When do most people stop working?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by babyhopes09, Dec 29, 2009.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I'm 22 week pregnant with our twins and am trying to plan my maternity leave. I'm a speech pathologist, so I'm on my feet most of the day. I always scoffed at the thought of having to stop work too early... now I'm changing my story!!! I've never been so tired and worn out after a day at work! I will do whatever it takes to get our little ones as close to full-term as possible, so I was wondering what a common time stop working is with twin pregnancies...

2. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

It's really a case-by-case issue, but you being on your feet probably means you'll want to leave work on the earlier side.

FWIW - I have a calm office job, and planned at 30 weeks to scale back all outside activities. No traveling, no social activities, just work and rest. Turned out I felt better than I expected, and I would go places when I felt up to it. I worked until 38w5d and delivered at 39w on the dot. Just share that for other expectant moms, especially the ones (like me) who can't take an early leave. You can keep working and still carry full term.

But it's really a matter of how things are going for you and what demands your work puts on you. Much better to be cautious about your activity, when to scale back and stop is a matter of opinion. 26 weeks? 28 weeks? 30? Listen to your body and your doctor and come up with a plan.

Good luck!

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Congrats on making it this far!! I am a teacher, so I was up on my feet all day long as well. I worked up until Christmas break at which point I was 34 weeks. I had my girls two days before I was to go back to school, which I would have done had I not went into labor. My OBGYN wanted me off work at 27 weeks, but I couldn't do it because I was going through my internship and had to teach so many days in order to complete it..so it wasn't a option for me to take extra time off. She understood and just kept a very close eye on me and told me that at the first sign of distress I would be off work immediately. If I could have, I would have stopped when my doc wanted me to..if you think you need to, do it, you won't be sorry!!

4. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I agree with PP, it really depends on a lot of things, like what type of work you do and if you have had an uneventful pregnancy. I worked until 37 weeks and was induced at 37.5. Saying that, I sit at a desk all day long and had a big comfy chair in my office where I could kick my feet up if I needed to.

:good: job growing those babies!!

5. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

We were told by a childbirth educator that between 29 and 33 weeks the babies are about the same size as a singleton pregnancy. She said this can make the body think it's job is done. She didn't say stop work but rest, rest, rest and keep hydrated. We are getting closer to that time and my DH already keeps trying to send me off to bed every 10 mins!!! If you can get rest every day then keep on working. Good Luck. I know there are so many factors to consider.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I worked until 35 weeks, but I was able to stay off my feet a lot. I'm a lawyer, so I am up and down a lot normally, but people were understanding about me sitting when I'd normally be standing. It really depends upon your pregnancy, your doctor, and your comfort level though. I stopped at 35 because I had a 40 minute commute, and I didn't want to go into labor far away from my hospital (which actually would have been more than an hour from my work). I actually had the babies at 37 1/2 weeks, and I was out and about that last two weeks as much as I could be. I saw a few movies at least. :)

7. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Could you make arrangements in advance with your employer to switch to some sort of desk job? I'm a psychologist and had to stop working with patients around 32 weeks (and that was pushing it!). Now, at 34.5 weeks, I am mainly doing computer work and even having a hard time with that. Truthfully, if I didn't have work that I MUST get done before I go on leave, I would stop working now. I get so tired sitting no matter what position I am in. I also get tired standing, laying down, etc etc. Do you work with kids? All that bending over, getting on the floor etc gets really really hard.

8. babyhopes09

I work only with kids and there's a lot of bending over, squatting, sitting on the floor and walking (and sometimes running!) for my job. I work 2 part-time jobs that amount to a full-time job. One in a school district and the other in a private practice. For me, it's not necessarily the type of movement but the constant movement that's wearing me out. 3 of my weekdays I get done working at the school and then go straight to see private clients for therapy. It can make for a very long day when I'm constantly moving for 10-12 hours straight!! I'm thinking about cutting back on one job or the other around 28-30 weeks and sticking with the other for as long as I can. Though, at this point I'm hoping that I'll get a little boost in energy soon because I'm starting to get more and more worn down. By the weekend or evening all I can do is lay on the couch!

9. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

I'm a licensed clinical counselor specializing with children, so I totally get the physicality of your job. Please just be careful! I pushed hard with my singleton pregnancy and worked 10 hour days 4 days a week on top of a private practice job as well and ended up in the hospital on Magnesium at 24 weeks pregnant to stop my labor. Listening to your body is VERY important. I had been feeling very rundown, having random BH contrax and just pushing it too hard.

