When did your babies start walking?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by brlowe, Feb 13, 2009.

1. brlowe

brlowe Well-Known Member

Ok, I know that not walking by age 18 months is perfectly normal. I also know that my girls' adjusted age is only 13.5 months. But, I'm just curious about other babies as well. Livie will take about 4 steps by herself (as long as she's walking TO someone.) Izzy doesn't care about walking. She'll walk if you hold her hands, but doesn't even try to do it by herself. When you try to stand her up to walk, she just jumps up and down like a jumping bean. I just need to hear some others' stories and if you have any advice that would be great too. Thanks everyone!

*Oh and sorry I've been MIA for sooooo long, been kinda crazy around here. Glad to be back!*

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Amelia started taking steps right before her first birthday. She kept taking more and more on her own and then once Lily saw sister walking she just got up and walked. It seems like Amelia reaches milestones first but takes a long time to master them but Lily just does it out of the blue.

They are only 13.5 months old, don't worry about it, they will walk when they are good and ready!

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Sofia started walking at 9.5 months and Ryan walked at 11 months.

4. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

Whit walked at 10 months and Carmen at 11 months.

5. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Van started taking steps by his first birthday and Finn a few weeks later. My sister's girls were closer to 15 or 16 months, though...

6. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

15 months, 14 adjusted.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Audrey surprised us by being the first to walk early in her 13th month. SHe was always the one who wouldn't move her legs when we 'helped' her. Clayton walked late in his 13th month.

8. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

Ethen was walking just past 10.5 months and Deven is just starting to get in the 5-10 step and plop stage.

9. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Mine were on the late side - around 15 & 17 mo adjusted.

10. mandyanna

mandyanna Well-Known Member

Mine were 14 months old. Grace just started running, Sarah was just the opposite she took it slow and easy and she still does!

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My dd started trying to walk at 12 months but didn't perfect it, like walking more then ten steps, until almost 15 months. My ds always hated "practicing" and I thought he'd never walk, he didn't even like to walk holding our hand. At 14 months he just got up and walked, and he did great right off the bat. It'll happen. :hug:

12. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

My daughter was 13 months, I'm still waiting for my son. He's taking a few steps but not walking on his own yet.

13. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

Dd was walking at 13 months and ds at 14 months.

14. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

Late walkers here. They could take 4 or 5 or 10 steps at 15 months but they really had no desire to do it and wouldn't unless me made them walk between us, they were good at it and never fell down but they would NOT do it on there own

Finally at 17 months ( 15m corrected) they started walking and now are trying to run!

Hang in there it will happen

Erica

15. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

DS started right before 9 months (he's always been the busy one) and DD not until 13-14 months.

16. cacorsi

cacorsi Active Member

My daughter started at 11 1/2 months. My son started at about 13 months.

17. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

Lily at 9 months and Jack at 10 months. Lily is very petite though and completely fearless so I think that is why she started so early. Jack, I think, just started so early because he saw her do it.

18. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

One of mine started about 2 weeks ago, so 12.5 months. The other hasn't started yet, and has no interest in trying. They are 13 months this week.

19. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

DS1 did just a couple of weeks after their first birthday. DS2 was about 13.5 months. It was quick for both of them when it happened. DS1 would take a few steps for weeks then we went home for Christmas and he just took off now he's practically running. DS2 was about a month later but it was a similar experience. Don't worry it'll happen then you will just want them to stay put!

20. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Abigail at 12 months
    Ryan at 10 months
    Kyle at 13 months
    Amelia at 18 months

21. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

DD walked at 11 months and DS not until 15.5 months. I remember bringing it up at our 15 month well baby check and the pedi said she wouldn't even be concerned or address the issue unless he was showing zero signs of walking at 18 months.

22. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Mine were late walkers, they started walking on their own at 17 and 18 months but they were born 10 weeks early. Try to get them used to walking with 2 hands held, then progress to one, then start trying to let go.

23. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Both my girls started at about 15 months, but Kevan didn't start walking until 19 months -- just a few weeks ago. He did need a bit of physical therapy to get him going, and he's still a little wobbly, so we're going to continue the therapy for another couple months, at least.

If your kiddo will walk holding a hand, then she's probably totally fine, and might just need some encouragement....

24. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Max at 11 half months and Elliot is just starting to take a couple of steps now at 13 half months.

25. mals

mals Active Member

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ Feb 13 2009, 01:29 PM) [snapback]1188896[/snapback]
    15 months, 14 adjusted.

Few days before their first birthday

26. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

DD Lacy at 12 1/2 months & DS Logan at 17 Months(he was lazy and just didn't try!) then, one morning at the park he started...finally!

27. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

DS took is first real steps on his 1st birthday - but he still preferred crawling as it was faster...DD took about another 2 weeks - she just let go of the walking toy one day and started to walk and never looked back!

28. Rachel P

Rachel P Well-Known Member

One of my boys was walking at 12 months, and the other didn't walk well until 17 months!

29. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

DD started walking at 11 months, DS is just starting now (13 months), he'll take at most 2 steps on his own.

30. Sylvarin

Sylvarin Well-Known Member

Alex was walking by 12 months and Nikki by about 16 months :) (unassisted...I can't remember at what age they used things around the house to support themselves, but I'd guess a month or so before)

31. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

DS started right before his first birthday - he's still just taking 5-10 steps and then getting down and crawling. DD is showing no signs of being ready. She won't even stand on her own for us - she goes all noodle legs. Pedi says don't worry, so we don't, but I'm really looking forward to walking!

32. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls started walking at 12 1/2 months actual age (9 1/2 months adjusted).

33. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine were born 9 weeks early. Lily (A) walked at 11 months actual, and Grace (B) walked at 20 months actual. Yes, a 9 month difference. Grace is my stubborn child who has zero sense of urgency. I think the delay was all personality on her part. We're having the same battle with potty training right now. Lily's been trained since September, Grace is stubborn and just will not commit!

34. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Both boys were about a week shy of 15 months old.

35. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

we didnt' start walking until 15 months here! one day it just happened!