When to be concerned...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mimi85, May 26, 2012.

1. mimi85

mimi85 Member

Hi All!

I'm 31w0d and I've been on strict bed rest since 27w5d when my OB found I was 1.5 cm dilated and 60% effaced. I was admitted, put on magnesium, given steroids and released after a five day stay. My question is about when to call my OB and what to look out for. I'm confused because frequent painless contractions is what got my cervix to the point its at now. I suffered from back pain and menstrual cramping type pain that were constant, not rhythmic. Since going on the bed rest I definitely feel a lot less back pain and cramping but it still comes and goes. I wouldn't call it rhythmic though. I don't know. I'm just worried and want to be as aware and proactive as possible. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so so so much in advance!

~mimi

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Mimi, I don't have anything concrete to offer besides the advice that you be seen and checked frequently. How often are you seeing your doctor now? What types of visits are you having (ultrasounds, cervical checks, nst's)?

My labor in the week before my water broke sent me into L&D three times with back pain and bloody show, but I was brushed off. Once my water broke I was in full labor within just a few hours. Do not be afraid to ask for a high level of care. I'm on my phone and can't see if you have a ticker- how far along are you? By the time I had my girls at 30 weeks I was being checked twice a week.

Keep us posted!

Edit: Duh, you said 31 weeks. I'm not reading very well, huh? I hope you're going in to your ob often!

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Call and ask. I've had 6 kids with 4 providers and all were more than happy to answer questions and concerns. I really think they'd much rather you call even for minor things than possibly ignore something that they would want you to come in for.

4. mimi85

mimi85 Member

Thank you both so much for your replies. Yup I'm 31w1d now and im seeing my ob once a week. She hasn't checked my cervix yet since the one that sent me to the hospital, not by a physical exam or ultrasound. I have a growth ultrasound scheduled for June 3rd and since they werent able to measure my cervix at the last one (done during my hospital stay) im guessing they wont be meaduring it at the upcoming one either. So all i know is that I was 1.5 cm dilated and 60% effaced as of 3 and a half weeks ago. Im not on any daily meds either, no tocolytics or anything. Every time I see her and tell her about the random cramps and back pain and the frequent painless tightenings (about 4 to 6 an hour nowadays) she says it all sounds fine and nothing to worry about and that I just have an irritable uterus that wants to contract frequently. I guess I should just try my best to monitor myself for any changes at all and keep a low threshold. Thanks again!

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest from 24 weeks on for being 2 cms dialated and 60% effaced. I also had back pain, and menstrual cramps. I was told if you have 4 or more contractions in an hr span you need to go in. Good luck!

6. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Wow, your pregnancy seems a lot like mine was!! I contracted all the time and 5-10 "belly tightening" contractions in an hour was not uncommon for me. My doctor told me that if I had more than 6 an hour to go to the ER... well if I did that, I would have been there every day! So, I went to be checked if I had more than 6 an hour for 3 hours if they didn't stop after water and rest. I went quite a few times and all were "false alarms." This was all "normal" for me until... BAM... one time it wasn't and I was doubled over in pain... and that was the real deal. I was 5 cm when I got to the hospital and admitted for bedrest on magnesium in the hopes of making it to 34 weeks. I made it 2 days - even on meds - and my twins were born at 31w6d. Looking back, I am still not really sure what I missed or what I could have done to keep them in longer :-( They were healthy, but did 3 weeks in the NICU.

Obviously, check with your doctor on when he/she wants you to go in, but I would say that if you have more than 6 contractions or belly tightenings in an hour (even painless) for a few hours or if you have back pain that radiates towards your belly in increasing pain intensity over time (rhythmic or not), then it is time to grab your bag and go. Being on bedrest, you are doing the best possible thing for your babies... resting. Keep chugging, mama!!

7. mimi85

mimi85 Member

Thank you Slipper and Weegus! I'll definitely take you're advice to heart. As you know, keeping them cooking is priority number one for me and I'll be sure to give my ob a call whenever I feel 6 or more contractions for a few hours and the back pain symptom you mentioned I think is especially important because before the hospitalization, I was suffered from tons of chronic pain that looped like a band around my lower back and pelvis. I just thought it was normal back then since this is my first pregnancy but now that I think about it, it was probably causing my cervix to change! Thank you all again so much! I truly feel so much better after reading your replies!