When to go to separate bedrooms for b/g twins?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by smacneil, Aug 16, 2012.

1. smacneil

smacneil Member

I have 4.5 year old b/g twins who currently share a bedroom and are still in toddler beds. Yes, they still fit in toddler beds, but probably not for long! The problem is that two twin beds will not fit in their current room comfortably so we will have to make the switch to separate bedrooms. They know it's coming. The current playroom will be my daughter's bedroom and she already has a dresser in there. I was just wondering when most people with b/g twins move them to separate bedrooms.

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you have the room then really, whenever you are ready to switch them to twin beds ;)

We don't have the room, so our older kids (10 yr old boy and almost 6 yr old girl) share a room, and our b/g twins (3.5 yrs) still share a room. Once our twins start school in a year, we'll split the kids up boys in one room, girls in the other.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I split A&R up when their sleep habits diverged. Alice started needing more sleep at night, less in the morning, and Royce the opposite. So when they turned 4.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for them to ask at this point. We have a spare room but we'll have to move the guest room to the office, and the office is full of junk, so I'm not looking forward to it.

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I remember sharing a room with my brother until we were 5 & 6 (not twins). I also remember him throwing up on me, so I really wish my Mom would have separated us sooner! :rofl:

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we did it when we built our new house when they were 3

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi and Luke are still sharing a room at 8 1/2. Their parents are also waiting for them to ask for separate rooms. (N & L know that one of them will get to move into the spare room/office, so it isn't that they don't know they can have their own rooms they are just happy together for now).
    They also have limited space in their bedroom and were in toddler beds until they were old enough to have bunk beds (I think they were about 5 1/2 when they switched to the bunks) because two twin beds would have made the room very squashed. The bunk bed they have comes apart so when they do eventually get their own room the beds can just be split.

8. MommyMelissaReturns

MommyMelissaReturns Well-Known Member

Mine have had separate rooms since they were less than 2, not for any other reason than we had the extra room........but usually (as of last night even) end up sleeping in each other's rooms, and not alone. :hug:

9. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

At 4.5 they still share a room. And both refuse to even talk about having their own room. So I'm not sure when we'll separate them, but doesn't seem like it will be soon! We joke that Rea will probably try to tag-along with J in college even. And he gives into her so much he'd probably let her! :lol: