When did you stop giving milk before bed?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by seamusnicholas, Jun 10, 2009.

1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Now that the boys eat dinner and go to bed sooner than they did when they took naps, there have been many times that I have not given them milk before bed. I was just curious if you ever stopped giving milk before bed.

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I stopped giving milk before beds when I stopped the bottle...somewhere around 14-15 months. I don't give my kids a bedtime snack unless we are up WAY past bedtime. They just go down...never had one, so they don't even question it. It's a habit I wish MY parents hadn't ever started.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I breastfed them at night up until May 4 (28 months) now they take a sippy cup of water to bed but not milk.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We also stopped as soon as we stopped bottles, for us that was 11 1/2 months.

5. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

I stopped milk before bed around 15-18 months, maybe earlier can't remember. We were done with bottles at 13 months. I started only giving milk at breakfast, lunch and dinner and during the day water.

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

It was right around 18 months.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All 3 of my kids still get a little glass of milk before bed, it's part of our bedtime routine.

8. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

QUOTE(HRE @ Jun 10 2009, 10:14 PM) [snapback]1349605[/snapback]
    It's a habit I wish MY parents hadn't ever started.

Also, a habit I wish I had never started! <_<

Nicole, L&M still get milk before bed, but they still ask for it. Especially Lauren... when she starts getting sleepy "mommy, i want my millk". But sometimes they may only take a sip or two. If the boys are asking for it, I would try to start skipping it.

(I can't believe how big they are getting!!)

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We still do it and I don't have any plans for stopping since its part of our bedtime routine- stories, milk, teeth, bed.

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

We stopped at around 6 months! :shok:

11. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when I stopped doing it as part of their bedtime routine. If they ask then I give it and if they don't ask then I don't. I just leave it up to them.

12. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi and Luke stopped sometime between 3 1/2 and 4 years (it kind of tailed off, with them having it some nights and not others). Alyssa and Bryony still have a drink of milk now, it's part of the routine and they like it so why not?

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We still do. It's just part of our routine, plus I figure it will help make up for whatever they DIDN'T eat at dinner.

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sometimes give it, sometimes don't around here. My two are not huge milk drinkers, so if I think they will drink it before bed I give it to them, otherwise I don't worry about it. :pardon:

15. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Somewhere between 18-24 months. They weren't drinking it anymore, so we stopped.

16. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Jun 11 2009, 02:06 PM) [snapback]1350476[/snapback]
    We still do. It's just part of our routine, plus I figure it will help make up for whatever they DIDN'T eat at dinner.

Same here. However, we have a poorly arranged routine where we do teeth then pajamas then drink milk with our books and then get into bed. We either have to figure out a way to do milk before teeth or cut the milk out of the routine all together. Maybe we'll start offering it with dinner. I'm afraid we would have mayhem if we got settled in the room reading stories and drinking milk and then left the room again to go brush teeth.

17. SarahH

SarahH Well-Known Member

None of my kids have ever had milk before bed, aside from when I was breastfeeding. Once they were weaned (18 mos), no more drinks before bed (except for a bit of water when brushing teeth).

18. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My almost 5 year old still has a cup of milk with an animal cracker before bed. Then we head upstairs and brush teeth. He loves that part of his bedtime routine, I have a hard time imagining him ever giving it up. :lol:

19. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We stopped at 12.5 months. Since then, the last milk of the day is with dinner. They can have water after that.

20. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We havent given milk before bedtime in probably a year. They havent missed it.

21. Lisa R

Lisa R Well-Known Member

We also stopped milk at bedtime around the time we stopped bottles. We have milk with dinner and that's it. Sometimes I will allow a bit of water if they're thirsty but I try to avoid that. I find that we have no problems with nighttime wetting if they don't have anything to drink after dinner. Both of my kids are potty trained and they usually don't have to go to the bathroom at night.

22. 40+mom

40+mom Well-Known Member

We stopped at around 2.5 years old (late, I know). I do a "last call" for milk out of their cups around 15-20 minutes after dinner is over, then that's it.

Meg

23. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

I can't remember exactly when...definitely before 18m.

24. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Mine stopped drinking it several months ago, but I was worried they'd wake up hungry, so I offered yogurt or drinkable yogurt instead.

I know Nadia had milk at bedtime longer than K&K....but she did give it up on her own sometime when she was 2, I think.