When did your babies start entertaining eachother?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Anneelizz, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Anneelizz

Anneelizz Active Member

My girls want to be held and entertained constsntly, when will they be capable of entertaining each other and give me a break? I can't keep up this dog and pony show! My girls are 12 weeks old. Help!!!!!!!!!

2. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

Not for a while longer there hun. Sorry to say. Heck, mine even at 8 months even don't really notice each other. Mind you, they are at very different stages....Olivia is crawling and Gavin is not. But unfortunately, it doesn't happen at 2 months.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine would go out of their way NOT to notice each other until about 8 or 9 months.. then it was all giggles for their brother. 12 weeks is a tough time.. they are just starting to notice the world around them, but can't really do much for themselves. In a month or two, they'll entertain themselves on a play mat, then it will be an exersaucer, then it will be everything they can crawl to! At that age we had a bouncy chair that had a lot of toys hanging from a bar over it.. they would stare at it and I think around 3.5 months they started to bat at the toys. Tummy time is also good for them, even if they hate it! Get a good play mat with toys on it and let them wriggle around on their bellies for a while.

4. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

Oh man I am right there with you Annelizz - mine are 11 1/2 weeks and I swear I don't have time to go to the bathroom. [​IMG] If it's not one it's the other and if it's not that it's both, ugh [​IMG]- seriously this is really hard and I am trying so hard to say how happy I am, but right now I am not feeling it. I also have 3 older children and spend absolutely no time with them, I just feel awful. I just hope nobody remembers the things I couldn't do for them and only remember the good stuff [​IMG]

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Mine are 4 months and 1 week. Some time last month, they both cried at the same time when they were in seperate pnps. My husband put them together in one pnp. They stopped crying and staring at each other.Thats the first time they noticed each other I guess. They dont play together yet of course. But they stay in the same pnp/crib and watch crib mobile or wach cartoon/baby eisteins together. Before if one cried, another one didnt care. But now, if one cry, pretty soon another will join the party and it drives us nuts.

6. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

Mine are 4 months and they are just starting to notice each other. Today we caught them holding hands. We have a play mat that is a HUGE hit for us at our house. It's hilarious because they will take turns watching the other twin play. One of our girls is always on her belly because she can flip on her own and the other little one is perfectly content to lay on her back (she HATES tummy time!). About 2 weeks ago we noticed them smiling at each other. We always get them up in the morning and they play by themselves on the playmat together for probably a half hour while we get going in the morning...this was a new development as of about a month ago, so hopefully you are right around the corner from them entertaining eachother... at least for a little while!!! Oh and I don't know if it would be helpful, but we set up board books around the playmat so that they can have something fun to look at and hang rings from the hooks so that they can play with the rings on their own. It seems to work wonders for us!!!

7. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Use baby props - seriously! At that age mine were constantly in the swing, bouncers, exercausers, etc. and usually being moved from station to station. As soon as they did start to sit independently, and especially crawl I made a conscious effort not to be their entertainment. They didn't start playing together until recently, and now it is fighting more than playing, but they did learn to play by themselves and side-by-side. They will show each other how to use certain things and make something look intriguing to the other at a pretty young age. It sounds harsh, but I didn't want to be their playmate and now they play really well on their own and don't need me to create fun which makes it better because now I can play blocks, or color, or read with them when I want to and am still able to get things done or just sit on the couch when I want to as well.

8. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Mine started around 4 mos. Now (at six mos) they pull each other's hair, steal toys, and entertain each other in their play yard for at least five minutes. That's enough time for me to grab food and possibly run to the bathroom.

Most people think I'm crazy, but I can't wait until they become more mobile. Crawling and sitting up on their own, in my head, allows for more variety in play time. I'd love to be able to use their soon-to-be playroom so I could just sit and watch them play for a little bit instead of being "on stage" constantly! :)

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

my guys are almost 8.5 months, and they could care less about each other. LIke Robynsegg they are at very different stages though. Nathaniel is crawling and pulling up to his knees, William is still content to just lay there.

10. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Ditto for mine, on all of it!

11. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Mine have really started to get into toys in the past month - at six months. It's so nice!

12. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

13. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

So glad I'm not the only one feeling this way...I could have written this myself. I feel so bad for my older daughter. I FINALLY got an hour when they were both asleep during a nap yesterday so I could play some Wii with my oldest. She has been so left behind... :-(

14. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Mine were around 12 months when they started to entertain each other a bit. Even now, at 19 months, they still demand my attention most of the time. They will play alone for short periods of time, say 5-10 minutes.

15. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Ditto!

My T2 hates tummy time, hates lying down at all for longer than a few minutes and has to be kept amused constantly.
    I feel like both girls will be happier when they can sit up and/or move around.