When do they stop playing with their food?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Buttercup1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

I am trying to get the girls to eat at the table in their booster chairs rather than with the trays and I feel defeated. When did your twins stop tipping plates over, throwing food on the floor and generally stop playing with their food. I'm exhausted from trying to control the mayhem and destruction at meals.

TIA
    Jennifer

2. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on their personalities....I think my older one was around 2 when she stopped throwing plates, but I still fed her for a long time after that. With K&K, we are just now giving them food on plates and in bowls -- but still in their high chairs, with trays.

I have the Kinderzeat chairs for them to use at the table, but they're not quite ready yet. Kevan still requires being strapped into the high chair, LOL, because otherwise he'll climb out from behind the tray and fall on his head.

But, I think (hope!) in the next couple months, they'll mature to that point....

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I noticed a big difference shortly after we put them up to the table. If they started tipping stuff and throwing food, I took their food/plates/cups away. They learned quickly about manners at the table. :D

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are still in highchairs but they still play with their food and throw it off their trays, etc. so I'm no help!

5. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I think they think they are helping me clean their highchair trays by putting it on the floor.... sorry

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We have a rule that if you tip your plate over you don't have a plate and have to eat off the tray/table like a baby (peer pressure works well here because "OMG you can't seriously take my big kid plate away! Sister has her plate!!!"). If you throw your sippy mommy takes it too. They've found a loop hole though- "Accident mommy!" because sometimes they do accidentally knock over the cup or drop their fork.

But I think if you are consistent with your expectations then they will gradually get better. But if a pp is right and its all personality, I might not know what I'm talking about :wacko: :D