This twin pregnancy, since I'm high risk for PTL again, I'm taking it VERY easy. I had to quit my 20hour a work-week schedule very early on due to bedrest for a subchorionic hematoma. I only went back to seeing 2-3 clients 3 times a week. They all know that I could have to be out at any time. I'm hoping to see them at least another month but am not crossing my fingers since I was just in L&D for contrax this past week again.

Maybe your doc will give you guidelines.

10. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

I work full-time (at a desk on the computer and phone, from home) and my OB will pull me out of work at 36 weeks or earlier, if needed. I haven't had any complications, so I was extremely active until just recently. I'm now 29 weeks and exhausted. The doctors and nurses keep telling me to rest, and we're going to discuss my work schedule at my next appointment. Thanks for posting this topic because I've been wondering about it myself. I hope you get some downtime soon.

11. confettiangel

confettiangel Member

I am a nurse & spend all day on my feet (& bending & squatting etc) so know how you feel, although I was only working a few days a week. I stopped (most) work at around 19 wks as I was having problems with low blood pressure & would faint after standing for 5 minutes (not a good look)!

I am still doing a day a fortnight as a nurse educator, which is spent sitting down for the whole time. I will finish that at around 32 weeks when I need to move 8hrs away to be close to my hospital.

Even if I didn't have the blood pressure problems, I think I would have stopped around 24 wks, when I had a PTL scare.

I also have a 2 year old daughter, which is probably the most exhausting job I have lol!

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I really don't think you will see a burst of energy with twins.

I truly believe that because I didn't take the time that I should have I had my girls early. Had I taken off like my OB suggested, I probably could have kept them in longer. I was so tired when Christmas break arrived and then on top of that we moved into a new house the week of Christmas. When the babies came, I was still tired. I think that if you can not take it easy and will continue to be on your feet, it might be a good idea to seriously think about taking time off now.

13. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

Just listen to your body. Everyone is so different. I worked up until 28 weeks with the girls, and went into labor at 29.5 weeks, so obviously the signs my body was sending me to take it easy were serious ones that I ignored. This time around I'm stopping work at 20 weeks and taking it extra easy due to our issues with PTL in our previous pregnancies. I know not everyone has those issues or needs to stop that early, which is why I just tell people to listen to themselves. If you're having any issues at all - lots of braxton-hicks, lots of pressure or cramping - then please, please listen to your body and take it easy. Ok - off my soapbox now. :FIFblush:

14. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I too am a nurse and was off at 19 weeks due to fainting from low blood pressure!(I wonder if its just the job? :)) I wanted to go back to work after we got the fainting episodes under control but then I had placenta previa and a lot of dificulty with my pelvis so I stayed off. For me I could be off because I got disability till the boys were born then went on matt leave so I had some money coming in.

Best of luck

15. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

Most of the books I read at the beginning of the pregnancy recommend 28 weeks and I laughed, then I got to 28 weeks and WOW,I can see why they recommend leaving that early. Not only do we work but we have things outside of work to take care of and it gets hard really fast. I worked until 40 weeks with my DD and was fine but this is sure different.

I had start contracting at 30 weeks 5 days and my doc said "you are NOT going back to work". I was suprised I that I needed a shot to stop the contractions because my pregnancy had been pretty low key until that point. Luckily my cervix has made no changes. Now I'm on at-home bedrest and told to take it easy. My advice is to try and not push yourself. It's just not worth it. Start talking to your doctor now about leave. Initially I was going to go out at 33 weeks but it's been nice being home, in my comfortable clothes and able to do whatever I need to relax.

16. melissa8

melissa8 Member

I agree, if you can take the time off, do it. I only get 4 weeks off total, so I have no option of taking time off before the babies. Fortunately, I've had a pretty uncomplicated course so far. I am at 37 weeks today and will have a c-section Monday at 37.5. However, today I came home with feet twice their normal size and frequent contractions, so maybe I won't make it until Monday. Good luck. I wondered about getting energy at the end too, but the fatigue only continued to get worse! Just to warn you.

17. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

I took the last month on my pregnancy as leave. I was so big and tired I just could not do it anymore. The month before that I worked 32 ish hours a week. Still exhausting, my OB had told me to tell her when I was ready to take leave and she would fill out the paper work. Luckily we had short term disability-(due to medical complications of twin preg)so that helped with the bills. I sort of wished I would have listened to her. I was soo tired and wonder if that is partially why there was so much difference in their size at birth. Not sure.

