather buy pullups than wash sheets. I also have zero desire to have to wake my kids up and take them to the bathroom before I go to bed. It's a question of "pick your poison"!

1 person likes this.
  8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Exact same way over here. Mine potty trained last August, and we just got rid of pull-ups probably a month ago. Every morning when they'd wake up they were dry, so what I started doing was asking who wanted to wear panties to bed. That's how we started. Whoever said she wanted to wear panties to bed we'd tell her that it meant she had to be a big girl, potty right before bed, and skip a drink of water. (They always ask for a drink of water to put off going to bed.) We did that for a couple of weeks and then after they were both asking for panties we stopped using them.

So it took me a year from the time they potty trained until I felt confident enough to let them go at night without a pullup. And one of my daughters has wet the bed twice in this past month. The other one is accident-free.

9. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

My one DD is in pull-ups and wakes up both wet or dry. I'm giving it at least a year. I was grateful for pull ups this week especially, she had the stomach flu and had several blow outs during the night! Though I know that if I tried to night train her again It would probably be more successful. But like you Im scared and can't talk myself into another 3-4 weeks of middle of the night bed changes!!

10. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

We just transitioned them out of pull ups at night about 3 months ago, a couple months after they were mostly potty trained during the day. They did still have an occasional accident at night for about a month, but we have the plastic mattress covers, and we bought an extra set of sheets for both beds, so it was just a matter of taking off the wet sheet and putting on new ones. They haven't had any accidents in a long time now, and they know that they can use the bathroom any time they need to at night. Occasionally they do, but mostly they make it through the night now.

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Jori, any update? Are they night trained now?

12. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

How did I forget about this thread? Sorry! Thanks for all of your responses!

I'm still a chicken. Had my DH pick up another pack of generic pull ups last night. They wake up dry every day, but the image of a 3:00 a.m. wake up due to soaking sheets and pj's just feels me with dread...and keeps me buying pull ups. :lol:

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jori, I feel your pain! I did the same thing with my DD...she was in nighttime pull ups for at least two months before I finally got up the nerve of getting rid of the nighttime pull ups. It's like pulling off band aid. :woo: to the boys staying dry at night!

14. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Try it on a friday night! At least then it just ruins your saturday. Also, double layer the sheets with a pee pad in between. That way, you just take off the top two items and the bed is made again. Good luck!

15. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

Once the twins and their little brother potty trained they never (knock on wood) had nighttime accidents. They were typically dry each morning even when they were in diapers, so we started with the big boy undies immediately. We had mattress covers on the beds so if they had an accident it was no biggie other than to change them and wash the sheets. It was a whole lot more economical to wash the sheet if there was an accident than to continue with the pull ups for twins and a spare. I add the spare in there because they are all three so close in age, I basically began potty training them all at once. I waited until the twins were nearly 3 and the baby was 2. They all came out of diapers about the same time. Their pediatrician told us that boys did better with training if they were more mature so we waited and the little one wanted to be like his big brothers so he just went along for the ride. The big boys grasped the concept within the first few days. It took about two weeks for the baby, but once they were trained, even the occasional nighttime trip - they awoke and went to the bathroom on their own.