When did you give up sippy cups?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Jersey_Girls, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

My gals are nearly 3 and 1/2- (yikes!). Is it time?

Thanks!

2. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

My gals are nearly 3 and 1/2- (yikes!). Is it time?

Thanks!

3. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

There's no right or wrong answer. My boys have wanted to drink out of a regular cup since around 2yrs. So we started "dabbling" with that. Since 2.5yrs, they do pretty well with it. I allow them to use a cup at the kitchen table or outside. Yet, I still use sippy cups. I allow them to carry them around the house...and its convienent.

Not sure when I'll give them up totally? Maybe within the year? Maybe when they start preschool next fall...and they see all kids drinking out of cups. Maybe they'll get embarrassed and think its a baby cup? The rule will have to be drinking ONLY at the table. I can't imagine letting them carry grape juice around the house anytime in the near future. [​IMG]

4. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

A little before 2.5 they gave up sippys at the mealtimes. I do have water in a straw sippy though.

5. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

We have sippy cups but the boys dont use them. They have been drinking from an open cup since the very beginning. They just never took to the sippies. I just put very little juice/water in a cup and let them drink. When they finish I give them a little more. When we are out, I order them a cup of water, and they are very happy with just that.

6. abbymarie

abbymarie Well-Known Member

My girls are nearly 3 3/4. I still do the cups with lids (like tupperware) at meal times and on the go. I only use the spill proof "sippy" cups when they need a drink of water in bed. I always have water available to them to drink throughout the day, and they are usually cups with lids and straws. Hope that helps.

7. newfiefreckle

newfiefreckle Well-Known Member

I started giving Zack a regular cup at meal times at 2 years. He does great with it. I still give him a sippy to run around with in the house though during the day.