Anyway, take care of your self. LIsten to what your body is "saying" and do not push too hard. Congrats on your pregnancy

18. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

I'm self-employed and will be going to reduced hours next month. I'll do two half-days/week in January, and then stop at the end of month, at which point I'll be 30.5 weeks. I think I'll be more than ready to be done at that point.

19. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

I aggree with the part about getting really hard really fast!
    With my previous 2 single pregnancies, I worked until about 35 & 32 weeks but this time I have just finished at about 24 weeks. (Christmas Eve was my last day! And a super busy one at that-worked all day, then packing for holiday, then traveling for 2 hours.)

I feel an enormous amount of guilt at finishing so early, but on the other hand I know that my body is slowing up sooooooooo much faster this time. As I try and explain it to friends, it's like being full term already. The assorted back and nerve pain, discomfort, difficulty moving etc seems to be magnified.

I work in the retail health industry and although I was only doing about 12-15 hours a week, I was on my feet the WHOLE time. Add that onto housework and looking after my 9yr & 4yr old and I definately feel full term!

It's funny though, the need to constantly justify finishing early. Not just to others but to myself!?

20. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Comments from a singleton pregnancy...I had a LOT of BH around 28-30 weeks, and slowed down a lot at home (fortunately it was starting to get colder so not so hard to find excuses to cuddle up on the couch) and at 32 wks went to 4 d per week (using vacation days). I've committed to one week more, to the end of my 38th week, and really regretting it! I've had a lot of swelling lately, and feeling really tired and headachey and blah goes along with that. So I would recommend you look at 30-32 weeks, or at least give your employer a heads up it might happen, with a twin pregnancy you don't want to take any risks as PP have said. I know it's tough depending on your financial situation and leave allowances, but it's far better than NICU time.

21. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

hi!

I worked up to 28w4d. I was planning on working through to 30w, however, I started to have pre term contractions every 4 min's and also had some softening of the cervix. I had to go on bed rest. After about 2 weeks of bed rest, my contractions reduced significantly. I'm 34w3d today and am now dilated 1 cm, so hoping we can make it another 12 days or so.

I worked about 10 - 11 hours per day, including the ocmmute. I worked in HR, had a bit of stress, but nothing that wasn't managable. Looking back, I wish I would have reduced my hours around 27 weeks, as I think that would have allowed me to continue through longer.

The exhaustion started right at about 5 wks preg and went through to about 19 wks. I felt good from 19 - 26 or 27 and then started to get very tired again. I wish I would have listened to my body when I started to get fatigued again, but I kept going thinking just a few more weeks.

Its different for each person, the best piece of advice you could follow is to just listen to your body. Get tons of sleep and keep hydrated.

Good Luck!

22. babyhopes09

I'm totally hearing you on the guilt feeling.. I feel guilty because I haven't even gotten to the 3rd trimester and it's all I can do to lay on the couch! Yesterday we had a scare that turned out to just be braxton hicks/irritable uterus that seems to get frequent with movement and I am supposed to resume with my normal schedule this coming Monday.. part of me just wishes that my doctor would just tell me when I need to stop working- whether it's next week or 8 weeks from now. I'll do whatever is in my power to get our baby girls to full-term, it's just hard to know where the line should be drawn!

23. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

My OB would have written me a note to get out of work at ANY time, and now I wish I had taken him up on this!! I kept working and at 29 weeks I saw the other OB in the practice who took me out of work. I had been planning on working another week. I'm glad he took me out, and I wasn't even on my feet all day! I definitely would have stopped sooner if I had been in the classroom and on my feet the whole day. Listen to your body. It's the best thing you can do at this time.

24. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

Oh wow--you all have me freaked out! I'm a Realtor and, while I've been trying to take it easy, it's been difficult because I had a fairly busy end of the year (believe it or not!) and I feel like there's still so much to do! I'm 24 weeks now and I definitely feel more tired than I did 4 weeks ago so I can only imagine how I'll feel in a month.
    How do you get everything done that you need to do to prepare (like setting up the nursery, etc)? I just feel like I have a list as long as my arm. I obviously would *much* rather take it easy than have extended NICU time but it's difficult because my job involves a lot of running around and now I feel like my life does as well!
    Any tips?

25. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

HSDDC- My best advise is start early. We to finish the floor boards, paint and put up crown molding in the nursery. We paid to have the floors done and then did the rest ourselves. I took a week off work to do this and it was the best thing I could have done as I never would have managed to work ft and do all this on the weekend. Once we had all the hard labor done, we just started to set the cribs up and get organized a little bit at a time. If you have any friends or family, just inlist their help. most people are more than happy to come over and spend a few hours helping get the nursery organized and decorated.

We just put the finishing touchs on the nursery last night, got the rest of the sheets and clothing washed and are now completely ready. All up, counting the painting part, it took about 10 or 11 weeks of chipping away at it.

Good luck!

26. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

I worked up until 32wks as an ER nurse(lots of walking, bending, lifting, pushing stretchers) then I ended up in the hospital after a shift with pre-e signs. Totally wish I would have slowed down sooner - maybe cut my 12hr shifts back to 8 around 28wks or so.

27. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Don't get freaked out mommas! By all means listen to your body and take as much time as you can, but there's a decent chance you won't NEED it. My favorite reading when I was expecting my twins is here:

http://www.lookydaddy.com/weblog/2007/06/i_know_that_mos.html

It's an old blog post about going full term with twins, and the writer's experience was a lot like my own. Hundreds of women wrote in with their stories. Now, there's no guarantees, but it's always a good idea to think positive!

FYI - I'm a lawyer and was in court a lot my last month. Because of all the good wishes I got from everyone, I almost wish I could always appear in court like that! Try to enjoy the perks where you can. :)

28. I think it depends upon what type of job you have and if you are high risk. As a writer I was able to do a lot of work from home so it worked out. I did not miss too much work, but if I had a job where I was on my feet and could not work from home I would not have worked past 15 weeks. I would just see how it goes as it can always change.
    Joan

29. babyhopes09

That's a great website!! Very encouraging to read! From what I'm understanding listening to your body obviously is the most important thing! Even if it makes me overly cautious and I don't have any s/s of the babies being in danger, I still know that there are certain signs I shouldn't ignore from my body- namely increased B/H and being overly worn down. Just curious.. do you all have doctors that you know if you said certain things to they would take you out of work ASAP? Our primary OB is very laid back and will follow my lead as long as everything looks okay, but the other day we saw another OB in the practice and she gave us the impression that she would take me out of work soon if I continued to feel worn down- which kind of startled us because I'm only 23 weeks...

30. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I stopped at 28 weeks and never went back.

31. evemomma

I'm very high risk, and my doctor has already warned me that he wants me off work by 26 weeks...However, I'm only working a few hours a week as it is (I'm a therapist and mostly just sit and talk), so he may say it's fine to stay if my body is doing ok. That being said, I went into PTL at 24 weeks with my singleton, so that is why he's being so very cautious.

32. Aimless

Aimless Member

I am an occupational therapist, so i can relate to the type of work you are doing, my doc said 30 weeks, i made it to 32, and i was never happier to lay on my left side. i felt so much better, and all of my minor complications, (mild swelling, slightly elevated BP) were reversed by 3 days on modified bedrest.

33. Cherrye98

Cherrye98 New Member

I am 17 weeks and 5 days pregnant with twins. I have 3 little boys already ages 7yrs, 5yrs and 4yrs. I am a single mother and have no help at home. I work as waitress and am on my feet 5-6 hours with no break. I will onlky be working 3 days a week but Im not sure if even that is too much. i have my college degree and have been trying to find a less demanding job but in this economy you know how that goes. Does anyone have any suggestions as to when I should stop working or questions to ask my doctor. My next appt is this Friday, January 8, 2010.

34. evemomma

I'm sorry you have to work such a physically demanding job! I would get REALLY honest about the physicality of your job with your doc and see what he says. I know I read somewhere that women who are on their feet at least 80% or their jobs have a WAAAAAAY higher chance of PTL. Are you employed full-time? If so, you might be able to qualify for short-term disability. You may want to call on all your fam/friends and see if anyone is looking to fill a sit-down desk job. I suppose a temp agency might help, though they wouldn't be able to offer you benefits. I just started wearing a maternity support belt, and I WISH I got it several weeks ago...I bet that would help you when you're on your feet! GL!

35. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

I also wanted to add that you need to get as much rest now before the babies come so you can "conserve" enegy for them after the birth. My sleep schedule is all screwy right now and if I was working, I know I would killing myself and it's just not worth it.