When did you switch from footie sleepers to 2-piece PJs?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Just curious -- Amy & Sarah have finally outgrown the 12-month Carter's sleepers that I bought at Costco last winter and now I'm considering whether to buy more 2T ones or start getting 2-piece PJs instead. I don't anticipate them being night trained anytime soon, so it's not so much that -- just wondering if you switched for any other reason. Amy has started wanting to wear "pants" to bed sometimes (so we put her in long johns & a shirt), but is willing to wear sleepers most of the time.

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We still use them, although we did take a break from them during potty training for Hannah. But Ben loves them, and insists on wearing them, even though he has to take them off and put them back on to go potty. They are really fast at it now! I personally love the two piece Carter fleece jammies, but they still like their footed ones best.

3. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

I think we stopped at 18 months. Well, Troy stopped, Jet still wears them. Jet doesn't sleep with any covers so I layer him up at night. Troy sleeps with about three big blankets and a zillion stuffed animals so he basically sleeps in a cocoon!

-Kimberly

4. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we have 2 two-piece outfits for Jake, mostly because I am having trouble finding good footie sleepers for Jake with zippers (he's a NIGHTMARE for me to dress).

I'll have to have my husband check Costco for sleepers. I worry his feet are cold, but he loves his two piece pjs (or i just love how cute he is).

5. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We are still wearing the footed pajamas (we only have 1 pair of the regular ones). We do plan to switch over to the regular ones when they are potty trained and/or they are sleeping in their beds (which ever comes first). Since they are still in diapers and sleeping in their cribs, the footed pajamas are easier because I feel it keeps them warmer (they don't use blankets). They don't really like wearing socks so this is what works best for us right now.

6. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

We stopped around 2.5 when they potty trained. Before we stopped altogether the boys were wearing some footie sleepers and some 2 piece PJs.

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

They still wear one piece footed in the winter for the most part (they have one two piece that are footed). In the fall, spring, and summer I put them in 2 piece (shorts in the summer). I think next winter we'll probably go with 2 piece because I hope to be potty training (or better yet potty trained) by then.

8. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

Most of the year, they wear 2 piece PJ's. However, during winter, ALL of their PJ's are one piece footed sleepers and they have long been potty trained and are over 4 years old.

My one son's room is the coldest room in our house (and the warmest in the summer). I worry about him being cold in the winter...so that's why I prefer the footed PJ's in the middle of winter.

My one son trained early last winter and wore the footed PJ's through the potty training process. They easily learned how to zip and unzip them. Both of my kids sleep very hard through the night and have never gotten up to pee in the middle of the night. (both night trained soon after day training) But I would guess for young kids that do get up, they probably get a parent to help them in the dark??? So you would be there to help assist in re-dressing them...if needed.

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Alden, we still use them so that the house doesn't have to be SO hot at night. Now that I can't put the heater in their room I have them in the fleecy one's. I use the 2 pc. during warmer times. Spring and Fall and then shorts and short sleeves in Summer.

Brace yourself for this cold weather coming!!! BRRRRR

10. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

We still use them in the winter to keep them warm and they are potty trained.

11. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Where I live I've had a hard time finding footed slippers larger than size 3T. So they have one each that still fit them and one two piece size 4 pijama. During night training, it wasn't really that hard with the 1 piece sleepers, just unzip and slip out of the arms and leave the leg part on. I've always put a t-shirt on under the one piecers because my girls tend to lower the zipper because they like to sleep with their finger in their belly button! :rotflmbo:

12. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

My girls wear both depending on the temperature. It fluxuates SO much here! They each have three sets of footed PJ's and several two-piece sets. Now, I'm wishing they had a lot more of the footed ones b/c Alana keep taking her PJ's off before I get in there in the morning and I just know that one of these days, she's going to take her diaper off too and I'm going to have a heck of a mess! She even unbuttons her flannel PJ's to take them off! She hasn't quite figured out the zipper on the footed ones yet, but I know it's just a matter of time. :)

13. Lilpark

Lilpark Well-Known Member

we wear a combo of both. Neither one have ever been a problem for us. Just depends on the temperature in the house or whats clean :D

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that you can PT even with footie sleepers. I would love to keep using them -- Sarah might be able to sleep under a blanket at some point (we haven't tried), but Amy is all over the place. They sleep in fleece sleepers and sleep sacks year round! Maybe we'll just get a few pairs of long johns to humor Amy when she's in one of her "I wear pants to bed" moods.

akameme, our Costco almost always has fleece Carter's sleepers (even in summer). That's where I buy all their PJs, which are practically the only clothes I buy new, because consignment shops don't carry them. Buying new jammies is my little splurge. :icon_biggrin:

15. Becky444

Becky444 Well-Known Member

I think it just depends on the chlld(ren). Mine get so hot that I had them out of them by 18 mo but do put socks on their feet on cold nights.

16. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

As long as I can find them! My 8 yr old is still in footed sleepers! :icon_eek:

17. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

We used the two-piece PJs last summer when it was warmer. We switched back to footed Carter's for the fall/winter.

I hadn't even considered moving to two-piece for ease of potty training...glad you brought that up.

18. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I switched when they were potty-trained because they needed to be able to go to the potty when they woke up in the morning. Before that, I preferred the zip up ones because they kept their stomachs covered. Since the kids move so much while sleeping, the shirts on the two piece pajamas are apt to scrunch up on them even if I tuck them in. In the summer, I used two pieces because it didn't matter if their tummies got exposed. My two were very slow potty trainers so this was the first winter we went with only two-piece sleepers.

19. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

We still use footies since its cold, but I do have some warmer 2 piece jammies they sleep in as well. I imagine I'll still have them in footies until they are potty trained, they really are too cute. I wish I had a pair myself!

20. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I have been wondering this, I'm not sure what to get for the summer since we might be potty training. But I also have the issue of them undressing. We have been doing backwards, one piece pajamas. Last summer they had shorts set two piece pj's.

21. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

We still are in footed PJ's for M&T and they just turned 5. When they potty trained they learned to zip up and down all by themselves with no hassles. At night when they are sleeping, it is like they are allergic to blankets they way they are thrown off, so I know they are keeping as warm as possible that way.