When did you stop giving milk before bed?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by TeeandGee, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

Our girls are 2.5 years old and they still get a sippy cup of about 6oz of milk before bed. I have no idea if I should stop this. I assume once we start potty training at night time then we should but is there any harm in them still having milk now before bed? I really have no clue.

When you stopped milk before bed did you introduce a small snack?

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

At 12.5 months we stopped milk before bed. We've never done an evening snack. Dinner is around 6:15 and up until about 4 months ago, they went to bed around 7-7:30. Now they go to bed around 8-8:30.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I know how you feel. We spend their first and 2nd years making sure they are fed and full belly's for sleeping and not wanting them to be hungry in the night. At some point you just have to do away with that thought and realize that being full might not be as good for sleep as it was when they were tiny!

If they are hungry before bed, give them a snack or a cup of milk. I don't know that there's anything wrong with that.

Boy, that wasn't really helpful!

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We stopped around 13 months and replaced it with water. That lasted about a week and then they lost interest.

5. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

around 18 months we stopped! i don't think it's a BAD thing though!

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All 3 of mine still get milk before they go to bed with a small snack. I see no reason to give that up.

7. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

still having milk before bed here too at 5

8. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

No harm in it as long as you are brushing their teeth after the milk so that they aren't sleeping with milk residue on their teeth.
    Naomi and Luke stopped around 3 1/2 (I think, it's hard to remember exactly). Alyssa and Bryony still have a drink of milk before bed and they just turned 6 (they are overnight potty trained-we never had to stop letting them have the milk). We didn't introduce a snack for N & L when they stopped having milk but if your kids seem hungry then I don't see any reason not to give them a snack.

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We're still doing it at almost 3.5. We still haven't started night training, so it hasn't been a problem -- although recently the girls have had more leaky diapers (since we switched to pull-ups) so we may need to consider rationing their milk.

I don't think we'll do a snack until dinner and bedtime get a lot farther apart. Right now they finish dinner around 6:30 and we start the bedtime routine around 7:30, so there's not really time for them to get hungry.

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I think we stopped it between 2-2.5, when they weren't always drinking it anyway.