when should they check fluid level?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Tina Ross, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Tina Ross

Tina Ross Well-Known Member

I have read a few post about fluid levels and cervical lengths..I'm am 21 weeks and they have not done any of that on me yet..When do they normally do that..I go to the doc today, so is it something I should bring up..I was just wondering..

2. Tina Ross

Tina Ross Well-Known Member

I have read a few post about fluid levels and cervical lengths..I'm am 21 weeks and they have not done any of that on me yet..When do they normally do that..I go to the doc today, so is it something I should bring up..I was just wondering..

3. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

When I had my first level II u/s at 18 wks, I had my cervical length checked via u/s with vag. wand. I had it done again 4 wks later. All they have ever said is fluid looks good, I am not for sure how they judge it though.
    [​IMG] HTH!

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

If you have had an ultrasound recently they probably checked but didn't say anything (which is a good sign) - I have to ask they havn't ever mentioned it to me on their own!!

5. luv_my_kidz

luv_my_kidz Well-Known Member

The gal at my OB's office that does the ultrasounds said they only "eyeball" the fluid until approx. 28 weeks. She said they can't actually get a good measurement of it until that point. The way they measure it via u/s it to place the measurement on 4 pockets of fluid surrounding each baby and then it is calculated.
    She told me anything prior to 28 weeks is not very accurate. However, a good u/s tech can "look" and be able to tell if you have enough fluid prior to that time. HTH.

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Each time you have an u/s, that is part of what they are measuring. They don't always say though. Depends on lots of factors: the tech or your doctor, how many questions you ask, any known risk factors, etc.

Have you had any u/s's yet?