When they are sleeping and poop!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by E&Msmom, Jan 20, 2009.

?

If your child is sleeping and you check on them and KNOW that they have pooped what do you do?

1. I let them sleep and change em when they wake up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I wake them up and change them asap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It depends... (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

If my LO is napping and poops I leav her be, I figure if shes bothered she will wake. But if its nighttime I wake her up and promptly changer her. Just wondering what others do...

Also, DS' naps have gotten very short! Hes taking (2) 45 minute naps and thats it. DD is still napping great. Anyone else in the same boat?

Last thing, poop - Im not sure if its because we are eating soo many solids but I feel like these guys are pooping non-stop! Not runny, regular poops --- anyone elses kids this regular?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls poop anywhere from 3 - 10 times a day. They eat tons of fruit and some days it seems like they constantly poop! As far as napping goes...the only way I know they have pooped while napping is if they wake up fussing. If they are napping I don't go in their room! MOST of the time the way it goes is they poop when I put them down for a nap. Our routine is I put them down for a nap and they play for a good 30 minutes. Then they start to fuss and I have to go in and change poopy diapers, re-insert pacifires, and then they go to sleep. At night they sometimes poop but I know they don't do it until they wake up b/c they don't have diaper rashes; if they'd pooped earlier in the night then by the time I change them in the morning their butts would be raw. I'd say every-other morning at least one of them poops before their first diaper change. Oh and they still nap about 3 hours a day, broken up into 2 naps. On a good day they nap 1 hour in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. They are 15 months.

My girls are big poopers.

3. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

ive been wondering what others do too, glad you made a poll. ds pooped in the middle of the night a few months ago and i didnt know it. i have no idea how long he laid in it, but i didnt smell a thing and he didnt fuss about it. lordy the next morning his poor butt was firey red and he screamed for 3 days every time i changed him. now when he wakes up to eat i smell him and if i THINK it may smell i unzip the jammies and check.

4. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

My girls could care less if they poop and I don't change them right away. I have gone in several times and you can just smell it in the room. I don't wake them to change them though. I would say they poop at nightime 4 out of 7 nights a week. They never have rashes so I know their little butts are tough!

5. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I said it depends. If it happened during a nap, I'd probably let them go because they don't sleep that long anyway. If it happened during the night, I'd change them. I don't usually have issues at night. A lot of times their first diaper change in the morning is poop, but I think they do it after they wake. My daughter has really sensitive skin, so if she did it during the night she'd be so red. It's pretty much their routine to do it first thing in the am and not usually during naps or at night.

As far as their naps, they've always been all over the place, so I can't say when they've shortened. Some days are good, some are really short. If I can get 2 one hour naps a day out of them, I'm happy. Sometimes one is 40 minutes and the other is 1.5 - 2 hours. You never know what you're going to get when.

As far as poops, I'd say 3-5 a day.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(E&Msmom @ Jan 21 2009, 01:27 AM) [snapback]1155218[/snapback]
    If my LO is napping and poops I leav her be, I figure if shes bothered she will wake. But if its nighttime I wake her up and promptly changer her. Just wondering what others do...

This is what I do. I voted "other."

QUOTE(cottoncandysky @ Jan 21 2009, 01:51 AM) [snapback]1155252[/snapback]
    lordy the next morning his poor butt was firey red and he screamed for 3 days every time i changed him. now when he wakes up to eat i smell him and if i THINK it may smell i unzip the jammies and check.

I put a nice layer of diaper cream on every night before bed to help combat this problem.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If mine are sleeping (unless it's nighttime) I will leave the poo be until they wake up. At night, we always put diaper cream on the little one's just in case but for some reason, mine rarely poop overnight. I voted other on nap time shortening because it really does depend on the day. Some days I will get 2 two hour naps and others I might get one nap. It just depends on what the kiddos are feeling that day.

8. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Mine aren't bothered when they poop. They could have a monsterous poop and not care. I check for poop before every nap. They've also been napping like, well poop :lol: before we moved [12/26] they slept 2 hrs twice a day and then maybe a 30 min nap before bed. Since we moved I'm lucky if they sleep for more than 30-45 mins each nap. I think Once they napped for 1.5 hrs and of course that was on a weekend when DH was here, lol.

Back on the PooP. They usually poop once a day each. sometimes twice [rare]. If they don't have a poop for more than two days I give them prune or pear juice. That usually fixes the problem within 4 hrs or so ^_^