When do they start consolidating their naps? Going crazy!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tracymcg, Mar 29, 2007.

1. tracymcg

tracymcg Well-Known Member

They are driving me to insanity with their napping schedule (right now they're crying in their cribs because I don't know what else to do with them [​IMG]).

They will only sleep 45 minutes at a time, and they need more than that so they're cranky and exhausted every time they wake up. They're smiling up at me when I first get to them, but then 5 minutes later they're rubbing their eyes and fussing/crying. Just now I fed them and am trying to put them back down. Does it seem reasonable to try and put them down again right away if they seem exhausted?

I've tried to "catch them" at that perfect moment before they wake up and try to sooth them back into another sleep cycle, but it has NEVER worked. Today I literally camped out on their floor where they couldn't see me, waiting to see the little twitching legs. Nope--didn't work.

I am SO sick of this! Please, please tell me the books don't lie and that they will eventually take longer naps.

2. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Honestly, you can't always go by the books... all babies are different.

What worked for me, was laying them on the couch beside me. Sure, I got nothing done, but they slept, and I rested with them. I got to catch up on TV shows, as well [​IMG]

I figured, heck if they are napping, I can sit with them, and then when they wake, I can put them in their walkers or in the floor for tummy time, and get a few things done. It worked well for me that way.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Mine started taking longer naps at 5-6 months. They were doing the same thing, taking short ones, 3-4 times a day until then. [​IMG]

4. tracymcg

tracymcg Well-Known Member

Thanks! That's definitely encouraging. I'm not really a "by the book" person, necessarily, but I feel like I keep reading that eventually they take longer naps.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if I felt like they woke up rested and refreshed off 45min. But they are SO crabby, and trying to calm two crabby babies all day long is really testing my patience, KWIM? Seems like somebody's always crying these days, so I hope this improves with better sleep soon. (They're good night sleepers, it's just the naps that are problematic.)

5. cael0816

cael0816 Well-Known Member

mine did the same thing. i posted ALOT of posts about naps and sleeping. they are just now taking decent naps. not sleeping through the night, but napping better.

6. Lolu

Lolu New Member

Hi

I have twin boys who are 7 months old. Every baby is different but what helped me is this book called, Heallthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. It's a book about sleep training and general sleep habits information. It's probably the only single tool that's helped me gain my sanity back. My twins started sleeping through the night at 4 months of age.

Babies go through sleep changes as they get into different phases of growth. At the very least, the book helped me feel like I was not alone.

Good luck!

7. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

my girls are catnappers too. What i found yesterday worked.. I usually only swaddle them at night, not for naps. Well yesterday afternoon, I swaddled them both and put them down in their cribs awake. They were in there for about 20 mins awake and the next time i checked they were both sleeping. They napped for about an hour and half!

8. LB

LB Well-Known Member

OMG..I just sent and email to my friend with triplets with the SAME EXACT problem..right now they are both sleeping but it took me an hour to get them down!!!! I have them in seperate rooms (they sleep in the same room at night) one upstairs in their bedroom and one in the pnp downstairs b/c one was waking up the other.It took me an hour to get them down and they'll only sleep 45 minutes!! On the dot! I've tried putting them right back down but that rarely works. I feel like my day is spent putting babies down for naps!! And like you said if at least they were pleasant when they woke. They wake up whining and crying. It's exhausting and definitely wearing on the nerves. I was so angry yesterday I had to put one down in a room and close the door. I couldn't take it..then I ended up crying for feeling like such a horrible mom. This has to get better

9. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Mine are getting there. I followed HSHHC too since he's our pediatrician. They're taking 2 or 3 naps. Today will be a 2 day nap because they slept 9-11, they'll be going down around 1 again. We have a b'day party where we have to go to (my oldest's friend). At 6 months, my oldest was consistently sleeping twice a day, at 9 am and 1 pm (as per HSHHC), going to bed at 6 pm, sleeping til 7 am. She was a model baby ... the twins are close, but not that great, although it's harder with 2 as well.